Are Christianity And Capitalism Really Compatible?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are Christianity and Capitalism Really Compatible?
Are Christianity and Capitalism Really Compatible?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-17 21:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Theology allows you do anything with the source material since internal consistency has been jettisoned for faith. Believe anything hard enough and you can make it your reality. Just ask the batshit insane jihadists running around the sands like its 900 AD.

Like Nessie. Except Nessie isn't dictating that people beat their wives, sell captives into sex slavery or murder homosexuals. *shrug*

You can make Jesus a 2000 year old space traveler who came to Earth to save us from our sins. And by sins I mean from ignorance. He failed but his teachings live on.

You can make Jesus a hippie who believes slaughtering animals for human consumption is morally reprehensible and smoking pot is the path to enlightenment from the shackles of our mortal confines.

You can also make Jesus out to be Gordon Gekko. Crush the poor, kick babies, do coke and bury hookers under the floorboards cause you're God's favored and these other people are just chaff.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-17 22:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You can also make Jesus out to be Gordon Gekko. Crush the poor, kick babies, do coke and bury hookers under the floorboards cause you're God's favored and these other people are just chaff.

I like to call him 1980's Jesus, creator of the mighty church of the Latter Day Hookers & Blow.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 22:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

My rebuttal: Put a fork in me... I'm done.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-17 22:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I skimmed through the first page wondering how I missed a 4 page thread popping out of nowhere with a ton of posts by people I haven't seen in a long time and then saw a Jaerik post and was sad when I realized it was a necro.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 22:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is older than Hitler's bones.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 22:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »

Are you being daft? You can literally make religion out to be ANYTHING you want it to be. Just like geeks at a Star Trek convention, everyone has their own opinions on what ***means. Even when the author of a work goes on record saying that X is canon people will stick to some Y or Z countertheory as the 'real' way ***went down.

If God showed up right now and declared Catholics to have gotten it right we'd still be fighting for eternity regarding if that was the legit God or just some alien lifeform pretending to be God. We'd probably then nuke eachother while God ragequits from the universe lobby server. Here Earth, have a meteor. I'm fed up with you idiots.

Jesus can be anything your imagination wants him to be and your interpretation of the Bible equally as selective. It's why the Protestant Reformation opened the floodgates for over 9000 sects and one Jesus can be prince of peace while the other has an AR-15 across his shoulder ready to shoot some illegal immigrants.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-17 23:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you being daft? You can literally make religion out to be ANYTHING you want it to be. Just like geeks at a Star Trek convention, everyone has their own opinions on what ***means. Even when the author of a work goes on record saying that X is canon people will stick to some Y or Z countertheory as the 'real' way ***went down.

If God showed up right now and declared Catholics to have gotten it right we'd still be fighting for eternity regarding if that was the legit God or just some alien lifeform pretending to be God. We'd probably then nuke eachother while God ragequits from the universe lobby server. Here Earth, have a meteor. I'm fed up with you idiots.

Jesus can be anything your imagination wants him to be and your interpretation of the Bible equally as selective. It's why the Protestant Reformation opened the floodgates for over 9000 sects and one Jesus can be prince of peace while the other has an AR-15 across his shoulder ready to shoot some illegal immigrants.
That is simply how you see it because you are a relativist; I am not. I believe in an absolute truth that can not be understood or quantified because it is defined by the function of the item in question. Whether my understanding sees what it is, is irrelevant, it changes no facts.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-17 23:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh jeez, I was reading through the first few pages and wondering why a P&R thread suddenly got hijacked by a bunch of new people. It all makes sense now.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 23:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Oh jeez, I was reading through the first few pages and wondering why a P&R thread suddenly got hijacked by a bunch of new people. It all makes sense now.
lol'd hard
By Altimaomega 2014-04-17 23:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny how oligarchy was mentioned on the first page. I just seen a article from somewhere today declaring the US to be an oligarchy.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-17 23:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
lol'd hard

Yeah, yeah. I realize the irony of it now.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 00:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Funny how oligarchy was mentioned on the first page. I just seen a article from somewhere today declaring the US to be an oligarchy.
saw that too very... strange is the best word I can come up with...
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-04-18 03:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When you read the following, it makes you question the necessity of religion in modern society-- in economics and in politics, and especially social issues.

