Whats Happening To My Country....Part 2

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Whats happening to my Country....Part 2
Whats happening to my Country....Part 2
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-22 14:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I think a lot of the societal problems of today in the U.S. stem from bad parenting for the most part. In generations past, if you *** up, you were punished for it. If my uncles back-talked my grandmother, my grandfather gave them a slap in the face. "But that's abuse!" people say...***; it taught my uncles that if the treat their mother like ***, they get 5 across the eye. Hence, they didn't treat my grandmother like ***.

We coddle our kids too much these days. Junior flunks a test, and it's "Let's talk about your feelings" or "But but, he has a LEARNING DISABILTY!!" or "IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!", not "Why weren't you studying?!" or "Did you even try?". I have friends that have worked in the teaching field, and nowadays every parent wants their kid to be a straight-A student, regardless if they did any damn thing to earn the grades. Personal responsibility has gone out the window, instead we teach kids how to point the finger and blame others for their shortcomings.

Your little princess is having trouble in school? I know, let's put her on Ritalin or Adderall, because obviously it couldn't be that she didn't even try, oh no no, it HAD to be because her brain isn't made to learn like everyone else's. And the teacher! It's the teacher's fault!! She's too hard on my little princess!! Oh, I know, it because this class doesn't stimulate her enough! Basically, it's ANY reason other than "Your kid *** around and failed."

Of course, those kids eventually grow up and expect the real world to be that way. I've had countless 18-20 year old people working under me that thought work was just a big version of school. "Oh, there's a concert tomorrow night? I'll just skip work!" and expect to be able to "make it up"...lolwut? I've had people come to me a week before thanksgiving, "Oh, by the way, I can't work from next Wednesday to Sunday, we're going out of town..." Uh, NO. Where were you 3 months ago when I told everyone to get their requests off in to me for the entire holiday season? One kid even brought a note from his mother "excusing him from work" so they could go on vacation...kid was freaking 20 YEARS OLD!! Needless to say, both kid and mom were none too happy with me when I explained to little Junior the way the world works, and that I had a business to run, and if he no shows not to bother coming back. TBH, Mom was more pissed off at me then the kid was lol

Anyways, teach your kids that the fairytale land where everyone is #1 is a myth. Ground them when they *** up. Make them clean up after themselves. Teach them how to be respectful. Teach them how to speak, think, and act like an adult. Teach them responsiblity and accountability. Make them get a job. Teach them how to balance their budget. Teach them how to treat each other.

wow lmao 20 years old getting a mommy excuse....

This is a very good post. I further agree to this as well. I still think theres the Rome factor too. We dont learn history so we dont learn from our mistakes. Keep the people busy with entertainment and lots of things can happen behind the scenes.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-03-22 14:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I think a lot of the societal problems of today in the U.S. stem from bad parenting for the most part. In generations past, if you *** up, you were punished for it. If my uncles back-talked my grandmother, my grandfather gave them a slap in the face. "But that's abuse!" people say...***; it taught my uncles that if the treat their mother like ***, they get 5 across the eye. Hence, they didn't treat my grandmother like ***.

We coddle our kids too much these days. Junior flunks a test, and it's "Let's talk about your feelings" or "But but, he has a LEARNING DISABILTY!!" or "IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!", not "Why weren't you studying?!" or "Did you even try?". I have friends that have worked in the teaching field, and nowadays every parent wants their kid to be a straight-A student, regardless if they did any damn thing to earn the grades. Personal responsibility has gone out the window, instead we teach kids how to point the finger and blame others for their shortcomings.

Your little princess is having trouble in school? I know, let's put her on Ritalin or Adderall, because obviously it couldn't be that she didn't even try, oh no no, it HAD to be because her brain isn't made to learn like everyone else's. And the teacher! It's the teacher's fault!! She's too hard on my little princess!! Oh, I know, it because this class doesn't stimulate her enough! Basically, it's ANY reason other than "Your kid *** around and failed."

