Why Do You Get So Mad About Buying Gil?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why do you get so mad about buying gil?
Why do you get so mad about buying gil?
First Page 2
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Especially when it doesn't effect you? Legitimate question here, but you guys get way too mad about how other people play the game XD
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-30 12:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Die botter scum.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-30 12:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

and your gil buyers too.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-03-30 12:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

People still buy GIL?
I can't even remember the last time I heard of RMT /tells. I thought them going silent meant there were no more Gilbuyers on Odin.
Being naive much?
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

U so mad
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-03-30 12:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I dont have enough disposable income to buy my own.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
People still buy GIL?
I can't even remember the last time I heard of RMT /tells. I thought them going silent meant there were no more Gilbuyers on Odin.
Being naive much?

I just bought 2 mill.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-03-30 12:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
People still buy GIL?
Being naive much?

I just bought 2 mill.

You don't even play anymore :P
[+]
 Ifrit.Tulnig
Server: Ifrit
user: Tulnig
By Ifrit.Tulnig 2011-03-30 12:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

People dislike gil buyers/sellers because it drives up the prices of items on the AH.

One gil buyer probably wouldn't have an effect, but when lots of people are doing it, your shiny Scorpian Harness +1 could cost 25mil, like it did back in 2005/2006, instead of a few hundred thousand gil as it did prior to the raise in the level cap. The truth is, gil buying does effect everyone.
[+]
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-03-30 12:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

As my avatar says: "Who *** Cares?"

I dont care what you do with your money. If you want to buy fake money in a fake world, do your thing. I only like rare/ex anyway.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2011-03-30 12:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't played in a long time, but I did get annoyed at botters/buyers. Best reason I can give is the same reason I get annoyed at athletes who use steroids: it's cheating and spoils the spirit of competition because it puts you in an unfair position against those who play the way it was meant to be played. I'm not going to go into a huge rant about it or anything, but that's my reason.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-30 12:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Especially when it doesn't effect you? Legitimate question here, but you guys get way too mad about how other people play the game XD
It does effect me! It can cause in/deflation. People going for relics who didn't have money before can now compete w/ me for currency, driving up prices for all!

etc etc.

valid points, but in actuality, i don't give a ***.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-03-30 12:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no problem with people who buy gil, I did used to get really pissed off with the gilseller tells though.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-30 12:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
People who lie about it make me hate. If you're that embarrassed about buying it, don't do it. Nobody gives a *** otherwise.
This.

I've purchased gil but it was years and years ago.
By Wombat 2011-03-30 12:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sketchkat said:
I haven't played in a long time, but I did get annoyed at botters. Best reason I can give is the same reason I get annoyed at athletes who use steroids: it's cheating and spoils the spirit of competition because it puts you in an unfair position against those who play the way it was meant to be played. I'm not going to go into a huge rant about or anything, but that's my reason.
I believe you're looking for the thread with a slightly different OP.

Edit: Looks like you edited, so here's an edit to acknowledge that edit.
[+]
 Asura.Ashleh
By Asura.Ashleh 2011-03-30 12:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I JUST BOUGHT SOME GILLS AND NOW IM SENDING LARGE AMOUNTS OF IT TO ALL THE PLAYERS I DISLIKE VIA D-BOX.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2011-03-30 12:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Wombat said:
Valefor.Sketchkat said:
I haven't played in a long time, but I did get annoyed at botters. Best reason I can give is the same reason I get annoyed at athletes who use steroids: it's cheating and spoils the spirit of competition because it puts you in an unfair position against those who play the way it was meant to be played. I'm not going to go into a huge rant about or anything, but that's my reason.
I believe you're looking for the thread with a slightly different OP.

Edit: Looks like you edited, so here's an edit to acknowledge that edit.

Lol, yeah, I meant to give an answer to both thread without actually posting in both.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lodo
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lodo
By Carbuncle.Lodo 2011-03-30 12:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Tulnig said:
People dislike gil buyers/sellers because it drives up the prices of items on the AH.