A Missouri mayor agrees with the shooter who killed three at a Jewish synagogue saying this ten years ago:
Quote:
"I am a friend of Frazier Miller helping to spread his warnings," wrote Clevenger. "The Jew-run medical industry has succeeded in destroying the United State's workforce."

The letter continued.

"Made a few Jews rich by killin' us off."

He also spoke of the "Jew-run government backed banking industry turned the U.S into the world's largest debtor nation."
He is literally blaming the failures of our economy on Jewish people.

Recently, a Republican Representative and a woman surprisingly, stated this regarding equal pay between men and women:
Quote:
Another fact is the influence of hypergamy, which means that women typically choose a mate (husband or boyfriend) who earns more than she does. Men don’t have the same preference for a higher-earning mate.

While women prefer to HAVE a higher-earning partner, men generally prefer to BE the higher-earning partner in a relationship. This simple but profound difference between the sexes has powerful consequences for the so-called pay gap.

Suppose the pay gap between men and women were magically eliminated. If that happened, simple arithmetic suggests that half of women would be unable to find what they regard as a suitable mate.
Obviously, I’m not saying women won’t date or marry a lower-earning men, only that they probably prefer not to. If a higher-earning man is not available, many women are more likely not to marry at all.

[...]

The best way to improve economic prospects for women is to improve job prospects for the men in their lives, even if that means increasing the so-called pay gap.
She basically is saying that women should be paid less or they can't find husbands.

I have nothing against religion so long as you don't cross this line:
When you stop treating another person like a human being that is no different than yourself.

Cross that line where you stop looking at each other as human beings, then you lose any validity in your religion and beliefs. We are all human beings only different in mind, thoughts, personality. Our own decisions define what and who we are, and it is this trait that defines us as being human. Once you no longer look at each other as human and see them as less than who you are, then I have every reason to disagree with your religion as a whole especially when you misrepresent the core values and beliefs of your religion.

Religion has no place in government, politics, and social issues. Intermingling religious beliefs with such can bring upon ignorance, hatred, inequality, intolerance, and indifference. Human history has taught us that for thousands of years when religion is mixed with things it shouldn't be mixed with. Each person has their own personal morals and beliefs, but do not impose or force them upon another. Keep your religion and your religious beliefs to yourself. They are incompatible with modern society, and holding onto lingering old religious practices will only hold back progress and forward momentum of society as a whole.

After twelve years of private Catholic education-- 8 years elementary, 4 years high school, I wised up in Senior year of high school to not follow or practice any religion. It may have been a disappointment to a lot of my religion teachers especially those that pestered me to get baptized, but looking back I know I made the right decision. Taking World Religions class in Senior year also helped there alongside World History. You break down religion into its most empirical state and you will find that many religions are no different than each other. Each religion has their benefits and merits, but when one takes it too far in a fundamentalist or extremist state, or when one uses it as the reason society and our economy is failing, or the lack of religion as a reason to blame others for our misfortunes, or use it as the reason to harshly treat others unequally and violently, then that is when religion crosses the line and no longer becomes a religion to me.

I find a lot of hypocrisy in religion, so much ignorance and hatred among religious people. It is as if they are holding onto the old ways, the old life hoping they can control others. These kind of people misrepresent the religion they blindly follow, and try to force or impose their beliefs amongst others they think are in the wrong. I have seen that too much in those 12 years and the years after on the news and in various events going around the world. Human history has shown that happen way too often.

Any failings or incompatibilities between religion and society, government, and economics should be blamed solely on those in control and at the failures of their own decisions, misrepresentations, and lack of tolerance, acceptance, and understanding of others.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-18 06:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Classic.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 07:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Then I'm pretty sure that writer isn't clear on the definition of the word.

