Forum » FFXI » General » Connection timing out
Connection timing out
 Carbuncle.Nyamavu
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Nyamavu
By Carbuncle.Nyamavu 2011-04-18 13:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever since I got a new DSL modem from my ISP (the old one broke) I haven't been able to hold a connection while on FFXI. I play on PS2, btw. I'll log on okay and the connection will seem great for a few minutes, but then suddenly the S and R numbers in the upper right corner of the screen will start dropping real low, into the double digits. Then I'm kicked off with a "FFXI-4002" error, followed by a "POL-0512" error once I've confirmed that. This happens every single time.

I tried getting support by going to SE's support center site and filling out their e-mail support form. But all I got back was an e-mail saying that they could not help me with this issue over e-mail (no idea why) and that I have two options. Either try contacting them again through their toll free chat room on their support site which doesn't seem to exist. Or call them on some non-800 number that is not toll free.

I also tried posting in the tech support section of the official forums, but was pretty much ignored there. So helpful.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-18 13:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I would call the cable company and tell them you have been having random disconnect problems ever since they changed your modem.

Also, do you go through a router after you leave the modem?
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-18 13:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nyamavu said:
Ever since I got a new DSL modem from my ISP (the old one broke) I haven't been able to hold a connection while on FFXI. I play on PS2, btw. I'll log on okay and the connection will seem great for a few minutes, but then suddenly the S and R numbers in the upper right corner of the screen will start dropping real low, into the double digits. Then I'm kicked off with a "FFXI-4002" error, followed by a "POL-0512" error once I've confirmed that. This happens every single time.

I tried getting support by going to SE's support center site and filling out their e-mail support form. But all I got back was an e-mail saying that they could not help me with this issue over e-mail (no idea why) and that I have two options. Either try contacting them again through their toll free chat room on their support site which doesn't seem to exist. Or call them on some non-800 number that is not toll free.

I also tried posting in the tech support section of the official forums, but was pretty much ignored there. So helpful.

There is also a text based chat option (imish) somewhere, you could try that.

you could also try opening the proper ports:

The first and third posts have relevant information. I assume ffxionline is a safe website but its been a while since i've checked on that stuff since I no longer play ffxi

This is a guide to port forwarding for specific routers. Look up your router and it will tell you how to set up port forwarding on that model
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-18 13:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
I would call the cable company and tell them you have been having random disconnect problems ever since they changed your modem.

Also, do you go through a router after you leave the modem?

It is possible that your modem, modem/router is bad, and its just harder to notice while surfing. your isp should be able to check it for you.

And yeah, if you don't have a router plugged into your modem you should
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-04-18 13:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a problem your end, if the S is dropping too.

Try Port Forwarding as mentioned above.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-18 14:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Those modems they use are never new, they're refurbished, it could be that you got a bad one. I'd get them to exchange it for another one..

I mean I'm basing this off Comcast, what I have, I can't imagine it would be too much different for any other major ISP. The Comcast techs that come out here have even told me their self that the modems are just refurbished and cycled back through and it's not uncommon that when they replace one with another one that they get called back.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-18 14:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Those modems they use are never new, they're refurbished, it could be that you got a bad one. I'd get them to exchange it for another one..

I mean I'm basing this off Comcast, what I have, I can't imagine it would be too much different for any other major ISP. The Comcast techs that come out here have even told me their self that the modems are just refurbished and cycled back through and it's not uncommon that when they replace one with another one that they get called back.

This is so true. Comcast blows...
 Carbuncle.Nyamavu
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nyamavu
By Carbuncle.Nyamavu 2011-04-20 11:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on Verizon DSL and it's been pretty good to me for years now. When I first hooked up the new modem, it didn't work, didn't allow any of the PCs/devices on my network connect. I called support and found out it had to be set up first. So he walks me through it and in the process I had to wipe the settings on my wireless router by holding the reset button for 20+ seconds and redo my network. It's now set on WPA security, instead of WEP like it used to be. After that it was just about adjusting the network settings on our PCs, as well as my Wii. All of them connect and stay connected just fine now.

The first thing I went to do when I logged onto POL was to adjust the network settings. But the thing is there is no option for setting the security type or password for it. I tried connecting anyway and it worked, but then that's where this constant timing out issue started. I'm not sure why because when I first got the wireless router and created my original network, all I had to do was connect the PS2 to one of the extra ports in the back and that was pretty much it. Apparently I have to do something extra now, but I don't know what that is.