Of course, those kids eventually grow up and expect the real world to be that way. I've had countless 18-20 year old people working under me that thought work was just a big version of school. "Oh, there's a concert tomorrow night? I'll just skip work!" and expect to be able to "make it up"...lolwut? I've had people come to me a week before thanksgiving, "Oh, by the way, I can't work from next Wednesday to Sunday, we're going out of town..." Uh, NO. Where were you 3 months ago when I told everyone to get their requests off in to me for the entire holiday season? One kid even brought a note from his mother "excusing him from work" so they could go on vacation...kid was freaking 20 YEARS OLD!! Needless to say, both kid and mom were none too happy with me when I explained to little Junior the way the world works, and that I had a business to run, and if he no shows not to bother coming back. TBH, Mom was more pissed off at me then the kid was lol

Anyways, teach your kids that the fairytale land where everyone is #1 is a myth. Ground them when they *** up. Make them clean up after themselves. Teach them how to be respectful. Teach them how to speak, think, and act like an adult. Teach them responsiblity and accountability. Make them get a job. Teach them how to balance their budget. Teach them how to treat each other.

^ ^ This, this, this, and this. Both of my parents are teachers, and you would not believe the crap that parents expect. Also with the discipline/abuse thing: my folks are divorced, and at one parent's house, when I deserved it I got my butt spanked. At the other parent's house, when I deserved to get my butt spanked, I instead got guilt-tripped. At the spanker parent's house, I learned to be responsible for myself and my actions to keep my butt from getting spanked. At the guilt-tripper parent's house, I learned that I could do whatever I wanted as long as I could sufficiently ignore the guilt-trip and/or mentally fast-forward through all the parts of the lecture that I already knew by heart.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-22 14:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
As for the 50's being the ideal society, I think this is mostly a myth. If you really look back at some of the examples of an "ideal" family back then, it's actually pretty friggin' terrifying and nothing at all like the balanced, wholesome TV environment of the Cleaver family.

QFT. I mean, look at the stereotypes of the day. Dad went off to work, Mom stayed home and took care of the little ones, Dad returns home after a day at the office, takes off the suit jacket and puts on a button up sweater, enjoying a few glasses of scotch and a pipe while reading the daily paper, and occasionally meting out profound moral advice to his "Golly Jee Wiz" children, while Mom happily toils in the kitchen getting dinner ready with a smile on her face. Mom and Dad didn't even share the same bed for God's sake!

What about the flip side of that? Dad's an absentee father, interacting with his children for all of about 30 minutes a day, not to mention in a lot of cases, a full blown alcoholic. Mom's on Antidepressants because the spirit crushing monotony and thanklessness of living in "her role as a wife and mother" is driving her mind to pretty dark places. Seriously, antidepressant use EXPLODED in the 50's. It was the end all solution to women that wanted more out of their lives, but were forced to live up to the idealogical standards of the day. Like Jaerik said, the 50's wasn't all sunshine and roses...people just didn't talk about it. It was easier to just mold young women into some real life version of "The Stepford Wives" and feed them drugs to keep them smilin'...

You know what I see as one of the most accurate representations of a real family on television ever? Roseanne. I identify a lot with that show because in a lot of ways my childhood was just like that. Life was goddamn hard, almost impossible at times, and threw ***at them from all angles...but despite all that, they kept it together. Through love and caring, and a healthy dose of humor, they made it through...
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-03-22 15:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, I started being a stupid teenager about the same time my parents stopped having family dinners.
 Carbuncle.Rxdriver
Server: Carbuncle
user: RXdriv3r
By Carbuncle.Rxdriver 2009-03-22 16:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ster you've always been stupid lol.

But seriously I agree with Xxnumbertwoxx. Me myself am puerto rican, was born here and moved to FL, and now back to PR. Anyways most puerto rican families, or atleast mine, teach their kids all of that. ***I remember if I did something wrong I'd get slapped, or beat on with somethin, that way I learnt to respect my elders. Been through good and bad times with them, and I'm glad they never spoiled me and gave me whatever I wanted, it taught me that I had to work for what I wanted and earn it myself because the real world wouldn't hand anything in my hands for free. This generation of younger people I see, I see alot of parents spoiling their kids, ect. Lettin them get away with acting up. I remember a few weeks ago I was at the mall and some lady had a child 4-7 and the kid was kicking and screaming because he wanted something, all his mom told him was "Calm down, blah blah" I remember if I did anything like that my mom would just *** slap me across the face and told me to shut up lol.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-22 16:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Rant about kids aside, you know archeologists have found clay cuneiform tablets from thousands of years BCE, which are essentially nothing but the same thing we're having here: "Kids these days..."

They're actually some of the most common philosophical ramblings found in archeology excavations, no matter the time period. Every generation throughout history is absolutely convinced the younger generations are lacking in some kind of fundamental mindset or understanding to be successful in life.

