Religious Activity Does Not Lower Blood Pressure.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online

You must be logged in to do that.

Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Religious activity does not lower blood pressure.
Religious activity does not lower blood pressure.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-05-06 07:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
However, your completely failing to recognize that the VAST majority of non-religious individuals are NOT atheists.

really?

i mean usually i don't go after this stuff, but from mr. grammar himself?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-05-06 07:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
I think Refreshtwo is the anti-Starr.....

Forgive me, but huh? LOL!

you had to be there
 Ifrit.Daemun
Server: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-05-06 08:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the "atheists are the closed-minded ones!!" argument. Yeah, well maybe they are. However, your completely failing to recognize that the VAST majority of non-religious individuals are NOT atheists.
He was specifically calling out atheists, most other non theists (agnostics etc) don't share this trait of feeling superior to other people. Your point is moot.
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Look who's late to the party. Hey Sev
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-05-06 08:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-05-06 08:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
As for the Mensa grade comment about religion making you close-minded: That's an unfair generalization. If i spouted a stereotype about any other demographic, my post would have been instantly nuked. I don't hate all muslims because of a radical group; just as I think it's unfair of you to assume that all religious people are close minded because of the few social interactions you've experienced with a small portion. I understand it's bandwagon lately to join the aetheist cult. It's been having an uprising of "coolness" to slam people of faith in the past couple years. Maybe it's just me passing through the age where I see all the college kids who are influenced at college by professors and peers. It doesn't make YOU jump up 40 IQ points to spout "I'm smart because I'm not religious." It makes YOU close-minded (not to mention overcompensating).
Wow, that's a gigantic failure on your part. I ain't part of any "cult" (lol). I've been non-religious my entire life. I didn't "jump on a bandwagon" in college. There may be some people out there who "become" atheist to gain access to a social group ... but those people are probably VERY few and far between. After all, if someone wanted to gain access to a larger social group, it would make a LOT more sense to join a religion ... not denounce religions. And, you're right (duh), it doesn't make someone "jump up 40 IQ points" by denouncing modern religious dogma. You've got it backwards: Denouncing religion doesn't make one intelligent. However, {b]intelligent people tend to denounce religion.[/b] As for the "atheists are the closed-minded ones!!" argument. Yeah, well maybe they are. However, your completely failing to recognize that the VAST majority of non-religious individuals are NOT atheists. But back to my original point: you can say I'm stereotyping until you're blue in the face. I'm not. My opinion on this matter stands the test of time, for CENTURIES of modern human history. Religious dogma and the inherent cultural prejudices it produces are responsible for an unfathomable amount of hatred, violence, murders, and civil unrest over the past 2000 years ... touching almost every corner of the globe.

Bolded is just untrue...

Italic is somewhat true but I love to see how people slap the blame on this for religion and tend to leave out the other causes for the hatred, violence, murders, and civil unrest.... People tend to forget all the other things that lead to this like money/greed, power, racism, among many others....

I just don't get how people come up and try to say that religion is the cause for all this ugliness, or at least the majority, in history dating back centuries... I would wager to say people use take their own preudjudices and use other things as an excuse to act on them...

I'm not saying religion or those who practice are innocent but its definitely not the only reason evil is committed in this world... In the last century alone we've had many wars in which all together tens of millions have died and I'm failry sure they weren't religiously motivated...
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-05-06 08:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:

As for the Mensa grade comment about religion making you close-minded: That's an unfair generalization. If i spouted a stereotype about any other demographic, my post would have been instantly nuked. I don't hate all muslims because of a radical group; just as I think it's unfair of you to assume that all religious people are close minded because of the few social interactions you've experienced with a small portion.
I understand it's bandwagon lately to join the aetheist cult. It's been having an uprising of "coolness" to slam people of faith in the past couple years. Maybe it's just me passing through the age where I see all the college kids who are influenced at college by professors and peers. It doesn't make YOU jump up 40 IQ points to spout "I'm smart because I'm not religious." It makes YOU close-minded (not to mention overcompensating).

Wow, that's a gigantic failure on your part.
I ain't part of any "cult" (lol). I've been non-religious my entire life. I didn't "jump on a bandwagon" in college.
There may be some people out there who "become" atheist to gain access to a social group ... but those people are probably VERY few and far between. After all, if someone wanted to gain access to a larger social group, it would make a LOT more sense to join a religion ... not denounce religions.

