Eak! Here Is Goes...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Eak! Here is goes...
Eak! Here is goes...
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-04-01 22:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

My grandfather on my mom's side was born around the beginning of occupation in the Philippines, so he didn't really fight physically as much as he just had to grow up in very poor conditions. I was told that hating the Japanese occupants and doing whatever it took to survive and living like a squatter was pretty much it, even for those who were nowhere near physical combat. He was lucky enough to not have been raised in an occupied province, otherwise he would've been 100% dead.

If it says anything, the 250k+ Filipino vets who fought alongside Americans never really got proper benefits until the last few years, where they were pretty much all dead by this point. Most accounts attribute their will and valor to fight back solely from pure indignation; a war brought to them for no apparent reason.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-04-01 23:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of avatars, I got a mention in Josiahfk's avvy :o How the *** did you get that avvy under the size limit?
By zahrah 2011-04-01 23:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
Letting her keep it is a good idea, I think I'll do that. That was sweet of you to suggest. :-) She still has family in Germany. Her uncle was Alex Deutsch, there was a documentary video made about him and such. You might be able to find it, but I don't recall the name. :-( He died recently.

Edit: Ugh, scratch that. You'll never be able to find the right Alex, there's some photographer and apparently some musical artist with the same name.

That's disappointing. I already started a search. LOL!

Sylph.Oddin said:
Most of my mom's side of the family is in the military. My grandfather was in the Navy and he participated in the Normandy invasion. He tells us stories all the time about him and his old buddies, some of which would make most people cringe.

Cringe worthy as in raunchy like Liela's grandfather and mine? The light-hearted ones? LOL! That's pretty awesome that your grandfather was a part of the Normandy invasion!
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2011-04-01 23:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cringe worthy as in people exploding and basically falling apart as they stormed the beaches.
By zahrah 2011-04-01 23:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
If it says anything, the 250k+ Filipino vets who fought alongside Americans never really got proper benefits until the last few years, where they were pretty much all dead by this point.

That's enlightening. Never new that. This is exactly what I was talking about when I said that we Americans get a glossed over account of our part in World War II in our schools.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-01 23:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly I have nothing to contribute..... ; ;
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-04-01 23:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I think most of it was thanks to an act (Second Rescission Act?) passed in 1946. Actual Americans in the Philippines were greeted with open arms from what I've read.

Still, it kinda sucks how there's so many people who've fought and are forgotten in time, it's a real bummer. I can't imagine how it was not just for the Filipino freedom fighters, but for any country pulled into the war.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Ciecle
Server: Cerberus
user: Ciecle
By Cerberus.Ciecle 2011-04-02 00:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the idea for this thread, but sadly I have nothing to contribute, My grandfather(On my mother's Side) was in the navy, but i don't think he was around for WW2, and my great grandfather will not share any stories of his youth(I put him around the age of 10 when the war was happening though). My grandfather(on my dad's side) was in the army, but when WW2 happened he was about 1ish, i never got to meet any of my great grandparents on my dads side, They died when he was young. :<
 Bismarck.Angeleus
Server: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-04-02 01:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

My grandfather was Pablo Escobar until the Americans kill him. Very important man.
By zahrah 2011-04-02 14:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Angeleus said:
My grandfather was Pablo Escobar until the Americans kill him. Very important man.

You sure your uncle wasn't Tony Montana?
 Asura.Domz
Server: Asura
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2011-04-02 15:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

only got 1 story from my grandfather, back in ww2 he was driving his car past a checkpoint when they started to open fire on the engine block to stop his car, he dove out and all the rations he got became drenched in gasoline. the germans only wanted his ration of chocolate, which was now gasoline covered, they still bit into it though accordin to my grandpa.