As much as I think "kids these days" have some serious problems, the fact none of these pronouncements of generational doom have ever come true gives me a bit of hope.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-22 16:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I was hoping somebody would pick up on the fault of Television, and how it portrayed our society incorrectly, since Jaerik got to that point very closly, but never at it.

I'm talking about the social norms of the 50s compared to today. I was using family values as an example, not as the basis of my arguement. Honestly, I think it was a combination of all things I pointed out on my first post that started this all.

I was hoping that somebody would point out something that I might have missed, but Xxnumbertwoxx pretty much hit it on the head.

Damn I fail at causing drama. I was hoping to get some debate going on here....
 Bahamut.Morticia
Server: Bahamut
user: Azraiel
By Bahamut.Morticia 2009-03-22 16:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Please.. the 50's were just as jacked up as today.. difference was people didn't talk about what was really going on.. they just pretended everything was ok.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-22 17:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
Rant about kids aside, you know archeologists have found clay cuneiform tablets from thousands of years BCE, which are essentially nothing but the same thing we're having here: "Kids these days..."

They're actually some of the most common philosophical ramblings found in archeology excavations, no matter the time period. Every generation throughout history is absolutely convinced the younger generations are lacking in some kind of fundamental mindset or understanding to be successful in life.

As much as I think "kids these days" have some serious problems, the fact none of these pronouncements of generational doom have ever come true gives me a bit of hope.

I actually remember reading about a cuneiform tablet written by a kid bitching about his teacher. I don't remember the specifics (it's been years) but loosely translated it was something like "I'm so tired of my teacher beating me for not bringing in my homework or being late to school" etc. It was meant to illustrate how life 6,000 years ago was pretty similar to today, yadda yadda yadda...

Teachers beating kids for not bringing in their homework and not being there on time...interesting idea. I'd bet most kids got their damn homework done and showed up to school in those days lol

Seriously though, I hate saying "kids these days" because it's just so damned cliched and curmudgeonly, but I really do fear for the future somewhat. A lot of kids are taught to shoot for the stars and take what they want from life, the ultimate fallout of the attitudes of the "Me" generation; but with the way the economy is falling apart people can't just "do what they wanna do" anymore. Teaching kids that, with effort and dedication, they can do whatever they set their mind to is all well and good, but more and more often that guidance isn't being tempered with the converse of that mentality...when the chips are down, you do what you have to do. In my experiences managing younger people, I've dealt with this a lot, too; this "sense of entitlement" that Mommy and Daddy instilled in them since a young age. The expectation that life owes them something.

That's not to say that I haven't worked with some great, hard working young people, because I have...but they're rapidly becoming the exception, rather than the rule.

Bah, maybe I am just turning into a bitter old man. Who wants to hear about how I walked uphill in 3 feet of snow to school everyday? ^^
 Asura.Redaske
user: Redaske
By Asura.Redaske 2009-03-22 17:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Again here I go with a religious saying even though I hate religion(I tell ya growing up and learning to be a preacher is a shitty deal when you realize just how corrupt religion really is. At least I still pull great morals from it though.)

This goes along with what Jaerik was saying: "There is Nothing new under the sun." And essentially there isn't. The way people acted back in the day was no different then it is now. The only single big difference is that now we have no rights to discipline our children because OMG they might grab a gun and kill some people because they got mad. Hate to break it to people but if a kid goes and shoots up a school and a bunch of people got hurt or die, It's all natural selection. May seem cold but it all comes down to the fact that you can't control another persons actions. You CAN however guide them and teach them and hope and pray(If you do such a thing) that what you taught works.

I'm thankful for the name my mother and father gave me. I looked up what my name means and it's quite simple and has good meaning: "A powerful ruler of the gentle hand of victory."

Being firm with your children is important. Lay down the laws and discipline when they are broken. It is NO different then following the laws of your country. These are just the laws of YOUR house. Here's a great breakdown of law structure:

Nation(Federal)
State
County
City
Home

A five tiered law structure one for each finger of your hand.

Meh I'm probably a fool for believing in this but oh well.

LX

PS Yes I know it's painful to lose someone in an event like a school shooting. Terrifying still to be a witness in one. But all events in our lives are nothing more then Experience for later on. We have to be strong for eachother... doing that will keep each of us from faltering.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2009-03-22 23:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lot of good points in this thread. I'd like to touch on the most dangerous comment/statement in this thread, which was the one about the women leaving the kitchen.

