Where Were You 9/11/2001?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Where were you 9/11/2001?
Where were you 9/11/2001?
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11
By zahrah 2011-05-01 23:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that Osama is out of the picture, this was milling around in my brain. Just kind of curious...

I was driving to my high school in the morning when I heard it over the radio. I was late, so it was probably ten minutes to eight central time. I remember the confusion that the DJ had, and I'm pretty sure they thought it was a hoax at the time.

Most of the teachers kept the TVs off, but were all consumed with what was going on. (They had the luxury of watching it on their computers.) It wasn't until I was in athletics that our coaches abandoned mat drills, and whatever miscellaneous BS we were going to do that day, then I finally got to see what had happened. The coaches led us all into the locker room and we watched the live feeds on a continuous loop for an hour and a half.

EDIT: LOL! I needed to do a couple edits. Damn you, red wine!
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-05-01 23:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Got out of school early, 8th grade
[+]
 Phoenix.Slytribal
Server: Phoenix
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2011-05-01 23:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I had my appendix removed that day, I remember watching the news of it from the hospital bed
[+]
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-05-01 23:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in class during 5th grade (Heh). I remember walking into the classroom and the teacher had the TV on watching the footage. We pretty much just watched it for the whole day. A remember a lot of parents actually picked their kids up early from school that day too. It was kind of scary, since I think most of us at the time didn't actually comprehend what was happening and what would happen following the event.
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2011-05-01 23:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Was in the 9th grade in Fayetteville, NC. It was exam week and we were all held in our 3rd period class (which was french class for me) essentially on lock down for some unknown reason and then the Principal came over the speaker thing. Told us to all turn the tv onto the news and that she wanted us all "to take a moment of silence for what is happening right now in our country"

then we switched classes and I had to take my english exam while my teacher sat in the library, eyes glued to the tv like every other sane person.

later on I went to gym class and my coach was all "if any of you are checking out early, let me know because Im locking your stuff in the locker room" and I was all "I never get checked out for anything" and then my coach locked the locker room and some teachers aid ran up to her and said Im "being checked out" and I got a death glare and she had to unlock my stuff.

my mother said she didnt trust public transportation in a national crisis..so yeah...excite!

actually I was kinda traumatized by the event. I lived near the airbase so airplanes flew over our house quite often. I couldnt sleep for forever.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-05-01 23:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Got out of school early, 8th grade

Leviathan.Alkalinejoe said:
I was in class during 5th grade (Heh). I remember walking into the classroom and the teacher had the TV on watching the footage. We pretty much just watched it for the whole day. A remember a lot of parents actually picked their kids up early from school that day too. It was kind of scary, since I think most of us at the time didn't actually comprehend what was happening and what would happen following the event.

I imagine those were good moves for that day.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-01 23:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I was sleeping during the first plane.. A friend called and woke me and my wife up, assuming we'd already heard, after a few seconds, it became apparent to him we had no idea what he was talking about.. So he told us to turn on the news.

My wife was freaked out, I live in the armpit of Exxon, one of Texas' largest refineries is just a few miles away, at most. Our particular Exxon plant was also listed as one of the likely top 10 priority targets by terrorists.

I was just kinda shocked, I didn't actually freak out or anything, it was sorta like it was all a dream, it just seemed impossible.
 Asura.Alexstaifter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-05-01 23:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Im from NYC, I was in my 8th grade History class, and we saw it through the windows.
 Titan.Lillica
Server: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-05-01 23:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Me and my buddy were late for street law class in 9th grade. When we came in the teacher had the news on and we sat there for a minute before I finally asked what the hell movie has a 10 minute cutaway to a news report.
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2011-05-01 23:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Was in 5th grade. Got out of school when I heard the news.
 Phoenix.Uzugami
user: SSJAV
By Phoenix.Uzugami 2011-05-01 23:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Was in like, 6th grade? I had to stay in school full day+After school. :(
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-01 23:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Was in 7th grade, teacher came in crying and told us about it and how they could see the smoke (lived in NY). A lot of names were called over the announcement thing for parents wanting their kids.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-05-01 23:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in 9th grade, I think, or 10th. Every morning we had Homeroom where we watched Channel One news with some pretty Asian lady reporting. The teachers shut down the TVs and made us all stay in Homeroom for awhile. Then they locked the school down and only let us leave if our parents came and got us.

