Forum » FFXI » General » My XI derped
My XI derped
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 18:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Stupid title i know >.> anyway, recently i tried to start playonline and get the message "cannot open registry key for install path of playonline-compatible software. id 1000".

I looked into it and this seems to happen when someone tries to run XI from an old HDD on a new computer, and the proper files aren't in the registry... But i didn't do any such thing. POL, XI, and all expansions are installed as usual. I checked my registry, everything is as it was, i even applied an older backup and still had the issue.

So i figured I'd just uninstall/reinstall POL, which fixed that issue. Then when i go to hit play for XI, it says XI isn't installed. I check registry, its there. Then i check installed programs, they're all there... So I'm in the process of reinstalling all the expansions.

So this already probably sounds like a pointless post >.> but i wanted to ask, wth just happened? mostly so i can stop it from happening again (cause I'm gonna have to use year old macros x.x). I haven't logged on for 4-5 days, and since then i've been doing a lot of modding on Oblivion (all reputable mods that i got off a stickied thread on steam). The only programs that were installed outside the oblivion files is Python26. Would that somehow have done something? if it did, what did it do? my registry is fine and intact, ran Ccleaner to make sure, its all good.

Sorry for long post but... i just don't even know.
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2011-06-11 18:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go to System Restore and restore my system to a date where everything worked fine, that would take care of it as registry info is stored in.

Cause could be anything from failing hard drive, infection to basic power outage.
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 18:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

well after spending all that time modding oblivion, running a restore would kinda suck XD and its ONLY XI and POL that have this issue, everything else is fine... really hope its not a failing HDD though x.x
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-06-11 18:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said:
well after spending all that time modding oblivion, running a restore would kinda suck XD and its ONLY XI and POL that have this issue, everything else is fine... really hope its not a failing HDD though x.x
If you're running Win7 you can restore JUST the Playonline folder. Light Crick, Ploperties.
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 18:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it would seem any form of system restore wouldn't help anyway, I've installed so much stuff for the modding in the last couple days the the latest restore point would be... well yesterday XD. But i checked my HDD with a few things and it seems to be ok... gonna run virus checks in safe mode after i uninstall XI all the way.

Like i said though, reinstalling really isn't that big of a deal... I'm just really confused as to why/how this came about
By Paulus 2011-06-11 19:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If you encounter any more problems you may want to run a chkdsk and see if there are any possibly bad sectors thats causing the problem. Just sounds that way to me.
 Fenrir.Emirii
Server: Fenrir
user: Emerii1
By Fenrir.Emirii 2011-06-11 19:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You happen to be running STEAM install by chance? I had this exact same problem with steam install (never with actual CDs)

What I did to fix it, is uninstall FFXI/POL/Steam, delete all files pertaining to it, and all registry keys. I restarted and ran a registry checker/cleaner and restarted again. Proceeded to install steam and FFXI with no problems after that.

For some reason I guess some data gets corrupted and in limbo, getting rid of everything and starting fresh seems to work... The STEAM FFXI is horrible btw... If you have CDs, just use those. You can backup your macros by going into: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/ffxi/SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XI/ and find the folder "User" copy and paste into My Documents or some place safe.
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 19:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

i run XI through CDs, though i will definitely run a registry cleaner after i delete all the files regardless. I'm OCD about having hard copies of games XD aaand i have terrible internet >.>;

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Emirii
By Fenrir.Emirii 2011-06-11 19:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as you don't install the Steam version of POL and instead get it from the PlayOnline website, It wont update or check files to a highly outdated version of POL... CD's should be fine but don't check any files until you 100% update FFXI and POL together.
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2011-06-11 19:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said:
Stupid title i know >.> anyway, recently i tried to start playonline and get the message "cannot open registry key for install path of playonline-compatible software. id 1000".

I get a message like this from time to time. I just try to load the game again. 90% of the time the game loads.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Emirii
By Fenrir.Emirii 2011-06-11 19:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
but don't run a registry cleaner again :x

Or if you do, make sure which files are being erased.