Now first off, I think women are very talented and equal workers to men. However, with the recent changes in society allowing women to pursue their dreams and wants, it has posed a very difficult problem for society as a whole. Since these days both parents have a career this has effected prices to an extent that families have no choice but to have both parental units working. As a result parents have become less and less involved in their kid(s) lives. If parents aren't around what are we left with to guide our children? I'd say you have three major categories, teachers, peers, and television. Television is definitely anything but a good teacher these days. Beyond the violence and sex on tv, it gives children a very unreal idea about the world and how it works. Peers...hell even in adulthood your peers aren't always full of good advice, need I say more? Lastly teachers. Sure theres still good ones out there, but there are also quite a bit of bad ones, and some of the good ones may be held back from their full potential for fear of angering mommny and daddy.

So until we find a system where mom and/or dad can be more involved in their offspring(s) life, we will see continuing problems. I believe this will keep spiraling downwards. How can you be a good parent if you didn't have good ones in the first place. (Or at least how much harder is it to achieve good parenthood) Think of it as making a xerox of a xerox of making a xerox, etc.

I just hope when I have children that I can be involved. I just hope that the activities I enjoy and think teach some important life lessons don't go away because they cause global warming, kill spotted owls, or make someone uncomfortable. (Such as fishing, hunting, paintball,aquarium keeping, old cars that don't run on electric or hippie farts.)
 Ragnarok.Psyence
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-23 01:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever we teach kids, they'll still eventually become older. Depending on their mental capabilities, they'll figure the rest easily enough. Sure, if no one helped them as kids, they'll *** about not having been supported enough through the rough times. And if they grew up in a repressive climate, they'll complain about not having been given enough choices. Yes, it's tough being a good parent. The simple act of trying (to be a decent one) should be rewarded with sympathy and praises.

As a teacher or parent, you can try to help younger people to grow up, but you can't force them to become what you wish them to be (usually what you couldn't be). Most older parents don't seem to understand that simple fact. Family values are not dying. Values don't die. We just make them up in our head, imposing them however we see fit. They're a pathetic excuse to make ourselves confident about the choices we made and think others should do too.

Sure, most children need at least some kind of model (else they wouldn't know how to talk, read, etc.) but rather than complaining that teenagers these days have no good models to follow, how about trying to be one yourself? After trying for a few days, you'll realize that it's easier said than done, but hey... at least, you won't be another one of those complainers.

About the term "traditional values" : it never meant a thing, people will value whatever is valuable to them and you can't force them to have the same value as you, unless you use manipulation as a tool (religion being the most efficient mean invented yet, not even equaled by government-funded television).

The term "traditional values" is just a nice expression used mainly by politicians, because they need to win the majority. Since the majority has a religious background (that was forced into their mind since they were born) and think "God" is the answer to everything, well guess what, they'll actualy vote for the guy saying "traditional values" are his top priority... >.>

About women staying in a kitchen and preconceived ideas about task repartition. Men and women may have different brains; they can easily emulate each other, just like different computer processors can emulate each others. They'll use different means but come up to the same result. This is why if a woman feels like spending her life in a kitchen, enjoys kids and wants to have a husband and feel secure, cut the sexist *** and let her be. If she feels like escalating Himalaya, travel around the world and change boy/girlfriend every month, mind your own business and let her be too. They'll only live once, and as long as they don't make anyone's life miserable, they have every right to do so. They don't have to follow your stupid selfish "values".
 Midgardsormr.Soulstar
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Soulstar 2009-03-23 06:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

*** the 50's! :P weren't they saying that Elvis was being to sexual in his dance moves and starting a sexual revolution or something at the time? I don't see anything good in the past, just less technology and more limits to education and reaching dreams.

so no i don't cry about yesterday :)
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-23 08:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The only difference from today and 50 years ago is the ease and speed in which information can be shared. The mental state of humans has neither improved nor declined. The only reason that "today" seems so much worse is because this is the block of time in which we exist. When considering the present people tend to focus on the negative and when remembering the past people tend to focus on more positive things. In 50 years people will wonder why society sucks so bad and oh how far they have fallen from the turn of the century when everything was so great.
 Ifrit.Durai
Server: Ifrit
user: olan
By Ifrit.Durai 2009-03-23 09:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
but it is safe to say that it was much better social-wise then as it is today.