It was a bad area for school violence (we had 9 bomb threats in one year and a student stabbed on campus) so when they locked the school down we thought it was just a test run or that there had been a gang fight in the courtyard or something. But when they didn't lift the lockdown and the teachers started crying, that's when most of us figured out something was actually wrong.

My Dad was a teacher at the middle school, which was right across the road from the high school. He couldn't leave his station, but he called the high school and demanded that they send me to him immediately. So I went and spent the day with Dad until they allowed everyone to go home. It was one of the many times that I got special treatment for being the daughter of teachers. :/ But I liked getting the extra time with my dad.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-01 23:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

God damn, everyone talking about how they were in 5th grade and ***makes me feel old..
[+]
By zahrah 2011-05-01 23:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I was sleeping during the first plane.. A friend called and woke me and my wife up, assuming we'd already heard, after a few seconds, it became apparent to him we had no idea what he was talking about.. So he told us to turn on the news.

My wife was freaked out, I live in the armpit of Exxon, one of Texas' largest refineries is just a few miles away, at most. Our particular Exxon plant was also listed as one of the likely top 10 priority targets by terrorists.

I was just kinda shocked, I didn't actually freak out or anything, it was sorta like it was all a dream, it just seemed impossible.

I remember that being one of the top terrorist targets in Texas! That and the ammunition plant near Texarkana and Fort Hood!
 Leviathan.Novax
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-05-01 23:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

7th grade I was about 10 mins early to class was going to drop off stuff and go talk to friends. Walk in teacher crying then she explains.
 Lakshmi.Igneel
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zetsuei
By Lakshmi.Igneel 2011-05-01 23:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I had just finished my breakfast in the college cafe. when our teacher came in and said the trade towers were hit. We all said that's a sick joke until another teacher came in then we all went to our PC's to check the news.
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2011-05-01 23:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

God damn, everyone talking about how they were in 5th grade and ***makes me feel old..

Lends you a cane.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-01 23:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in highshool
 Phoenix.Princessrin
By Phoenix.Princessrin 2011-05-01 23:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in 5th grade :O
teacher talked to us, and we watched the news D:
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-01 23:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I called in sick I couldn't think about going to work I just stayed glued to the TV in shock after I got the call in the early morning.
 Ifrit.Tsuneo
Server: Ifrit
user: Tsuneo
By Ifrit.Tsuneo 2011-05-01 23:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in 5th grade, and also screw Channel One I hated having to watch that.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-05-01 23:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alexstaifter said:
Im from NYC, I was in my 8th grade History class, and we saw it through the windows.

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Was in 7th grade, teacher came in crying and told us about it and how they could see the smoke (lived in NY). A lot of names were called over the announcement thing for parents wanting their kids.

Man! That must have been terrifying for you two!

Don't feel too old. You're going to make me feel old. I was a Junior in high school! LOL!
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2011-05-01 23:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't went to school that day and was watching TV when I saw the report of a comercial flight hit one of the towers of the WTC. I saw when the other plane hit the second tower Live. I was like OMG!!
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-01 23:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Asura.Alexstaifter said:

Leviathan.Draylo said:

Man! That must have been terrifying for you two!

Don't feel too old. You're going to make me feel old. I was a Junior in high school! LOL!

A few of the hills in my town had clear views of the city, was pretty surreal coming home from school.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2011-05-01 23:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember the days of and after where Fort Bragg being on extreme terrorist level whatever..had armed guards at the entrances and they did car checked on every car entering. All military people over age of 10 are supposed to have a military ID to get on base but they dont generally check kids if they're with their parents, so I didnt always remember mine.

I ofcourse forgot my ID one of those days and was almost sent into tears as the guard gave me a huge lecture and then lectured my mom as how he wouldnt normally let me on base but would that day. I was like 14.

good times..
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
user: Rahziela
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2011-05-01 23:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Stationed at Naval Support Activity Naples, near Mt Vesuvius in Italy. Patiently waiting for my letter telling me I was accepted into the officer program. I received it months later, but on that day, got something much different.

Now I feel old... By then, I had already graduated and had been in my second year in the Navy.
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2011-05-01 23:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in fifth grade and got pulled out of class that day. Parents were worried about a potential attack on the Arsenal we've got nearby.

So many fellow youngin's!
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11