If you run a registry cleaner, you should ALWAYS look to see what's being erased... most of the time it's just file extensions and bad pointers or what not, but programs you use can sometimes be picked up as well. Or if you don't want to check, don't run one at all xD
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 19:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
FFXI has 0 bit files that are a link to other files etc... I used to do a registry cleaning until what OP said happened, ended up working after I uninstalled everything related to FFXI + erase folders then install in order of POL, FFXI, expansions, then update; should work after that, but don't run a registry cleaner again :x

Or if you do, make sure which files are being erased.
i'm gonna have to start keeping more reg backups if this is the case x.x thanks for all the info guys, and derp on me... should have copied my macros before i uninstalled all this lol... forgot i could do that, oh well XD time to spend all night reinstalling/updates haha
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 19:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

yea this makes me think it could be my fault this happened, i trust Ccleaner a bit too much, i'll just run it and fix everything it lists with no questions. Gonna have to change that >.>
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-06-11 19:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xellith said:
Bismarck.Patrik said:

I get a message like this from time to time. I just try to load the game again. 90% of the time the game loads.

this.. time to time i get the msg... just reclick my icon and it loads fine 2nd time around
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 19:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

i tried a good 10+ times XD

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 19:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bismarck.Patrik said:
yea this makes me think it could be my fault this happened, i trust Ccleaner a bit too much, i'll just run it and fix everything it lists with no questions. Gonna have to change that >.>
oh lord lol -_-
your reaction seems to confirm my suspicion lol XD

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-06-11 19:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao the best part is Lilium just came on since i hit random on windows media player XD
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-06-11 20:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said:
Well it would seem any form of system restore wouldn't help anyway, I've installed so much stuff for the modding in the last couple days the the latest restore point would be... well yesterday XD. But i checked my HDD with a few things and it seems to be ok... gonna run virus checks in safe mode after i uninstall XI all the way.
Pay attention:

Are you running Windows 7? If so, right click the Playonline folder, click on the Previous Versions tab. There you go, restore ONLY the Playonline folder from a restore point.

If you're not running Win7, you should be for almost this reason alone.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [343 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Emirii
By Fenrir.Emirii 2012-05-19 11:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this is an old topic, but someone e-mailed me about this thread and I wanted to share my response because it fixed their problem with a steam installation:

Before you begin, i recommend creating a windows restore point..

do these steps in this order:

1. Uninstall FFXI from the program files list, and if the game isn't
listed in your program files, uninstall it from steam it's self
2 .restart your computer
3 .Uninstall steam from the program files list
for good measure, after you uninstall steam, check your registry files
to see if FFXI is still in there, navigate to the start menu, click
"search" and type in 'regedit' and press enter. Registry editor will
open, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node
Look through those folders and if you spot any "PlayOnline" and
"PlayOnlineUS" folders, delete them entirely. If you don't find them,
the uninstall was success.
4. Restart your computer
5. Open up regedit again and look HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node
look through the folders again and see if you see a "Valve" folder, if
so, delete it.
6. Finally, go into your program folders (x64) and look for a Valve
folder, if there is one, delete it. If you found the registry for
Valve still installed and deleted it, i would suggest restarting
(again)
7. Once you verify that steam and FFXI is banished from your computer,
you can reinstall steam.
8. Once steam is fully installed on your computer, login to your steam
account once.
9. before installing any game, restart your computer
10. Login to steam and download ffxi again (i know it takes foreeverr)
I would suggest doing this overnight or some time where your
connection won't be interrupted
11. Once steam downloads ffxi, let it install, but don't open FFXI
through steam!! Very important
12. Right click on the FINAL FANTASY XI game that appears in your
library, and hit "Settings"
13. Navigate to "Updates" tab, and select "do not automatically update
this game"

once FFXI is "installed" on your computer through steam DO NOT OPEN IT
THROUGH STEAM!! I believe steam messes it up somehow...
Navigate to the folder which FFXI was installed and open POL through
your normal window usually:
C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\ffxi\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer

click "pol.exe" and play online should load up. Update playonline like
normal. Click play on FFXI and it *should* start updating.

Now once FFXI is updated and you are able to FULLY login on your
character, in theory you should be able to open the game through steam
after that.