I disagree. I believe previous generations (50's and 60's) put off the illusion of a better society with heavy social control, but really it was terrible.

Rights, for blacks and women, were a joke.

I'd rather live today where we at least pursue the true instead of dancing around it as if it were taboo for some sort of gain.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-23 10:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems were not the only ones talking about this right now, found an article on the front page of CNN.com...

Parents, your kids aren't that special

An editorial piece, but I can agree with some of the things he says.

Interesting quote:

Jack Cafferty said:
...we have a whole generation of Baby Boomers who are too busy feeling entitled to prolong their own self-indulgent, self-absorbed adolescences to rein in their own kids.
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-03-23 13:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Rxdriver said:

Anyways most puerto rican families, or atleast mine, teach their kids all of that. ***I remember if I did something wrong I'd get slapped, or beat on with somethin, that way I learnt to respect my elders. Been through good and bad times with them, and I'm glad they never spoiled me and gave me whatever I wanted, it taught me that I had to work for what I wanted and earn it myself because the real world wouldn't hand anything in my hands for free.

Same here. Hell! I couldnt even cross eye my parents! That would be a sure slap on the face. Agree totally with Xxnumbertwoxx. I mostly blame the pussification (so to speak) of this new generation. Last thing I heard was that teachers will not longer use red pen to mark wrong answers on test sheets, because it "Hurts the kid feelings". So now we are going to ignore when kids do things wrong? Stop this stupid philosophy of no losers! You lose, you fail, deal with it! What doesnt kill you makes you stronger. Also Goverment wont even let parents to discipline their kids. They can hit 'em because social services would be on the spot there. I know some parents may go a bit over the edge. But that is not an excuse. "Experts" on the matter recommend to talk to your kids and understand them. I can tell you what YOU need to understand "loving parent", your kid will grow a pussy, co-dependant of you, and will not aim high in life. Teach them, Love them and Discipline them.

What is happening to my country? Besides Greed, Ignorance, Co-dependency, Apathy, the pussification of our kids, and the ever growing complication of absolutely everything? Ignoring all that as some people want us to do, absolutely nothing.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-23 13:24:20
 Delete | Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed. Problem with kids is because they're not fully grown in both bodily and mental department, talking to them and explaining things to them only goes in halfway. Sometimes the physical department needs reinforcement; and that might mean an *** kicking or two to help it sink in if they continue to be disobedient and disrespectful.

All things learned have a mental and physical balance, if only one is going through with the other half ignored, it'll only be 50% effective so to speak. There's a difference between child abuse and discipline which so many people don't seem to understand.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-23 13:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Amael said:
Also Goverment wont even let parents to discipline their kids. They can hit 'em because social services would be on the spot there. I know some parents may go a bit over the edge. But that is not an excuse.

Story that relates to that: My Dad and Step-Mom went to Denny's once with my youngest brother, he was 4 or 5 at the time. Anyways, he wanted some candy from one of the machines in the lobby, my dad and step-mom say not until after breakfast. Youngest brother throws a huge fit, starts knocking ***over, pulling menus off the counter and throwing them, all that; they tried talking to him and telling him to stop but it was of no use, so my dad takes him out to the car and gives him a couple swats on the backside. He calms right down, and my dad and youngest brother go back inside.

Apparently, some woman witnessed this and started giving my dad a whole ration of ***. Talks about how she's calling Child Protective Services because my father's "obviously abusive" and "should never lay a hand on a child". Say's she's got half a mind to call 911 and all that ***. My Dad and Step-mother, of course, tell this women, in so many words, that she can mind her own damn business. In response to that, she goes to the manager of the Denny's and tells them to call the cops...

Luckily a waitress and a few other people had also witnessed the whole ordeal, and came to my parents defense. The waitress is like "Ma'am, it was just a spanking, I think you need to drop it...", which the manager concurred with, which of course leads to the woman storming out in a big huff screaming obscenities. Luckily, that was the end of it, and the rest of the breakfast went by without incident, but it just as easily could have ended up with my father arrested...all because of a freaking spanking.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-23 14:01:05
 Delete | Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Apparently, some woman witnessed this and started giving my dad a whole ration of ***. Talks about how she's calling Child Protective Services because my father's "obviously abusive" and "should never lay a hand on a child". Say's she's got half a mind to call 911 and all that ***. My Dad and Step-mother, of course, tell this women, in so many words, that she can mind her own damn business. In response to that, she goes to the manager of the Denny's and tells them to call the cops...

