New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Rating system
Rating system
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Artemicion 2011-08-12 16:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how the general opposition stance is more or less just "Grow a pair" without any sort of elaboration, explanation or merit to their point of view.
These are the same folks that would [-] for no reason other than for their sense of self fulfillment.
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-12 16:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
You got a bit carried away Vaness.
Not very sure what that means, but as long as everyone comments it means this thread is seen and taken in consideration.
 Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Yomisha
By Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha 2011-08-12 16:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said:
Who honestly is petty enough to rate down someone anyway? What's the point? It's not like you aren't able to rebuttal if you find something totally disagreeable.
True, Zah. In the end, this would cause more drama than a simple rate down though.

lol Or not! (see thread...)
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2011-08-12 16:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said:
irregaurdless of what they said. Or for what ever other reasons they come up with.
Just like when your a kid.. "If your not gonna play nicely now, im gonna take it away!"
but irregaurdless isn't a word
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-12 16:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha said:
Caitsith.Zahrah said:
Who honestly is petty enough to rate down someone anyway? What's the point? It's not like you aren't able to rebuttal if you find something totally disagreeable.
True, Zah. In the end, this would cause more drama than a simple rate down though.

if it was just used because ppl disagreed, I wouldn't support this.
Thing is it is not the case.
Same comment x4 but one of them will get rated down to the core just because that person post regulary and might had a different opinion then you did at some point.

It's like saying your comment is ***just because you annoyed me.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-12 16:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Feifongwong said:

This thread is offically HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. I'm out.
I win :)

EDIT: Inc tons of rate down on my profile comments /YUS
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-12 16:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Phoenix.Sehachan said:
Not very sure what that means, but as long as everyone comments it means this thread is seen and taken in consideration.
No. I meant uhm...you got a bit overheated about it?
 Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha
By Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha 2011-08-12 16:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Caitsith.Zahrah said:

Same comment x4 but one of them will get rated down to the core just because that person post regulary and might had a different opinion then you did at some point.

It could also be that someone is tired of seeing the same comment over and over? Maybe they want some spice added to it? :P

Really though, my statement still stands. It's a better outlet than having them troll the hell out of you. The rate downs can always be turned into positives. It wouldn't be the first time someone's asked me to rate up a comment/picture/post to outweigh the negatives.

I really think this is being blown way out of proportion.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-12 16:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
Phoenix.Sehachan said:
No. I meant uhm...you got a bit overheated about it?
I'm not overheated, as I said it is not personal.
But usually when I support something, I do it at 100% not 99% not 50%.
Sorry, if I look aggressive.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2011-08-12 16:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Just ignore it. Who cares about what people who you have no real personal relationship with you think about you? I swear! Sometimes this site just gets to be too much.

Do you know how easy it is to have a "*** it!" attitude?

Example: Meh...*** it!

/conscience clean and off to more fun topics
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-08-12 16:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said:
Just ignore it. Who cares about what people who you have no real personal relationship with you think about you? I swear! Sometimes this site just gets to be too much.

I envy that disposition Zah, but sadly not everyone can be awesome like you <3
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-12 16:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Caitsith.Zahrah said:

It could also be that someone is tired of seeing the same comment over and over? Maybe they want some spice added to it? :P

Really though, my statement still stands. It's a better outlet than having them troll the hell out of you. The rate downs can always be turned into positives. It wouldn't be the first time someone's asked me to rate up a comment/picture/post to outweigh the negatives.

I really think this is being blown way out of proportion.
I personally think they should leave the [+] so if you like you use the [+] if you don't either you take your balls (if you have some obv!) and comment or just do nothing.

It's not asking puppies, sushine and lollipops.It's just to keep nice comments from getting hidden.

EDIT: or they could just take of the hidden fonction when there a comment is rated down.PPL should use the report fonction when the comment is really THAT bad anyway.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-08-12 16:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Chill.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-12 16:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Rate down is a lazy way to feel better /shrug
"I'll make this pic have the more proper rating"
"that guy's a moron"
that's all, can't blame it sometimes but yeah Vaness you do get carried away at times
But but =( I never post in this kind of discussions usually.
I actually avoid fights/arguments as much as I can caus I know I suck at it and my english suck too.
By Artemicion 2011-08-12 16:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda like it the way it is now.
If someone brings something contributing, intelligent, awesome, funny or whatever to the table, the people in the like mindset will +1. Those that disagree enough to elaborate on why and (hopefully) bring supporting arguments to the table, will post accordingly.
Those that wanted to be jerks and just be negative for no reason can just get lost or lurk in submitted screenshots since that seems to be their last bastion of angst.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-12 16:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Chill.

