TX Funds Formula 1 Race, Canning Teachers

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » TX funds Formula 1 Race, Canning Teachers
TX funds Formula 1 Race, Canning Teachers
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-11 14:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone 2011-05-11 14:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I'd love to have a US Grand Prix, I just don't think it should be made at the expense of education. Bernie should buck up and find some worthy sponsors if he wants one in the US.
 Carbuncle.Arona
Server: Carbuncle
user: Arona
By Carbuncle.Arona 2011-05-11 14:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Nascar isn't exclusively left turn onry. Watkins Glen and Infineon Raceway are both road course tracks used in various NASCAR series races.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding
user: Taigatan
By Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding 2011-05-11 14:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
NASCAR (which only races on ovals)
Formula 1 (which have tracks with mixs of long straights and many winding turns)

^This... F1 uses both right and left turns, chicanes, hairpins, crests and other features to make the track more challenging... I can't really say F1 > teaching... but I like F1 >.>
By zahrah 2011-05-11 14:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
zahrah said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
lol.
I feel like I don't need to have kids with the number I support through my taxes.
"nah I dind't want that 19-22% of my pay check"

You own your house too, right? Does a portion of your property taxes go to your school district too?
Insult to injury eh?

I know, right? Hmmm...You know. They do give tax cuts for married couples, their dependents, plus we own property. LOL!

/ponders while Urial runs away
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-05-11 14:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, what? A state is spending money on something when they could be spending it on teachers?

THIS NEVER HAPPENS.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-05-11 14:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So texas gets MORE stupid?

/facepalm
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-05-11 14:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
zahrah said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
lol.
I feel like I don't need to have kids with the number I support through my taxes.
"nah I dind't want that 19-22% of my pay check"

You own your house too, right? Does a portion of your property taxes go to your school district too?
Insult to injury eh?

I know, right? Hmmm...You know. They do give tax cuts for married couples, their dependents, plus we own property. LOL!

/ponders while Urial runs away
Not gonna lie. I love the property owner perk. Also the first time home buyer thing was amazing when that check came in the mail.
By zahrah 2011-05-11 14:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
Not gonna lie. I love the property owner perk. Also the first time home buyer thing was amazing when that check came in the mail.

To hell with your $8,000 dollar check. I'm just jealous. :(
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-05-11 14:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cant really be suprised by this. The education system in this country has been in the crapper forever. Teachers should be held in the same light as doctors, atronauts and rescuers. This is why they invented private school I suppose. But hey, those children who will be shoved into over crowded class rooms and have no books can always work at McDonalds or do construction. Its the American way. Money now, f--k the future.
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-05-11 15:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Ramuh.Urial said:

To hell with your $8,000 dollar check. I'm just jealous. :(
nah i only got 6k because its 8k or 10% your house and i got a superrrrrrrrrrrr cheap condo under foreclosure for 60k. I then used my 6k to fix it up ^^ was a great deal for me :P
 Carbuncle.Arona
By Carbuncle.Arona 2011-05-11 15:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Pawnskipper said:
Cant really be suprised by this. The education system in this country has been in the crapper forever. Teachers should be held in the same light as doctors, atronauts and rescuers. This is why they invented private school I suppose. But hey, those children who will be shoved into over crowded class rooms and have no books can always work at McDonalds or do construction. Its the American way. Money now, f--k the future.

Let's hope they dont get into construction =/
 Leviathan.Erang
Server: Leviathan
user: Erang
By Leviathan.Erang 2011-05-11 15:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

you know nascar does in fact do 2 grand prix tracks a year, at least they used to.

both are equally challenging. i would prefer F1 though. i haven't met anyone that can take me in the twisties, never will either! i'll have to dig up some old video of my 94 5.0 ripping up a 911 and turbo 914 at TMS, open track day @ panoz racing school. old school for you turd nuggets.

i also passed a supercharged cobra that day, he packed his ***up and left the track after that very lap.

oh, and this is nothing new, Texas teachers have been getting stiffed for quite a while.
 Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone
By Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone 2011-05-11 15:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I gave up on F1 years ago. It just isn't the same. Want to see greatness? This is greatness!

Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-05-11 15:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I think throughout my entire high school years, i had MAYBE 3 teachers that gave a ***. I am all for firing teachers, not necessarily the F1 race, but teachers need to be held to higher standards. It wasnt until i got to college that teachers actually went out of their way to help students do better.

People that think throwing money into the public school system is actually going to help are dead wrong. It sounds like a good idea, but then you have schools with science books from 1997 and two brand new 50 inch HDTVs in the cafeteria with new speaker systems.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-05-11 15:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
I think throughout my entire high school years, i had MAYBE 3 teachers that gave a ***. I am all for firing teachers, not necessarily the F1 race, but teachers need to be held to higher standards. It wasnt until i got to college that teachers actually went out of their way to help students do better.

People that think throwing money into the public school system is actually going to help are dead wrong. It sounds like a good idea, but then you have schools with science books from 1997 and two brand new 50 inch HDTVs in the cafeteria with new speaker systems.
My old HS built like a brand new 2 milion dollar stadium and then subsequently after cut our good classes...pretty much for the states sports>education essentially.
it's pretty bad but true lol.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-05-11 15:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

My old HS built like a brand new 2 milion dollar stadium and then subsequently after cut our good classes...pretty much for the states sports>education essentially.

Exactly. so if you throw money at the schools, it isnt going to the right places. Which is why we shouldnt give them any money until we know where its going.
By zahrah 2011-05-11 15:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

My middle school paid for a day at Six Flags for those who did exceedingly well at our standardized test at the time, but then turned around and allowed the "underprivileged kids" go with us, even though a good portion of them bombed the TAAS test. Not much of a reward if it's given to everyone.
By zahrah 2011-05-11 15:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is an example of the teachers that they are booting too...

My friend has taught AP Calculus for three years now. 9/10 of her students pass the Advanced Placement test, and receive their college credit for it. She also has the lowest failure rate out of all the math teachers when TAKS testing season rears it's ugly head. She has been consistent and proven herself through her students' success.

She got the pink slip after coming back from maternity leave because she only had three years of experience. Read back for the BS seniority rule.

EDIT: Slip, if you're reading this is in Katy too!
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-05-11 16:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, the whole tenure idea IS pretty f#&*@d up.

Edit: morality
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-05-11 16:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Exactly. so if you throw money at the schools, it isnt going to the right places. Which is why we shouldnt give them any money until we know where its going.
Can't do something like that without everyone getting involved or at least a large group getting involved.
To essentially disallow something like this you would need to either change the system from within or stop paying taxes.
Since these systems are so broken from within they are made to combat changes in the first place so you'll have a hard time getting it through, meaning most are between a rock and a hard place, you'd need the people and the legislature to actually come to a consensus and get what can be done on the table rather than letting crooks and phonies who "say" they are doing it for the public interest.

zahrah said:

My friend has taught AP Calculus for three years now. 9/10 of her students pass the Advanced Placement test, and receive their college credit for it. She also has the lowest failure rate out of all the math teachers when TAKS testing season rears it's ugly head. She has been consistent and proven herself through her students' success.

She got the pink slip after coming back from maternity leave because she only had three years of experience. Read back for the BS seniority rule.

Yup, if you have a baby in a state like that while holding a teaching job you're SOL it seems lol.
I think qualifications and merit(merit being performance, and just standing because of actions within the community..etc) should trump experience noted by "time served", but it's sad that it doesn't.
 Carbuncle.Arona
By Carbuncle.Arona 2011-05-11 16:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:

That made me die a little inside. =/ I've always hated the seniority BS. Not just in govt jobs, but in the private sector as well.
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-05-11 16:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I understand, the concept of tenure in teaching goes back to the days when new ideas and new ways of thinking could land you in a noose or worse. The idea of protecting someone's profession - which involves (should) new ways of thinking and new ideas - makes a whole lot of sense in that light.

Then again, this is more than a couple hundred years ago. So much for radical ideas, huh?
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-05-11 16:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

America will never have a big F1 fan base so we (euro fans) have never understood why they're making a track for it. The fact it's compromising other key financial areas to do so is even more /facepalm-able.