And, you're right (duh), it doesn't make someone "jump up 40 IQ points" by denouncing modern religious dogma.
You've got it backwards:
Denouncing religion doesn't make one intelligent.
However, intelligent people tend to denounce religion.

As for the "atheists are the closed-minded ones!!" argument. Yeah, well maybe they are. However, your completely failing to recognize that the VAST majority of non-religious individuals are NOT atheists.
But back to my original point: you can say I'm stereotyping until you're blue in the face. I'm not. My opinion on this matter stands the test of time, for CENTURIES of modern human history. Religious dogma and the inherent cultural prejudices it produces are responsible for an unfathomable amount of hatred, violence, murders, and civil unrest over the past 2000 years ... touching almost every corner of the globe.
I'm bored and hungover from my bout of drinking 151 yesterday so I feel the need to provide some further insight on this.

albeit elana was correct in getting miffed over the whole aetheist cult deal past that he just illustrated what utter egoism he tends to purport every time he makes a post on this form.
so in light of that i'm going to re-illustrate some of the "facts" provided, though most of you should be able to identify some of the BS he pushes on a daily basis.
so the play by play is going now:
first paragraph is fine...i think i've started to recognize a bit of a pattern with this, most of the time elana is agreeable...completely. he can make a valid argument and wrap it up properly.
the problem is that ONCE he makes the valid argument he tends to draw it out further and add unnecessary facts to further illustrate such egoism.
it starts when he "goes back to his original point", i'll boil it down with this.

"You can say i'm stereotyping but i'm not"---- sounds fine so far.
Then past that he is like.
My opinion is TIME TESTED. TIME TESTED he says.
you know what else is time tested?
the bible man.
seriously.
you can't really make an argument about facts mulled from centuries of "higher knowledge" without identifying that the other camp has that exact same argument.
and in light of that you shouldn't even make this a basis or point in your argument in the first place.
rather than attesting the duration of a belief to the argument why don't you just work solely with the factual content?
i feel that's the big problem with both sides of the spectrum.
they get side-tracked by wanting to prove that their beliefs are as "firm" as the opposing side and when they are accused of something rather than refuting the direct accusation they refer to something completely irrelevant.
it's a poor discussion tactic and it doesn't express your actual position but more what you want your position to....look like from what i take it.
that's all i really have to say on that. so in closing.
when you want to make an argument about something.
try not to support your facts with the point that your beliefs have existed for centuries.
argue it with factual content, you will illustrate your points better and people will actually understand the points you are trying to make.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-05-06 09:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

"I'm not close-minded but more non-religious people are smarter and also religion is the source of all bad stuffs."

Also, I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear that not all of that paragraph was directed at you in particular. Your close-minded comment struck a nerve because I found it dripping with hypocrisy (I mean that with as matter-of-fact, and not so much as an insult for what it's worth) and I can understand how it seems like my whole comment was personal.

I think that any point you brought up that wasn't worth completely dismissing, has been covered with my opinion somewhere else in the thread. The only comment I do want to reiterate: saying that religion being in the world causes so much strife is grossly ignorant and biased. If I said "Think of World Wars 1 and 2. Weren't they horrible? If Germans didn't exist the world would be a better place." I would be verbally raped for the next 3 pages. Somehow modern society has made it ok, however, to blast religion for some reason. Don't get me wrong.... If i had it my way there would be complete freedom of speech (I think it's the only way to dissolve sterotypes and connotations of words - by taking away the taboo of saying them), but you are making some LARGE assumptions about an infinitely varied group of people. That's like the definition of close-minded lol.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-05-06 09:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I'm bored and hungover from my bout of drinking 151 yesterday so I feel the need to provide some further insight on this.
my liver is crying from empathy. We used to use a fork to pop out the flame retardant cap. Ugh....... worst hangovers ever

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
albeit elana was correct in getting miffed over the whole aetheist cult deal past that he just illustrated

I chortled (yes chortled) and my boss looked over at me funny
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-05-06 09:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
"I'm not close-minded but more non-religious people are smarter and also religion is the source of all bad stuffs."

Also, I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear that not all of that paragraph was directed at you in particular. Your close-minded comment struck a nerve because I found it dripping with hypocrisy (I mean that with as matter-of-fact, and not so much as an insult for what it's worth) and I can understand how it seems like my whole comment was personal.

