How Often Should You Clean Inside Your Laptop?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » How often should you clean inside your laptop?
How often should you clean inside your laptop?
 Bismarck.Eburo
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-05 12:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
I think it also depends on the type/model of laptop. I know mine took 50 minutes just to get to the fan, and I hear about people only having to remove 5 or 8 screws to get to it.

Ouch. Well, to be fair mine only got this dusty after 2 years of use, 24/7 for the most part. So, you could probably get away with once per 9-12 months.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 12:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

interestingly enough I had bought some thermal paste when I was shopping yesterday (about to repair some 360's) and it's actually artic silver

it's not electrically conductive, go figure.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 12:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Eburo said:
Siren.Kalilla said:
I think it also depends on the type/model of laptop. I know mine took 50 minutes just to get to the fan, and I hear about people only having to remove 5 or 8 screws to get to it.

Ouch. Well, to be fair mine only got this dusty after 2 years of use, 24/7 for the most part. So, you could probably get away with once per 9-12 months.

yeah I wish they'd standardize form factors for the sizes of laptops already.. at least for the 17" ones...
 Sylph.Tabbykitty
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Tabbykitty 2011-05-05 13:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
And I'm simply saying I'm not very knowledgeable of computer hardware lol, as most girls would agree they are the same.
I disagree with this statement... being a girl myself.

Actually, as much this could fall true with the average girl.. but having been exposed to "If you're alone on the side of the road, and your car has a flat tire.." and being the only girl in the group WILLING to get dirty to fix it, around my age, and KNOWING what I was doing. Heh. Of course, willing and knowing are 2 different topics.
~ Computers aside, I've grown up around them since I was.. oh, 4 at the earliest I can remember.. seen my dad, and brothers, take their computers out every-so-often to blow out dust.. I've even done the same. Never bought the can air stuff, have an air compressor in the garage.. just open the side (or both) and use the air gun to blow out dust, keep it xx distance, and make sure nothing is loose after.

90-95 isn't bad for a computer. Having had fans go out on my tower, I know that the fan just revving up is less a worry than not hearing it at all, and when checking not blowing out any hot air. That's when THAT is a problem. Been there, done that.
For a computer to just shutoff, there's plenty of things which could be going on. Naturally a computer is told to turn off when it reaches over 170-180. Higher than that, and you risk frying/melting things inside the computer, and the HDD having a higher fail rate while in use. In turn, a failed drive, you lose everything and the only way to get it back is to pay big $$ or to take it to a clean room setting and remove the memory disk and put it into a new drive. Graphics are more likely to fail, and shortening the lifespan of the card(s). RAM can fail, again, shortening the lifespan of the card(s).
I've also had one computer where a wire in the power supply was broken, and as a fail-safe so it doesn't fry everything, it automatically shuts down, or restarts as someone would bump the computer.

It's not a matter of girls not knowing anything about computers, it's a matter of how much are they willing to learn or have someone else do the job. If all else fails, ask your local computer store.. most depending on how old it is, will ship it to the manufacture for maintenance under warranty, or some my even do it there depending on the problem.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 13:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

the i7 in my laptop isn't supposed to go over 100 Celsius, I'd say if you're running in the 90's you have a problem that you need to address.
 Bismarck.Eburo
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-05 13:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
the i7 in my laptop isn't supposed to go over 100 Celsius, I'd say if you're running in the 90's you have a problem that you need to address.

I don't know about that. jk
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 13:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Eburo said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I don't know about that. jk
touche sir
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-05 13:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Eburo said:

Why, is there a joke about that? O_o There's not really anything funny about a product recommendation, maybe someone who is unsure of what thermal compound is will see "arctic silver" and instantly know they've got the right product. It's purchased at Radio Shack by the way.

Because especially in retail stores they tend to jack up the price of arctic silver because it's so popular. I guess the best example I could give is that arctic silver is like the Elmer's glue to regular paste.

Elmer's glue may dry a minute faster, but that's no reason to spend twice the price on it.

There is a huge fanbase for arctic silver, maybe it has marginally better thermo-conductibility, but thermo compound is pretty much thermo compound.

I read a review that claims it'll drop your core temps by 10 degrees. If you dropped your core temps by 10 degrees by adding thermal compound alone, you had no compound on your sink to begin with.

If you're a fan of AS, that's cool, I don't know about the electrically conductive nature of it, I guess it's possible. I just know about the reputation and that made me laugh. It was mostly for me though.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 13:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:

Why, is there a joke about that? O_o There's not really anything funny about a product recommendation, maybe someone who is unsure of what thermal compound is will see "arctic silver" and instantly know they've got the right product. It's purchased at Radio Shack by the way.

Because especially in retail stores they tend to jack up the price of arctic silver because it's so popular. I guess the best example I could give is that arctic silver is like the Elmer's glue to regular paste.