Citation needed.
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-08-12 16:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is causing more drama than either course of action...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kaisuko
Server: Asura
user: Kaisuko
By Asura.Kaisuko 2011-08-12 16:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said:

Who said debating isn't? I personally have fun debating a topic with someone, if they get mad in the process, I get to laugh and enjoy the rest of my day. xD
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2011-08-12 16:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Might not create as much of a douchebag deterrent as I would hope.
After all, most jerks are full aware that they're ***, and carry on their usual business without hiding behind a veil of anonymity.
I guess it was wishful thinking that having your name exposed in the negatives would make others think twice about doing it for whatever reason they're doing it, and thus facing potential confrontation.
But what are the odds that will be civil, right?
I rate things down with good reason, and it's nothing I'd back out of if I lost my anonymity. Being held accountable for how you rate something is really no different than being accountable for what you write, which is what this is all about. If you write something meaningless, be prepared for some people not to approve of it, or simply don't do it at all.

Moreover, if 20 people are on this supposed "negative list" do you really think they'll see it as anything more than being among the cool kids who agree with them that the comment is worthless? I can't see this as possibly deterring anyone.

Some people are just ***, surely. But if we already accept that much, what is so difficult about dismissing their opinions? It's only one more step.
 Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf
user: Pyroelf
By Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf 2011-08-12 16:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

TL;DR.

Just get rid of the rating system all together if its going to be half done (+ only? I think facebook is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE for that personally). Rating systems are kinda stupid to begin with, and tbh I think its worse when the only thing you can do is "rate up"
By Artemicion 2011-08-12 16:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said:
Artemicion said:
After all, most jerks are full aware that they're ***, and carry on their usual business without hiding behind a veil of anonymity.
I guess it was wishful thinking that having your name exposed in the negatives would make others think twice about doing it for whatever reason they're doing it, and thus facing potential confrontation.
I rate things down with good reason, and it's nothing I'd back out of if I lost my anonymity. Being held accountable for how you rate something is really no different than being accountable for what you write, which is what this is all about. If you write something meaningless, be prepared for some people not to approve of it, or simply don't do it at all.

Moreover, if 20 people are on this supposed "negative list" do you really think they'll see it as anything more than being among the cool kids who agree with them that the comment is worthless? I can't see this as possibly deterring anyone.

Some people are just ***, surely. But if we already accept that much, what is so difficult about dismissing their opinions? It's only one more step.

Indeed, but back when we did have both + and -, nobody was accountable for either direction because it was anonymous.
Though sadly I think exposing those that would - would just bring about more drama than we already have as confrontation and heated flame wars will just become commonplace.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-12 16:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So... The other day I left two comments for science.

One was saying "Congratulations!" when I saw someone had obtained a Black Belt, and the other was saying "Not important" or words to that effect on a screenshot with a 80 masa.

The negative comment received a negative score, and the positive comment received a positive score.

So I'd suggest to grow a pair if you're going to leave a negative comment, or if that's not possible to simply leave positive or no comments.
[+]
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-12 16:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Ragnarok.Kongming said:
Artemicion said:

Indeed, but back when we did have both + and -, nobody was accountable for either direction because it was anonymous.
Though sadly I think exposing those that would - would just bring about more drama than we already have as confrontation and heated flame wars will just become commonplace.
I don't think it would have because we pretty much knew already who was rating us down lol ;p
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-12 16:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I've seen people getting rate-down'd just for saying "I love you" :/

But anyway, I'm on the side of getting rid of it, but I don't care that much.
 Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha
By Quetzalcoatl.Yomisha 2011-08-12 16:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
I personally think they should leave the [+] so if you like you use the [+] if you don't either you take your balls (if you have some obv!) and comment or just do nothing.

It's not asking puppies, sushine and lollipops.It's just to keep nice comments from getting hidden.

EDIT: or they could just take of the hidden fonction when there a comment is rated down.PPL should use the report fonction when the comment is really THAT bad anyway.
Again, the comment is "hidden" but it can still be viewed. I don't see why this matters.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-12 16:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also as a side note, I'd far prefer a thread rating system then an individual post reputation system, especially if that thread rating was apparent from the main page. (out of 5 stars for example)

I'd also prefer a permanent Karma system seeing as we're only allowed 20 rate ups a day. It would make more sense to have a static number with an individual players reputation by it, under the name.
By Artemicion 2011-08-12 16:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Also as a side note, I'd far prefer a thread rating system then an individual post reputation system, especially if that thread rating was apparent from the main page. (out of 5 stars for example)

I'd also prefer a permanent Karma system seeing as we're only allowed 20 rate ups a day. It would make more sense to have a static number with an individual players reputation by it, under the name.

I'm not familiar with this "karma system".
How does that work exactly?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7