http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/2262
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-03-16 03:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Rolling blackouts and restrictions on public transportation have been implemented across eastern Japan as part of the earthquake and tsunami disaster relief effort. Consequently, we have chosen to delay the upcoming major version update initially planned for mid-April.

While the new release date has been provisionally revised to May, we are unable to provide a detailed schedule at this point in time. The previously announced world merger will likewise be postponed.

We would like to express our apologies to our players, and will do our utmost to keep you abreast of the latest developments. Thank you for your continued understanding in this difficult time.

----
Sincerely,

The FINAL FANTASY XI Team

For the lazy.

I figured it would have been in April, pre-disasters.
By Artemicion 2011-03-16 03:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel bad accepting an apology over a video game now.
I think I'd feel better knowing Japan was in a stable and sound environment before SE can flick the ON switch again.
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-16 03:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I can deal with this. Gives me time to cap out my terrible skills before the cap goes up again.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-16 03:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I think I'd feel better knowing Japan was in a stable and sound environment before SE can flick the ON switch again.

Same...I've said alot of heart-felts.. to Japan and such.. I'm running out of what to say now... Hope things turn out for the better...
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-16 03:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:

This too. Though, most of us knew the update would be held back, and accepted that alongside the servers being shutdown, as I did. As I said, I'm perfectly fine with this, I'm willing to give them all the time they need, given the situation.
 Caitsith.Taereon
Server: Caitsith
user: Halo4
By Caitsith.Taereon 2011-03-16 03:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

UNFORGIVABLE!

The original update was planned for mid-April?!?! They were going to milk those update details for all their worth I see. j/k.

They are awesome for keeping us up to date with what's going on, but then again that's just good customer service. You can do it, Japan (I too have run out of things to say)!
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-16 03:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Delays the Merge too, I'm all for that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-03-16 04:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2011-03-16 04:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You and I both Zic!!!
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-16 06:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

:/
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2011-03-16 06:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Mid april??? I thought it was supposed to be today that the update was supposed to happen... now all the way to may ; ; /sadface.
[+]
 Ifrit.Maddii
Server: Ifrit
user: Maddi
By Ifrit.Maddii 2011-03-16 06:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Delays the Merge too, I'm all for that.

merge has ben cancelled. its server meltdown now ;)...../hides
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-16 06:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else feel this will hurt FFXI and especially FFXIV really badly? lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2011-03-16 06:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:

Yeah, it'll hurt FFXIV's new player base, the ones that weren't used to the way FFXI was and how everything is based in Japan and kind of has to go that way. I'm sure they'll probably lose a good 50% if not more of that population to WoW or LotR or what have you.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-16 06:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:

In terms of XIV maybe.

At the moment it's still free to play and the die hards will still play it post server restoration.

And the rest of us played it casually enough not to really notice.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-16 06:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that is mainly what I meant. I am sure they aren't going to update FFXIV either if this is the case and as it stands a lot of people that I know personally are dabbling in new MMOs atm due to the downtime. I have a feeling they won't come back :x.
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2011-03-16 06:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The crappy <my opinion> mmo i have been playing in this downtime make me miss ffxi even more. LOTRO is not half the game ffxi is but costs more per month.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-16 06:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Yeah that is mainly what I meant. I am sure they aren't going to update FFXIV either if this is the case and as it stands a lot of people that I know personally are dabbling in new MMOs atm due to the downtime. I have a feeling they won't come back :x.

There's a chance of that happening. I guess I'll have to see. Hopefully it will drag a few people back if there's a major update post server restoration. It seems likely there will be seeing as we had another one in march and two in April.

And I assume work will be still be done on the game even if it's not up at the coding and testing level.

I've just jumped into Guild Wars to get loads of stuff unlocked before Guild Wars 2.
By thefinalrune 2011-03-16 07:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Makes me feel bad for all the people that now have to wait an additional 30-60 days to create, reactivate or transfer characters on the world merger servers.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-16 08:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Wukong said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:

If it does it'll probably be those people who were insensitive to the victims first to go and honestly, do you really want to play with people who value a game over human life?

Actually it has nothing to do with that. I wish people would stop being overbearing carebears about this issue and wanting to burn everyone at the stake for not caring every second of their life. These are the same people who prolly did nothing when other disasters were in the media.

Listen... its mostly the fact that people get BORED and atm they are trying new games. I know of at least 6+ people that are trying new MMO's right now due to 11 being down, you trying to tell me with no new content coming for almost 3 months that people will just return? I think its likely they will go to a different game, not because they value a game over human life but because they are bored.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kailana
Server: Ramuh
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2011-03-16 08:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

thefinalrune said:
Makes me feel bad for all the people that now have to wait an additional 30-60 days to create, reactivate or transfer characters on the world merger servers.

Never thought of that, that does really suck. Are they doing this to cut down on griefing? (last merge a lot of jerks made mules of peoples names knowing the people coming to their server would have to change their name)
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-03-16 08:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Morier said:
The crappy <my opinion> mmo i have been playing in this downtime make me miss ffxi even more. LOTRO is not half the game ffxi is but costs more per month.
LOTRO and FFXI should never be compared side by side, imo. They are two completely different types of MMOs.

BTW, you don't have to pay for LOTRO. Can't really complain about the price then, especially if you don't like it.

On topic, I don't think anyone is surprised by this.
 Ramuh.Zaknafein
By Ramuh.Zaknafein 2011-03-16 09:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Suits me fine as there were things I wanted accomplished prior to the merge.
[+]
By Serj 2011-03-16 09:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

thefinalrune said:

Hopefully this only affects the servers going poof? Having to wait 1-2 months longer for the ability to reactivate would really, really, suck...
 Unicorn.Tessy
Server: Unicorn
user: Tessy
By Unicorn.Tessy 2011-03-16 09:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing new here, but to understand this correctly, FFXI will at erliest re-open 30 days and mabey even go up to 60 days?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-03-16 09:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tessy said:
Well nothing new here, but to understand this correctly, FFXI will at erliest re-open 30 days and mabey even go up to 60 days?
The update will be pushed back. That's all they said, don't try to read into it further.
 Unicorn.Tessy
Server: Unicorn
user: Tessy
By Unicorn.Tessy 2011-03-16 09:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Unicorn.Tessy said:
Well nothing new here, but to understand this correctly, FFXI will at erliest re-open 30 days and mabey even go up to 60 days?
The update will be pushed back. That's all they said, don't try to read into it further.

Okay thanks Nightfyre.
 Bismarck.Punchus
Server: Bismarck
user: Punchus
By Bismarck.Punchus 2011-03-16 10:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd expect rolling blackouts throughout April putting the servers down for atleast another 40 days. What I'd also expect is that SE would just implement the update/merge when they are able to turn the servers on instead of waiting a week or so after.
First Page 2