Forum » FFXIVPro.com » Suggestions » Linkshell and Individual Ranking
Linkshell and Individual Ranking
 Asura.Laerry
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-30 11:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ffxivpro.com offers individual and linkshell rankings which makes it a unique site. It is unfortunate that the best thing about the site is extremely flawed. As a linkshell leader, I took the time to register myself and my linkshell. Using this as a tool to gauge our growth, I was completely disappointed. The website does offer other functions that are nice to use as well, but the ranking is what makes it so different. In order for the system to work it requires all members to be updated in a reasonable amount of time. I have members that have not been updated for weeks or over a month. I noticed that the members that register get updated; basically forcing a leader to make sure all his or her members register on this site. This causes the site rankings to be extremely flawed and basically useless. There is no way to get every person to register here and then update their own characters constantly to make the ranking system accurate. There are other sites to get information. Please fix the ranking system that makes this site unique to others.
[+]
 Asura.Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-30 12:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I would also venture to say that keeping your ranking system accurate makes good business sense. More players would come to this site if they knew you were up to date on ranking. More players would be interested. As it stands, I'm going to make a wild leap and say only 10% of the community is actually registered. By making the ranking system more proficient you would generate more traffic and that would make your advertisers happy. This site would be exclusive to ranking. You could also allow the linkshell leaders to manually update their own linkshells if necessary.
By SniperRifle 2011-03-30 15:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually a little over a month ago anyone could update anyone. You just had to logout and you could update anyones character. And before that you used to be able to stay logged in to your ffxivpro account and still update others.

My only guess to why they stopped this is because some people didn't want to be updated? i.e People would spend all day grinding a class then go on ffxivpro to update themself just to find out an anonymous user had updated them.

All I can suggest is just spread the word to your LS, via website if your Linkshell has one. PS3 isn't out yet and I figure most players play in windowed mode anyways. The game lacks content so, just urge them to spend a minute or two to register here and [Update] their character once and a while.
By sefirot 2011-03-30 21:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

i agree with laerry
By AquaRegia 2011-03-30 21:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is not own LS, it's everyone else.

You can make everyone in LS to register and regularly update, but when everyone else are out of date it does absolutely zero good.
By jdcho99 2011-03-30 21:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

whhhooooo caaarrreeesss =p
[+]
By LateReg 2011-03-30 22:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

not i
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-30 22:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

AquaRegia said:

You can make everyone in LS to register and regularly update, but when everyone else are out of date it does absolutely zero good.
It does zero good anyways.. I never saw the point in the ranking system at all..
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Server: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-30 22:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
AquaRegia said:

It does zero good anyways.. I never saw the point in the ranking system at all..

epeen
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-30 22:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
AquaRegia said:

epeen
Aren't there plenty of other ways to manage that?
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Server: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-30 23:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
AquaRegia said:

epeen
Aren't there plenty of other ways to manage that?

this is just another way
By AquaRegia 2011-03-30 23:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

No one care about ranking, it's actual what people have leveled that's useful information when you try to look for someone for syn or party. Right now that require search and then link to lodestone source, which is rather backwards and generally not helpful.

I'm trying to find 40+ culi for black pearl syn. There is a nice advanced search feature on the site, except that it's not finding what it supposed to, and nowhere else has that functionality.
By sefirot 2011-03-31 07:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe and auto update to everyone at a certain time. like data auto-refresh every midnight or so.
By Akamu 2011-03-31 09:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I never saw the point of individually updating yourself.

Everyone needs to be automatically updated, like on loadstone.
[+]
 Asura.Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-31 11:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

jdcho99 said:
whhhooooo caaarrreeesss =p

I care and more people would care if the site was accurate. As far as I know, this is the only site where you can pull up your entire linkshell and have a listing of their jobs and crafts. I for one like to be able to find a crafter or to level up jobs with members of my linkshell. This site allows me to look at all my linkshell members on a single page. Because this site is inaccurate I can't really know if someone listed actually has a job at that level. For anyone that says, "I don't care about ranking", you are missing out on a very useful tool offered here. I think an automatic update daily would greatly improve the feasability of the function.
[+]
 Asura.Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-31 11:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I get the impression that this site really isn't interested in using the capability of offering their service profficiently in respects to the ranking system. If any of my fellow players knows of a site that does offer a similar service, can you please message me. I'm very interested in a site that lay's out players information accurately. I like that this site lays it out on one page and I would appreciate something similar. I think it's a very useful tool that can aide me and my linkshell.
By AquaRegia 2011-03-31 12:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, guess what, they are loaded!