Elmer's glue may dry a minute faster, but that's no reason to spend twice the price on it.

There is a huge fanbase for arctic silver, maybe it has marginally better thermo-conductibility, but thermo compound is pretty much thermo compound.

I read a review that claims it'll drop your core temps by 10 degrees. If you dropped your core temps by 10 degrees by adding thermal compound alone, you had no compound on your sink to begin with.

If you're a fan of AS, that's cool, I don't know about the electrically conductive nature of it, I guess it's possible. I just know about the reputation and that made me laugh. It was mostly for me though.
there is none...

and it was cheaper at the shack than on newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-100-007-_-Product

exact tube I spent $9.99+tax on
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-05 13:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
there is none...
yeah I looked it up on their site and they claim there isn't any
 Valefor.Krishpy
Server: Valefor
user: KrispyCat
By Valefor.Krishpy 2011-05-05 13:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I try to keep my electronics dusted as best I can since I have two parrots in the house. African Greys give off a fine white powder that they use to preen their feathers and it gets on EVERYTHING lol. Especially the electronics. I try to keep most of my electronics out of my room, where their cages are, as much as possible. I've heard stories of people with greys or cockatoos who had their TVs or electronics die on them because they failed to clean the birdy dust off, so it makes me extra cautious to dust frequently! D:
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 14:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
there is none...
yeah I looked it up on their site and they claim there isn't any

time to get out the power supply and leads and run a test?
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-05 14:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah I believe them, it'd be kinda silly to make it so when it's sitting directly on the motherboard. Their advertising makes it sound like it's pure silver though, which is misleading. if it was just a silver paste it would be conductive.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 14:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Nah I believe them, it'd be kinda silly to make it so when it's sitting directly on the motherboard. Their advertising makes it sound like it's pure silver though, which is misleading. if it was just a silver paste it would be conductive.

it's a synthetic silver compound.

but yeah
 Bismarck.Eburo
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-05 14:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:

there is none...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-100-007-_-Product

Yeah I spent $10 on mine too, or I could have spent $10 for Dynex brand from Best Buy.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 14:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Eburo said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:

there is none...

Yeah I spent $10 on mine too, or I could have spent $10 for Dynex brand from Best Buy.

I actually have both, going to return the latter though, since I only need 1 tube and I currently have 2 dynex and 1 AS. I need to hunt down some articles and a multimeter and a set of screwdrivers and have at it with a stack of failbox360's...
 Bismarck.Eburo
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-05 14:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:

there is none...

I actually have both, going to return the latter though, since I only need 1 tube and I currently have 2 dynex and 1 AS. I need to hunt down some articles and a multimeter and a set of screwdrivers and have at it with a stack of failbox360's...

Lol, I probably could have fixed my old Xbox if it came down to it, but the warranty scared me, so the towel trick got it working long enough to trade to GameStop...
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-05 15:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /horror scream

Back in the way old days we used to clean/repair fax machines, (when we weren't making omlets out of pterodactyl eggs.) When business got slow we would hang up a sign (carved in stone)"Fax Cleaning $50.00" and have a parking lot full of people (who drove Flintstones cars) with fax machines crammed full of cat fur or mice fur or animal fur or pepsi.... for some weird reason cats used to do things to fax machines. Unspeakable things, I still have nightmares and don't even get me started on the mice that used to get into things. The Horror! I'm all itchy now...

Wait!!!! I was going to simply warn you to clean your laptop more often if you have pets but then I suffered some sort of flashback, sorry.
[+]
 Sylph.Tabbykitty
By Sylph.Tabbykitty 2011-05-05 15:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

That goes to say; If you're running a monitor system in Fahrenheit, 100 Celsius is 212 Fahrenheit. My brother has his in Fahrenheit and it normally runs between 86-120, depending on time of day and season, which is still well cool on the Celsius scale. Either way, unless you bypass/change it in the BIOS which isn't hard to do, the computer is going to turn off as a fail-safe from frying or causing a short somewhere.

Again like said earlier; Natural wear and tear. Components do wear out over time, creating more heat in the process of trying to keep up, wearing them down even farther. You can either choose to lessen that strain, or do nothing about it and watch it cause problems.
Laptops aren't meant to keep forever, like any computer, and are less upgradeable than an average house computer. Because of the way laptops are built, they're more likely to overheat in general, which is why they have made cooling pads and advise you from activity that will block the vents. A laptop has much less space to heat-up than that of an average house computer. If you know your laptop has faulty fans, like my dad does, keep an external fan near the computer while at a desk/table.. they have small USB ones.
An average house computer, you can just replace whatever fails as long you know what your computer takes and what you want from it, a laptop has less options of such.
 Bismarck.Eburo
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-05 16:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tabbykitty said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

That goes to say; If you're running a monitor system in Fahrenheit, 100 Celsius is 212 Fahrenheit. My brother has his in Fahrenheit and it normally runs between 86-120, depending on time of day and season, which is still well cool on the Celsius scale. Either way, unless you bypass/change it in the BIOS which isn't hard to do, the computer is going to turn off as a fail-safe from frying or causing a short somewhere.