One gil buyer probably wouldn't have an effect, but when lots of people are doing it, your shiny Scorpian Harness +1 could cost 25mil, like it did back in 2005/2006, instead of a few hundred thousand gil as it did prior to the raise in the level cap. The truth is, gil buying does effect everyone.

The inflation of 2005/2006 was due to Gil and item duping by RMT, not Gil buying itself.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-03-30 12:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Im mad because there are no more pancakes!

/tableflip
[+]
 Ifrit.Tulnig
user: Tulnig
By Ifrit.Tulnig 2011-03-30 12:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lodo said:
Ifrit.Tulnig said:
People dislike gil buyers/sellers because it drives up the prices of items on the AH. One gil buyer probably wouldn't have an effect, but when lots of people are doing it, your shiny Scorpian Harness +1 could cost 25mil, like it did back in 2005/2006, instead of a few hundred thousand gil as it did prior to the raise in the level cap. The truth is, gil buying does effect everyone.
The inflation of 2005/2006 was due to Gil and item duping by RMT, not Gil buying itself.

RMT and Gil buying is highly correlated. The purpose of RMT (Real Money Trade) is to sell game currency/items for real world money. Even if it means increasing prices on the AH so RMTs can accumulate more gil to sell. Generally I don't make a distiction between the two since there would be no RMTs if there wasn't a real world market for gil/items.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-03-30 12:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

You obviously don't understand some fundamentals of FFXI's economy. It does affect everyone - SE banning hundreds of gil sellers and removing billions of gil from the economy is proof of that.

It's an unfair advantage, specifically for people who have more money than they need. Classism in FF, gogo.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

You obviously don't understand some fundamentals of FFXI's economy. It does affect everyone - SE banning hundreds of gil sellers and removing billions of gil from the economy is proof of that.

It's an unfair advantage, specifically for people who have more money than they need. Classism in FF, gogo.

The economy has been dead since 2005.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-03-30 12:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
People still buy GIL?
Being naive much?

:o I'm in the same boat as Sheelay, didn't even realize it still happened. Just forgot about it, I guess. It seems kind of silly to buy gil now, since so much of the best stuff is r/e. The only thing people seem to actually need gil for is food (sushi, curry buns, etc), medicine (echo drops, silent oils, etc), ninja tools (for the ones who don't use the universal tool) and low-level gear/weapons that they can just sell back when they are leveled a bit. Then again, I see most people not using food and people who should be able to take care of themselves begging for sneak/invis all the time, so >.>
[+]
 Asura.Alexstaifter
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-03-30 12:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
People still buy GIL?
Being naive much?

:o I'm in the same boat as Sheelay, didn't even realize it still happened. Just forgot about it, I guess. It seems kind of silly to buy gil now, since so much of the best stuff is r/e. The only thing people seem to actually need gil for is food (sushi, curry buns, etc), medicine (echo drops, silent oils, etc), ninja tools (for the ones who don't use the universal tool) and low-level gear/weapons that they can just sell back when they are leveled a bit. Then again, I see most people not using food and people who should be able to take care of themselves begging for sneak/invis all the time, so >.>

And really now a days, it is pretty easy to make income without really trying, so the idea of buying gil is pretty stupid IMO.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Lodo
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lodo
By Carbuncle.Lodo 2011-03-30 13:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Tulnig said:
RMT and Gil buying is highly correlated. The purpose of RMT (Real Money Trade) is to sell game currency/items for real world money. Even if it means increasing prices on the AH so RMTs can accumulate more gil to sell. Generally I don't make a distiction between the two since there would be no RMTs if there wasn't a real world market for gil/items.

Other games that combat RMT by performing RMT themselves don't have the issue that FFXI had. RMT when done honestly is an exchange of goods and services, I pay you for your time.

FFXI's problem was the exploitation of certain features that allowed the creation of millions of gil instantly. I could run 20 fishing bots all day long in Qufim catching nothing but Black Sole by watching IDs, but there still needs to be gil in the system for them to be bought. While I appreciate your point that there needs to be a market for gil-sellers to run, but regular players used these exploits too, and you don't hear too much about how they ruined the game.
[+]
 Asura.Ashleh
By Asura.Ashleh 2011-03-30 18:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

bump
[+]
First Page 2