Luckily a waitress and a few other people had also witnessed the whole ordeal, and came to my parents defense. The waitress is like "Ma'am, it was just a spanking, I think you need to drop it...", which the manager concurred with, which of course leads to the woman storming out in a big huff screaming obscenities. Luckily, that was the end of it, and the rest of the breakfast went by without incident, but it just as easily could have ended up with my father arrested...all because of a freaking spanking.

If anything this is more evidence supporting physical discipline. Would you want your child to end up like that woman?

I think that woman got lectured throughout her life and turned into one big butthurt, politically correct pussy that doesn't know how the real world works. I'm sorry but reality is not one giant Dr.Phil session where you talk everything over. If you're out of line you get your *** put back in shape one way or another.
 Bahamut.Pjohn
Server: Bahamut
user: Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-03-23 14:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't read the whole 2 pages but i believe society is better or about the same today than back then. I think the only differance now is how fast the information moves and the rights people have now. Non-white people and women are equal now kids are allowed to speak. So unspoken crimes against non-whites, women, and childen were not accounted for because if the culture back then. In todays world all are more equal and more is made public so it seems worse. I believe it is about the same as it was in the 50s its just more is made public now then what was allowed or believed to be true then.
 Shiva.Phioness
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-03-24 00:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well on looking at how family values have change from 50's til now their are some big changes.

First and foremost is the invention of the TV. People watch an Average of 151 hrs per month today. Thats time that used to be dedicated to spending time at the kitchen table talking with family over the days events. TV also cuts into: Time spent outside having fun with friends, school, social events, reading, etc. If our nation was one of the 7 deadly sins it would be Sloth hands down.

Also people now work more for less and work longer hours. That cuts into time spent making sure your kids are doing well in school and talking to them about drugs, the opposite sex, and making sure they are following a prosperous path throughout childhood with a strong set of good values and principles. The divorce rate is high, and single parents don't often fair well in todays economy. Parents don't have the time to make sure they teach these kids values because they are to busy working to make ends meet, and worrying about how to make that next mortgage payment. These days if you have 1 big medical bill that hits your family, bankrupty is around the corner and your family is crippled. America is not the stable family environment it used to be.

Obese 36%, Overweight 30%, Morbidly Obese 6%, Type 2 Diabetes rates 17%, cut gym classes from schools, garbage food sold in cafeterias and vending machines. These things have had a crippling effect on our economy that increase medical expenses and have actually reduced the expected age of the generations instead of climbing as they where in the 50's.

We also consume more damn drugs than any damn country in the world. Jimmy the kid doesn't want to study and play baseball with his friends and eat at home at night with the family. He wants to go to his buddies house, smoke some dope, watch South Park while eating Cupcakes and drinking a Pepsi. Big difference between the old and new kids. TV, the big drug boom, increased corporate greed and deregulation (read about recent SEC dude Cox on march 9th issue of Time), garbage food, and less time to spend with family have had a crippling effect on the country I love. Sad, but true. The Greatest Generation is fading and they are shaking their heads.

Ninja edit. Damnit Korpg mentioned TV above I thought I was the 1st.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2009-03-24 07:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phioness said:
deregulationt

I think the complete opposite. If government got rid of some regulations business would flourish here. I've learned to hate this word, since its been connected with the housing situation. (The loan spree began as a result of REGULATION...forcing banks to make loans. Everyone apparently had a right to a house.)

Anyways yeah, dad's belt was always what changed my actions or decisions. I don't know how my parents did it, but I turned out ok. My only complaint about the growing up process is less sex ed and more finance ed. Dad's been extremely helpful in keeping me from financial disaster. Finance is so much more than figuring out how to pay rent, as someone said above.
 Ifrit.Durai
By Ifrit.Durai 2009-03-24 08:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no clue why parents think they can reason with children. The ability to reason has to grow just like the body does. When I was a child, I had no problem ignoring a 10 minute lecture, but when my Mom brought out the belt... my attention was all her's.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-24 08:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Rxdriver said:
Ster you've always been stupid lol.