Again like said earlier; Natural wear and tear. Components do wear out over time, creating more heat in the process of trying to keep up, wearing them down even farther. You can either choose to lessen that strain, or do nothing about it and watch it cause problems.
Laptops aren't meant to keep forever, like any computer, and are less upgradeable than an average house computer. Because of the way laptops are built, they're more likely to overheat in general, which is why they have made cooling pads and advise you from activity that will block the vents. A laptop has much less space to heat-up than that of an average house computer. If you know your laptop has faulty fans, like my dad does, keep an external fan near the computer while at a desk/table.. they have small USB ones.
An average house computer, you can just replace whatever fails as long you know what your computer takes and what you want from it, a laptop has less options of such.

My computer had its peak in overheating problems when it wouldn't even start...

I tried several discs to try and start up alternatively because I thought I had a virus. Linux's Live CD said, "Reached critical temperature (114*C) Shutting down..."

So anyways, is that 86-120 Fahrenheit on a desktop PC, or a laptop? On a laptop I'd only expect that temperature at idle, with a cooling pad, in an air conditioned house.
 Sylph.Tabbykitty
By Sylph.Tabbykitty 2011-05-05 16:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Eburo said:
Sylph.Tabbykitty said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

I tried several discs to try and start up alternatively because I thought I had a virus. Linux's Live CD said, "Reached critical temperature (114*C) Shutting down..."

So anyways, is that 86-120 Fahrenheit on a desktop PC, or a laptop? On a laptop I'd only expect that temperature at idle, with a cooling pad, in an air conditioned house.

86-120 in a non-ac house, tower computer. AC blew up one year, new unit, and been dealing with the joy of "we can't repair it, the part is from a 3rd party company" which they work with. Anyways; He's also gone into the BIOS and changed the fail-safe temp to something a little higher, which is also how I know it's easy enough to do.
The heat of Texas, so there's a very constant 70-90% of humidity to add to all of it, which the monitor doesn't add to the temp of the computer. Humidity in general isn't great for a computer either.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-05 16:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Computer temps in terms of Fahrenheit? What is this nonsense? I only know temps in C for the comp and F for everything else.
 Bismarck.Eburo
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-05-05 16:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tabbykitty said:
Bismarck.Eburo said:
Sylph.Tabbykitty said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

86-120 in a non-ac house, tower computer. AC blew up one year, new unit, and been dealing with the joy of "we can't repair it, the part is from a 3rd party company" which they work with. Anyways; He's also gone into the BIOS and changed the fail-safe temp to something a little higher, which is also how I know it's easy enough to do.
The heat of Texas, so there's a very constant 70-90% of humidity to add to all of it, which the monitor doesn't add to the temp of the computer. Humidity in general isn't great for a computer either.

Ah okay. Yet another reason for me to want to build an actual desktop PC. >.>

Also so I can overclock it or run it 24/7 at full power without worrying about overheating.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-05-05 16:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Siren.Kalilla said:

Totally depends on the manufacturer.
I'm at a loss when it comes to deciding which brand to buy for laptops. Though I've generally been a fan of Asus products.
Always have been pretty stable and long lasting through the years.

I have an Asus i7 I bought about 2 months ago, at least I think it is an i7.

Anywho, works really well for AutoCAD, have not tried doing Photo Shop on it yet. The other day I was shitty drunk and spilled about half a glass of wine all over it and the floor, while I was farming Bria KIs with friends.

I immediately upended it and got a towel, all the while keeping the NM from going red after my war died due to my inattentiveness to the game. The thing kept on ghugging and I was able to squeeze in a win and not waste a KI possibility. And it is still running fine.

I am impressed to say the least. But now at some point after that fiasco I may have to open it up and get the isopropal alcohol out.
Man I miss my 2M school from the Navy, had all sorts of fun circuit board repair goodies.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-05 18:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Computer temps in terms of Fahrenheit? What is this nonsense? I only know temps in C for the comp and F for everything else.

me too, however I'm trying to force myself out of the "standard" units..

metric ftw
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-05-06 12:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:

metric ftw

Only if you are a dirty apple-pie hating communist!

Metric system is for pinkos.

;p j/k
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-05-07 01:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:

metric ftw

Only if you are a dirty apple-pie hating communist!

Metric system is for pinkos.

;p j/k

I don't really eat pie... :D