Now see if I can find someone to unload some of the +3 Oyster
By SniperRifle 2011-03-31 13:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

No idea why people wouldn't want a ranking system. But to attend to your "This site isn't accurate in telling me my linkshell members information" situtation... There is a little button that says [Source] by the players page. Click on it, it links you right to their lodestone, which is updated at least every 30minutes.
[+]
By AquaRegia 2011-03-31 13:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is this is the only site that has a search job by level feature, and you can't find correct people if they don't have right info. (I wish lodestone has that feature but that's a different story)
 Asura.Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-31 13:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I really can't believe I have to break this down more. I truely think there are only trolls that read these. How completely frustrating. Is it really unreasonable that if I take the time to register my linkshell to ask that my linkshell's information be updated more regularly? Can you please tell me why this site can not offer such a service when it is so desirable? Who would not like to view CURRENT information on their linkshell on one page instead of searching each person? Is there a reason this site won't update the linkshell I registered on here? I can also randomly add thoughts that really don't have any benefit to the person posting but I assumed that people on this site would be helpful or offer an explanation that actually makes sense. If anyone can please help me I would appreciate it. I would actually like to see this service somewhere.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-03-31 13:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the current update policy and some stats.

Registered users can manually update their profile or it will automatically update in 2 days.

Everyone else will be updated when we get to them.

We have around 384,000 characters in our database, of that 8,000 registered characters. I keep track of changes on any lodestone profile, if nothing changes they are flagged as inactive. For unregistered users, time between scans will be at least 2 weeks.

Out of the 384,000 characters, about 312,000 are marked as inactive. Keep in mind that I remove characters that lodestone says "doesn't exist".

Recently, I am using this inactive flag to give update priority to those that still play.

______     ___      ___    
 /_____//   / _ \\   / _ \\  
 `____ `   / //\ \\ | / \ || 
 /___//   |  ___  ||| \_/ || 
 `__ `    |_||  |_|| \___ \\ 
 /_//     `-`   `-`  `---`   
 `-`                         

I can't find my character, where is it?
It's possible we don't have your character, especially if it was created recently (is the last 30days) or due to lodestone search limitations.

How can I add a character if it's not there?
Attempt to verify it or add your linkshell.

Why don't you update every char automatically like lodestone?
We update as fast we as can in a responsible way. We don't want to send lodestone 300k+ http requests per day unless they authorize it. Early on, an SE rep contacted me about how often we hit their servers. They blocked some of my IPs but later released them. I'm really not sure if they are still blocking IP's, but I guarantee if they have server slow downs they will do an audit of their logs.

I am trying to update chars that still play. One way is to give priority to registered characters and to detect characters that don't play. I am also looking at what a character pages get viewed.

So if you see a character that hasn't been updated in weeks or months, it's possible they aren't active anyway.
 Asura.Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-31 13:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I truely appreciate your input. Is there any way you can have linkshells that register updated more regularly? I naively assumed that once I registered my linkshell it would be updated regularly. Also, since it appears you are doing this all manually, why not enable the individual linkshell leaders to update their linkshell. This would save you time and I know this would enable me to have current listing of my linkshell members and their job ranks. I really find this service extremely beneficial. I run an active linkshell and I try to organize groups and events that cater to the individual player. It's a wonderful resource if only it could be more accurate.
 Asura.Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-31 13:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I will further explain why I appreciate this service so much. This weekend we are having a Linkshell Fishing Event. Because some of my players are rank 1 - 10 and 10 - 20 and so forth I need to place them at different locations. The option of coming to this site and simply pulling up job ranks makes my job easier, since it's all laid out for me and current. The other option is to ask everyone or goto The Lodestone and pull up every players information. I am guessing you can understand why I would rather come here and see it all on one page. We do many similar events. It would be helpful if I could simply update my members manually to keep it current. Thanks for reading this.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-03-31 13:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Laerry said:
I truely appreciate your input. Is there any way you can have linkshells that register updated more regularly? I naively assumed that once I registered my linkshell it would be updated regularly. Also, since it appears you are doing this all manually, why not enable the individual linkshell leaders to update their linkshell. This would save you time and I know this would enable me to have current listing of my linkshell members and their job ranks. I really find this service extremely beneficial. I run an active linkshell and I try to organize groups and events that cater to the individual player. It's a wonderful resource if only it could be more accurate.

I don't know yet. I will have to think of the implications and how many linkshell leaders we have currently. I didn't do that with FFXIAH although it has almost 100k registered characters. I will think about it for sure.
 Asura.Laerry
By Asura.Laerry 2011-03-31 14:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate it. I am also a registered member of ffxiah.com and have been for many years. I think you offer an excellent, exclusive resource. I can't personally think of any reason letting linkshell leaders update their own linkshell could be adverse. I hope you will give it serious consideration and I wish to thank you personally for your website.
By Celaria 2011-04-04 11:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Any update on this as of yet? really hope this happens! ^^