Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Bonecraft » Wyvern Scales
Wyvern Scales
 Phoenix.Randorn
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Randorn
By Phoenix.Randorn 2011-06-01 11:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone have any good information about farming these? Wiki doesn't have the drop rate for mobs and chocobo digging seems a bit slow. Furthermore, do these drop from Abyssea wyverns?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [64 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Octorok
Server: Shiva
user: Eldarias
By Shiva.Octorok 2011-08-04 22:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the necro, but I'm fast approaching this synth and would also like the to know the best way of obtaining these, or perhaps an easier synth for 85-87?
By Narb 2011-08-04 23:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Wyvern_Scales
Labyrinth of Onzozo is easy.
 Shiva.Octorok
Server: Shiva
user: Eldarias
By Shiva.Octorok 2011-08-04 23:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I'll try onzozo
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1490 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Johnb
Server: Bismarck
user: Johnb
By Bismarck.Johnb 2015-09-03 07:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for necrobump, but these scales are relevant again with the new abjurations. I see other posts describing how it is easy to get wyvern scales through the Wyvern monster, but that monster is very rare pop and them sometimes it doesn't even drop anything. Also, FFXIDB does not report it to even drop wyvern scales (http://ffxidb.com/zones/213/wyvern) My friend suggests Voidwatch is the best alternative but even then that is slow. Does anyone have any other ideas?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-09-03 07:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Voidwatch will probably be more productive for you overall, particularly if you have a mule.

Alternatively, you can get Wyvern Scales by despoiling them from Wyverns of any type. You have a 5 minute timer, and you can also use the THF Trust that Despoils (Naja?) for additional shots at them. When she despoils, you can resummon her to reset her timer.

If you purely want scales, farming Vouivre's PHs in Ifrit's Cauldron while chainsummoning the THF trust and spamming Despoil is probably the quickest way to get them. Vouivre is a 100% dropper.
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-03 07:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The trust is Nanaa Mihgo. I recommend against the wyverns in Ifrit's as you can also end up despoiling wyvern wings. I find the best place is Riverne Site B on the Pyrodrakes and Ignidrakes as they will only despoil wyvern scales. Avoid the Blazedrakes that are right next to the Ignidrakes as they can despoil wyvern wings and wyvern skin as well.
 Bismarck.Johnb
By Bismarck.Johnb 2015-09-03 08:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Chocobo Digging a viable option? I don't know how good the rate is with Veteran rank but I was able to snag one in Eastern Altepa just with Recruit rank. If I leveled up my chocobo digging skill...
 Bismarck.Johnb
By Bismarck.Johnb 2015-09-03 09:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Nanaa Mihgo doesn't use despoil that often and it's kind of random, plus I keep stealing TP instead of items when I use despoil myself.
 Sylph.Namonaki
Server: Sylph
user: Namonaki
By Sylph.Namonaki 2015-09-03 09:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was getting wyvern scales pretty often in my Voidwatch coffer than I can count. I accumulated roughly 8 stacks before I npc'd them since a friend no longer needed them. You can solo most VW, if you have stones, give it a go.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-09-03 09:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Do they come from any voidwatch coffer or are the dragon type mobs more likely?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-09-03 09:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

XIDB says it's about a 7% drop rate, so one every 14 voidstones or so.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-09-03 10:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Namonaki said: »
I was getting wyvern scales pretty often in my Voidwatch coffer than I can count. I accumulated roughly 8 stacks before I npc'd them since a friend no longer needed them. You can solo most VW, if you have stones, give it a go.
/sadface

I will give you so much money to never do that again
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-09-03 10:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Johnb said: »
Sorry for necrobump, but these scales are relevant again with the new abjurations. I see other posts describing how it is easy to get wyvern scales through the Wyvern monster, but that monster is very rare pop and them sometimes it doesn't even drop anything. Also, FFXIDB does not report it to even drop wyvern scales (http://ffxidb.com/zones/213/wyvern) My friend suggests Voidwatch is the best alternative but even then that is slow. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Bring your friends to VW :D
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-09-03 17:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Johnb said: »
Nanaa Mihgo doesn't use despoil that often and it's kind of random, plus I keep stealing TP instead of items when I use despoil myself.

Actually she does. Kill a mob to about 50% then turn around. I seem to be able to get her to do it most often when I turn around if I am right next to her side (so if she is off to the side instead of behind me I press both back and side movement buttons so I slide to by her).