Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-19 01:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Camate said:
Though we need to do some more testing, and we are not sure whether it would be possible yet, we are looking into the possibility of making/displaying shouts throughout multiple areas.

To be a bit more specific, we will be looking into grouping certain areas server side so that a shout from one of the areas in that group will be heard from each of the other areas.

For example:
If Ru’Lude Gardens/Upper Jeuno/Lower Jeuno/Port Jeuno were to be grouped together, making a shout in Ru’Lude would be heard in the other areas (Upper Jeuno/Lower Jeuno/Port Jeuno). However, this would ultimately quadruple the server load, so we will definitely need to pay close attention to this. [source]
What are your opinions on this topic? Would this benefit the game or create instability causing more spam? Although it would help selling/buying items or anything for that matter there would, theoretically, be more shouts per minute. This is both good and bad but which is more?

Also, would you prefer a Server wide shout rather than a Region wide shout (although I highly doubt they would go the server wide route). There could even be new commands like, /shout|/sh (single area), /regionshout|/regsh, /servershout|/servsh

Discuss!
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-05-19 01:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If we could make a way to shut people up serverwide through a vote too... sure, why not? I don't really want to have idiots having access to an entire server to bug people though.

Basically whats being considered is the world chat channel that some other games have already. IF they add the capability of turning off these channels if you so desire I don't see what the problem is besides perhaps a waste of resources?
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-05-19 01:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The way PJ has been as far as congestion, this is probably the number one way to eliminate this, along with adding new abyssea npc's to rulude gardens. im all for it!
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-05-19 01:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

why would this even be needed? i dont feel like seeing someones shout spam because they decided they are gonna quit the game, and wanna see gm jail so they are saying

GAYGAYGAYGAYGAYHOMOHOMOHOMOHERPYDERP
a thousand times on my screen
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-19 01:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The good thing about server shouts is with that Dawnn, they would get reported and removed faster :P

lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-05-19 01:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Region-wide shouts?

Ugh. No.

Unless they add a separate chat filter for "region-wide shouts", in addition to the (already-present) normal shout chat filter. Then it would be okay.

If they're going to do that, it would also be really nice if S-E established different "shout" chatmodes for "Looking for Members" type shouts vs. dumb banter shouts.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-19 01:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, and they should add filters and monitor it.

Wherever there's an abyssea NPC, shouts should travel.

That means PJ wouldn't be a necessary Idle place.
[+]
 Bismarck.Veruna
user: Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-19 02:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Played a game that was like that. Complete and utter spamfest all day every day.
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2011-05-19 02:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Region-wide shouts?

Ugh. No.

Unless they add a separate chat filter for "region-wide shouts", in addition to the (already-present) normal shout chat filter. Then it would be okay.

If they're going to do that, it would also be really nice if S-E established different "shout" chatmodes for "Looking for Members" type shouts vs. dumb banter shouts.
in any given city, especially jeuno, the vast majority of people are in one area. I don't think this will result in a substantially larger shout volume.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-19 02:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If anything, like someone said before, it will result in the shouters not being in the heavily congested areas allowing for less lag but same amount of shouts.

It may result in more shouts but I don't think it will be crazy. Now if it was server wide then of course it would get crazy. I think region is appropriate.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-05-19 02:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Region-wide: Eh, what the hell? Won't bother me any.

But server-wide... that's just a horrible idea. Not only are the logistics and money problems large issues (and I'm not going to lie, I know VERY little about computers, so I won't get into all that stuff perchance I end up making myself look like a larger fool than I already have), but I don't want to read all the drivel from every person on every last server. No offense to Asurans, but from what I've read in the past, you guys have some messed up people. I don't want to have to read them acting like total idiots. Sure, some people I wouldn't mind talking to (like bitching out Akkarin for leaving Bis without saying goodbye, the jerk), but they'd have to adopt some sort of worldwide blist system for the rest.

In short, Region-wide yes, Server-wide oh hell no.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-19 02:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you misunderstand what server wide would mean, for instance if you make a shout all of Bismarck would hear it (unless your in your mog house? probably would still block them in there), not every server.

Still, it's not a great idea and I would prefer region if any change was made.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-05-19 02:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Yes, and they should add filters and monitor it.

Wherever there's an abyssea NPC, shouts should travel.