But seriously I agree with Xxnumbertwoxx. Me myself am puerto rican, was born here and moved to FL, and now back to PR. Anyways most puerto rican families, or atleast mine, teach their kids all of that. ***I remember if I did something wrong I'd get slapped, or beat on with somethin, that way I learnt to respect my elders. Been through good and bad times with them, and I'm glad they never spoiled me and gave me whatever I wanted, it taught me that I had to work for what I wanted and earn it myself because the real world wouldn't hand anything in my hands for free. This generation of younger people I see, I see alot of parents spoiling their kids, ect. Lettin them get away with acting up. I remember a few weeks ago I was at the mall and some lady had a child 4-7 and the kid was kicking and screaming because he wanted something, all his mom told him was "Calm down, blah blah" I remember if I did anything like that my mom would just *** slap me across the face and told me to shut up lol.

I'm puerto rican too and lemme tell you, my family doesnt play lol. My aunt would take her sandal from across the room and beam you right in the forehead, then go after you with the 2nd sandal. That's what you get for just talking back lol. My uncle got a beating when he used the phone to call a 1800 sex number lol. The belt was always there >.> My family are crazy funny but we learned to respect as we grew up, well most of us did. That's why I'm the good one :) I'm 27 years old and we grew up like any other kids with bikes, tv, cartoons, nursery ryhmes, etc. I have a child of my own and I do not hit with objects but I do give a spanking if they deserve it. Otherwise I give time out and my kid hates time out. My kid doesnt talk back to me since i tapped that mouth. You can call me names or say im abusive but when your kid grows up and tells you "*** No!" and does what they want, then you will understand why some parents are strict when kids are little.

My dentist and I were talking about kids, her kid is 1 years old but she says he gets on her nerves. I ask why, she says cause he touches the power sockets and likes to get in the trash. I asked her well have you tried stopping him, she only said well I try but he won't listen. And me I told her that my kid tried that and all i did was smack the hand and say no, its hot. It will make you cry and hurt. But she blames her grandparents for how her son is.

Anyways, kids nowadays are growing fast. I see some little girls that should be dressed to play outside and have fun but instead are wearing mini skirts, heels, and looking like older women. Kids are not the same how when I definitely grew up.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-24 09:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
Anyways, kids nowadays are growing fast. I see some little girls that should be dressed to play outside and have fun but instead are wearing mini skirts, heels, and looking like older women. Kids are not the same how when I definitely grew up.

It's something in the milk! It's just not natural to see 11 year olds with double D's.
 Ifrit.Durai
By Ifrit.Durai 2009-03-24 09:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Its all [insert technology]'s fault.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-24 09:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Alyria said:

It's something in the milk! It's just not natural to see 11 year olds with double D's.

It's probably true, I remember going outside playing in shorts, t-shirt, sneakers, riding bikes, playing sports, camping, going in the woods and hunt fro frogs and snakes, and just normal fun outside.

My daughter is curious of where do babies come from, why do women have boobs, why is there hair, etc. all the curious kid questions. I try to be accurate and understanding for her but I remind her that she will understand when she becomes older and just have fun being a kid.

I saw this lil girl the other day in Walmart wearing heels, some kinda fur coat, hair was messy but had that look that even if it was messy, it was still cute (hope that makes sense), and wearing a skirt. Her dad was there but the girl was probably 9 years old. She looked like a older woman. Sometimes I think all the "I will never treat my kid the way I grew up" went to some heads the wrong way.

I dunno but if a 11 yr old girl has boobs already, they can be reduced. Its the hormones in them that are producing earlier than before and I believe you are right about the milk.lol
 Gilgamesh.Gonzoox
user: Gonzoox
By Gilgamesh.Gonzoox 2009-03-24 17:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't compare the 50' with today... there are a lot of things that are different.

You have internet these days, internet made a huge change around the world in all the aspects of society, in the 50's you had the chance to live with the salary of Dad, now the economy demands both parents to work to make a decent living. TV became the new parents for kids since the 80's perhaps, kids are educated by TV and their lame shows (Oprah, Dr Phil, etc). Women rights also are a change, in the 50's a woman had no option but to live with a person the he didn't love, now she can get divorced, parents have way less time for their kids. In the 50's there were around 150 million americans, today you have over 250 million, that's 100 million more people you have to compete to get a decent job or to keep your job, companies in the 50's had only "local" competitors, today they've "global" competitors, this demands more time of each employee, etc etc

the 50's had their own problems, that can't compare to 2009... if you ask me, if I had the option to live in 1950 or 2009... I'd stay in 2009, even with all the problems we have right now
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-24 17:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres over 300 million Americans today.