Forum » FFXI » General » Throwing Weaponskills
Throwing Weaponskills
 Leviathan.Buer
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Buer
By Leviathan.Buer 2011-03-31 16:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Should there be some? I for one think that it would make leveling it more worthwhile. Plus there are some interesting ideas they could work with if they decided to implement them.
By Artemicion 2011-03-31 16:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be nice to put ninja's skill to good use aside from landing satchets on Gods.... wait, you mean you guys don't do that?
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2011-03-31 16:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's because there's really not much motion you can add into a throwing WS model.... since all you do is toss something.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-03-31 16:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
I think it's because there's really not much motion you can add into a throwing WS model.... since all you do is toss something.
really not much motion when u pull out a gun to shoot and it does some flashy lights
[+]
 Caitsith.Lyall
Server: Caitsith
user: Lyall
By Caitsith.Lyall 2011-03-31 16:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is obvious, though. If they end up being awesome, that'll become the only WS used and people will complain, because people complain about everything.

Conversely, if they suck, people will *** that they suck and never use them.
[+]
 Asura.Sandolphon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-03-31 16:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

My guess, thinking about it now, would be that there are no throwing weapon skills because of the vast variety of weapons that can go into that slot.

For instance, take Swords, all swords in the game look pretty much the same, Vorpal Blade with a Joyeuse is Vorpal Blade with a Xiphos.

But let's say they made throwing weapon skills, like "Throwku", "Throwhan", and "Throwcolo". Well I'd imagine "Throwku" would be weird with a pebble if it was original meant to be done with a Rogetsurin, or with a Bibiki Seashell, or Morion Tathlum, or Charis Feather, or whatever you get the point.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-31 16:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

But then rng would be too awesome. Tp in something cheap and easy then switch to a 250 dmg throwing weapon for ws... unlimited shot ftw. Seriously if you could slugshot a god wind it would easily do 5k
[+]
 Valefor.Forgotten
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-04-02 19:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't find anything to quote but I recall reading somewhere that a ws can't tell apart the different types of throwing items (returning ones like boomerangs and chakram vs thrown/used ones like shuriken darts and pebbles) and that the throw once and gone type would be an additional problem on top of that. PS2 Engine limitations.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-04-02 20:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't you also lose tp when you change that slot?

Edit: Actually that's probably half the problem, chakrams and boomerangs are in the ranged slot, while tathlums and darts are in the ammo slot. (I think?)
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-02 20:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Don't you also lose tp when you change that slot?
Depends on which slot you were thinking of. Ammo which is what the expendable throwing usually is in no. Ranged slot which is most re-throwable stuff yes. Though taking off the ranged slot wont make you lose.
 Lakshmi.Tronsy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Tronsy
By Lakshmi.Tronsy 2011-04-02 20:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

lose tp when you change ranged slot. but can change ammo till you are blue in the face.
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2011-04-02 20:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a cool idea but honestly at this point i dont think se has any intention of doing anything new or orginal. This should of been done when NIN was realeased, i dont think se has even released any real thorwing ammo since fuma shurikens.
 Cerberus.Eliane
Server: Cerberus
user: Eliane
By Cerberus.Eliane 2011-04-02 20:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Gil Toss
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-02 20:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i was originally thinking about this mostly for dancer because they got a chakram as their af1 weapon and on some other games i have played the dancer has had some disk they'd attack with. i wouldnt say it would be for a powerful ws, perhaps a ws that can open a dark/light chain or has a status affect such as terror.

@Op if you like (if you dont feel like it) i could make a suggestion for them on the official forums so atleast our voice on the subject is heard.
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-02 20:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

since so few jobs use throwing, and most of them are B or C skill, wouldnt be a game breaker.. as it would really be limited to DNC and NIN for use. atleast higher level WS's.. though i would like to see PUP throw the Animator at some mob in a weaponskill.. or be able to use it like a Chakram.

would bring something new to the game.. something kinda fun to boot
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-02 20:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said:
since so few jobs use throwing, and most of them are B or C skill, wouldnt be a game breaker.. as it would really be limited to DNC and NIN for use. atleast higher level WS's.. though i would like to see PUP throw the Animator at some mob in a weaponskill.. or be able to use it like a Chakram.

the downside to that would be you cant actually throw certain things like that and tathlums for example, so i really dont forsee them using something as a weapon for a ws that they weren't able to use as a weapon to begin with.
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-02 21:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

another thought in this.... with the use of throwing weapons, and throwing weapon WS's.. would be cool if they added something to cors, since they are pirates, maybe add like a grenade or something to their arsenal, that would give status effects, would be limited to weaponskill, maybe the something similar could be done for at least most of the jobs
By DuzellLevi 2011-04-02 21:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love to see throwing WS, I would also like enspells to work on ranged weapons, not gonna happen though.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-02 21:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said:
since so few jobs use throwing, and most of them are B or C skill, wouldnt be a game breaker.. as it would really be limited to DNC and NIN for use. atleast higher level WS's..
*** you give it to rng too!
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-02 21:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Phoenix.Degs said:

the downside to that would be you cant actually throw certain things like that and tathlums for example, so i really dont forsee them using something as a weapon for a ws that they weren't able to use as a weapon to begin with.
only way that pup would be able to do that then is if they made it weaponskill specific, or allow pups to actually throw the animator...i always thought that the animator shouldnt be used just for talking to the auto, that it should be used to inflict damage also, and that you could buy some on the AH or get them from NM's outside the three that are available, to give effects to the master, and the auto, and to give effects to the mob if it was thrown.
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-02 21:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing sadder than trying to get throwing weaponskills, is trying to get PUP in on the action.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-02 21:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
since so few jobs use throwing, and most of them are B or C skill, wouldnt be a game breaker.. as it would really be limited to DNC and NIN for use. atleast higher level WS's..
needs less melee rngs :<
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-02 21:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
needs less melee rngs :<
Actually I thought about still shooting or throwing. But seeing as throwing sweet spot is in melee range that wouldn't be a bad idea.

But I'd just like to throw arctic wind for a ws :). And ya know be able to do it again in a couple of min
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-02 21:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

in all seriousness drg has angon, while it's not a ws it's still throwing something to do something, which is what i was looking at for dnc and nin, doesnt have to do damage, but have a great affect which would make people want to use it regardless.
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-02 21:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
in all seriousness drg has angon, while it's not a ws it's still throwing something to do something, which is what i was looking at for dnc and nin, doesnt have to do damage, but have a great affect which would make people want to use it regardless.
same with war.. and tomohawk
 Fenrir.Dink
Server: Fenrir
user: Dinkydoo
By Fenrir.Dink 2011-04-02 21:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

would be cool if they made throwing weaponskills and introduced Juggler as a job in XI :D
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-02 21:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Dink said:
would be cool if they made throwing weaponskills and introduced Juggler as a job in XI :D
that would be kinda cool
 Odin.Drblade
Server: Odin
user: drblade
By Odin.Drblade 2011-04-02 21:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I think if they did make throwing ws then they would then augment the items for that slot. I remember a long time ago they augmented morion tathlum and some other items so that you couldn't throw them.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-02 21:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drblade said:
I think if they did make throwing ws then they would then augment the items for that slot. I remember a long time ago they augmented morion tathlum and some other items so that you couldn't throw them.
Hated that. I have actually been saved by throwing one of those in the past lol