Or, at least, is taking a very, very broad interpretation of the definition.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-18 08:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

Then I'm pretty sure that writer isn't clear on the definition of the word.

Or, at least, is taking a very, very broad interpretation of the definition.
Not necessarily.
Link to study
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 08:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Then I'm pretty sure that writer isn't clear on the definition of the word. Or, at least, is taking a very, very broad interpretation of the definition.
Not necessarily. Link to study

Yeah, you know, I said that and then thinking about it more, I started sort of chastising myself. If you really broaden the consideration beyond traditional familial/small groups of extremely rich power, it's actually not that far off.

Going to admit I'm wrong on this one. Our country is definitely run by those with the money to be heard.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 09:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

According to my research.

[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 09:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Blue seems a little big...
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 09:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

A little big? The vast majority of people I come into contact with on a daily basis are practicing Christians. Even the ones I never would have expected.

If anything, in my experience*, blue and orange should be inverted, with the caveat that more red needs to be overlapping into the blue.

This chart appears appropriate of say, a college campus. But not society in general. Again, in my experience.

*in my experience is a key phrase here. Keep in mind I've grown up and lived in rural Pennsylvania essentially all my life.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Leysritt
Server: Ragnarok
user: Leysritt
By Ragnarok.Leysritt 2014-04-18 09:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

A little big? The vast majority of people I come into contact with on a daily basis are practicing Christians. Even the ones I never would have expected.

If anything, in my experience*, blue and orange should be inverted, with the caveat that more red needs to be overlapping into the blue.

This chart appears appropriate of say, a college campus. But not society in general. Again, in my experience.

*in my experience is a key phrase here. Keep in mind I've grown up and lived in rural Pennsylvania essentially all my life.

Over here where I live (Southern Ohio) a lot of the communities are Christians, along with Kentucky and West Virginia.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-18 09:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Step one: travel
step two: be more ashamed of the world then before
step three: watch other people profit
(oh the irony...)

Belief isn't just in speech but action and understanding. Therefore they don't actually believe anything, they are just repeating what society taught them. Thus all the brainwashed stupidity.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 10:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

See when you use a pie chart you can justify any research.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 10:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Step one: travel step two: be more ashamed of the world then before step three: watch other people profit (oh the irony...) Belief isn't just in speech but action and understanding. Therefore they don't actually believe anything, they are just repeating what society taught them. Thus all the brainwashed stupidity.

I said lived my whole life there. Not that I've never traveled anywhere else. That said, nowhere I've traveled has evidenced otherwise.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 10:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

See when you use a pie chart you can justify any research.

I just got whooshed. I missed the part where it said "Accord to [fonewear's] research".

Bravo, sir.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-18 10:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

My friends I would say are indifferent to religion. It isn't so much people are against religion. I would say a lot of it is they are lazy. And won't go to church every Sunday. Even if they believed laziness takes over.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-18 10:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

saw that too very... strange is the best word I can come up with...
Quote:
Oligarchy - is a form of power structure in which power effectively rests with a small number of people. These people could be distinguished by royalty, wealth, family ties, education, corporate, or military control. Such states are often controlled by a few prominent families who typically pass their influence from one generation to the next, but inheritance is not a necessary condition for the application of this term.

Throughout history, oligarchies have been tyrannical (relying on public obedience and/or oppression to exist) or relatively benign. Aristotle pioneered the use of the term as a synonym for rule by the rich, for which the exact term is plutocracy. However, oligarchy is not always a rule by wealth, as oligarchs can simply be a privileged group, and do not have to be connected by bloodlines as in a monarchy.
I would call the usage correct.

Just our oligarchs happen to be plutocrats.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-18 10:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

According to my dictionary...I need to find a better hobby than looking up definitions.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 11:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

According to my dictionary...I need to find a better hobby than looking up definitions.
definitions are only as good as the dictionary, often words and their meaning changes before it can be updated in publications.