I think that any point you brought up that wasn't worth completely dismissing, has been covered with my opinion somewhere else in the thread. The only comment I do want to reiterate: saying that religion being in the world causes so much strife is grossly ignorant and biased. If I said "Think of World Wars 1 and 2. Weren't they horrible? If Germans didn't exist the world would be a better place." I would be verbally raped for the next 3 pages. Somehow modern society has made it ok, however, to blast religion for some reason. Don't get me wrong.... If i had it my way there would be complete freedom of speech (I think it's the only way to dissolve sterotypes and connotations of words - by taking away the taboo of saying them), but you are making some LARGE assumptions about an infinitely varied group of people. That's like the definition of close-minded lol.

it's one of those what-if kind of facts.
"religion causes the world such strife and grief", but they really can't identify a world without religion so it becomes a more opinion related point than a factual one.

it's easy to say A would be better without B, but unless you live in a world where A and B dont' coexist you shouldn't really make that as a point in the first place.

i think i'll use elana(and probably many others) for one of my little experiments.
i'll just look at his points and sift between the driftwood used to incite argument and the actual content and illustrate what is what thusly.

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
my liver is crying from empathy. We used to use a fork to pop out the flame retardant cap. Ugh....... worst hangovers ever

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
albeit elana was correct in getting miffed over the whole aetheist cult deal past that he just illustrated

I chortled (yes chortled) and my boss looked over at me funny
chortlin' is great, though not good if you have food or beverage in the mouth lol..then it's a mess.
man this is one of those times that my brain actually functions on a level that i enjoy because.....i dunno..just not motivated enough to get emotionally vested in much of anything at the moment which makes for a pretty fun time.
wish i remembered what all happened when i blacked out last night though.
didn't do anything on the net but did send one crazy text out lol
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-05-06 10:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Refreshtwo said:
Atheist Overlord VS Catholics Money King Pin With A Field Power Bonus

So There Were Dinosaurs on the Ark Too
it's easy to just jeer at those who take the bible literally...but i dunno facetious and malicious proofing methods don't really seem to be the best way to go when you want to actually change thinking, it just further solidifies their intentions in the eyes of the public.
you'll always have people believing silly things, but belittling othres in all intents and purposes is not even really about them and what they believe, it's more about padding your own ego than anything.
humans and by humans i really can only speak for myself behavior-wise tend to defend what they try to represent by nature.
so when you put a negative light on their belief, a person that doesn't necessarily have the knowledge of that tendency can behave in a peculiar...but normal way.
they try to go down with the ship so to speak, defending their positions to the bitter end regardless if what proof provided can debase what they are defending.
and especially with religious and philosophical discussions you see this just due to the fact that most of what is discussed is based more solely on the interpretation of written word meaning for every fact militantly disproven, you can be sure there are 50 methods pushed after that that debase what was proven previously.
it's mainly because when it comes to religion a lot of the conversation isn't based on concrete facts but interpretations of written word.
that being said it is highly pervasive to the act of changing how someone thinks to put what they believe in a negative context.

you gotta be more self-aware if you want to change the hearts and minds of others
[+]
By zahrah 2011-05-06 11:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

you had to be there

It seems like it was a jolly old time! LOL!

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! You must have proof of an after-life after drinking that! LOL!
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-05-06 12:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

you had to be there

It seems like it was a jolly old time! LOL!

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! You must have proof of an after-life after drinking that! LOL!
It's weird.
I'm still a bit hungover right now and I've found out that being hungover....makes me a badass at my job.
i knew those damn brain-cells were causing me problems.
i identify the main reasoning for it is that my behavior becomes a bit different because i'm just a bit emotionally dull right now.
must've washed away a good deal of inhibitions last night, or i might just be brain damaged...but to that i say...who isn't in some way lol.
so killing brain cells made me slower but smarter in the means that i haven't really let myself get stressed out so far.
But with that, i'll tell you it's gonna be another year before I drink again lol.
it was just the thing i needed though.
i've been reborn through many different substances but this is a first with alchohol, or maybe it isn't and i just wasn't at the place in my life to attribute such things to it.

it functioned as a sort of point of view reset.
hell yeah time for the fun part of being bipolar since i'm past the depression stage and me becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and all that!!