That means PJ wouldn't be a necessary Idle place.
What Sir Flion said. City-connected shouts so one doesn't have to stand around in PJ forever and people will be distributed evenly through the whole world.
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2011-05-19 03:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Bazaars should be separated from port Jeuno. I'm sure that would help a bit. I'd say atleast 1/4 of PJ is bazaaring.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-19 03:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

They should just make a server menu of all the bazaar's so you don't have to go looking around waiting for characters to load. Like the auction house kinda but from your menu (maybe replacing the helpdesk button >.>!)
[+]
 Kujata.Rhydia
Server: Kujata
user: Rhydill
By Kujata.Rhydia 2011-05-19 11:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish there was a way to have a shout channel similar to the looking for party system. So if you wanted to hear shouts for Abyssea for example, you could join that channel and no matter where you were you could hear the shouts for Abyssea stuff. Or if you join the Voidwalker channel you could hear about groups forming for that. This would allow you to go out and do things solo but not miss out on a possible group you would want to join.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-05-19 12:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the reasons I set my homepoint in Sandoria instead of Jeuno was to avoid the shouts. My problem is this:

Player A: Teleport-Dem {Can I have it?} {Reward}

Player B: {Head} {Paper} {Do you need it?} {Tell} Player B!

Player A: (oh noes my request wasn't the last one seen!) Teleport-Dem {Can I have it?} {Reward}!

Player C: Herp-da-derp nonsense gibberish

Player A: (oh noes again!) TELEPORT-DEM {CAN I HAVE IT}?!?!?!

And so on. There's also the occasion shout-war or trolling in shouts which can at times be halfway amusing but mostly I don't care and don't need to see it. Rarely, if ever, have I joined a shout group. In the past five or so years of playing, I've only responded at all to a few shouts, mostly shouts asking for help or information. The short of it is, shouts aren't terribly necessary to me so it seems silly to have to make them server-wide.

If they did put in server-wide shouts, I hope I would have the option to block just those shouts and not the regular in-zone shouts. I fear that if shouts were server-wide, then people who were shouting for a group or an event of sorts would spam it, particularly if there wasn't an option to shout in just your current zone. If that option DID exist, then I fear that legitimate shouts for a group or event would be confined to one zone while stupid argumentative or troll shouts would be the ones that were blasted server-wide.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs 2011-05-19 12:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe they should try zone wide shouts first.
 Lakshmi.Phaffi
Server: Lakshmi
user: phafi
By Lakshmi.Phaffi 2011-05-19 12:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
There is a way to already, it's called /seacom and people need to start using it more!!

Also, I can find as many pros to cons in an idea like this; this would make finding members for everything easier and more stand-up comedy, okay I'm for it!

the current problems with /seacoms is 1. people don't put things in the correct places.
eg: Want to buy:
[Dynamis - Xarcabard]
1)THF 2)THF 3)THF 4)THF 5)THF
6)THF 7)THF 8)THF 9)THF 10)RDM

and 2. for the magian seacoms, half the people don't put the trial number and they'll put what they're doing in french or whatever language they normally speak
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-05-19 12:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Paulus said:
I think Bazaars should be separated from port Jeuno. I'm sure that would help a bit. I'd say atleast 1/4 of PJ is bazaaring.

Abyssea killed rolandmart on Ragnarok. Not sure if it changed it for everyone else but ever since I've found bazaar hunting to be retardedly annoying.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2011-05-19 12:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They need to make a "key word" system. /sh's should not go beyond the zone its in except to players that have chosen specific words to notify them. like is someone in jeuno is /sh'ing for a VNM , if certain players around the server have VNM in their key word list they will see the /sh regardless of where there at.....but that will never happan =/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Aegisbushido
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Aegisbushido 2011-05-19 12:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Bahamut.Paulus said:

Abyssea killed rolandmart on Ragnarok. Not sure if it changed it for everyone else but ever since I've found bazaar hunting to be retardedly annoying.

its dead here D:
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-05-19 12:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I see it is SE failed in relieving their congestion of Port Jueno by adding Maw warps to home nations BECAUSE people want to be able to view chats. Adding region-wide shouts won't relieve this congestion, but add to it, by spamming the chat log. I see where this is going, and what's prompted this proposal. If there're region-wide shouts, then people can be in their home nations and still view shouts. However, the inconvience of the locations of the Joarchim/Horst, will still have people setting HP in Jueno; amongst other reasons. I would vote against a region-wide shout and instead, make the duo more accessible in the home nations and adding a Jueno warp. This way one could make their HP in the nation, and warp to Jueno whenever they want. So, instead of zoning into their MH in jueno for some peace and quiet, they can just zone home.