Question About FPS?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Question about FPS?
Question about FPS?
 Siren.Kogasho
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-10 13:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, i use a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M graphics card, intel duo core processor, when i start the game up an run around it is fine but i find when i flux in abyssea an they have ppl around or sometimes nobody around my FPS would drop to like 7-12 fps, when its normal i run about 34 fps why does my game automatically run smooth then turn to ***? any advice?
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-03-10 13:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The game doesn't use your GPU like most newer games do. Its drawing each player using CPU power. The more people, the slower each frame. Basically. You could buy yourself a $10,000 rig with dual top-end video cards and a crazy CPU and still FFXI will perform like ***with a bunch of people on the screen.

PS2 limitations.
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-03-10 13:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
The game doesn't use your GPU like most newer games do. Its drawing each player using CPU power. The more people, the slower each frame. Basically. You could buy yourself a $10,000 rig with dual top-end video cards and a crazy CPU and still FFXI will perform like ***with a bunch of people on the screen.

PS2 limitations.
lol
not to mentions for some reason fluxes and telport crystals just seem to to make the fps in that game go HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in general
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-03-10 13:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to help yourself out, turn off shadows, turn off weather effects, turn the number of characters displayed to minimum. Then you can start doing more drastic stuff like playing at a smaller resolution.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-10 13:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:

PS2 limitations.
lol
not to mentions for some reason fluxes and telport crystals just seem to to make the fps in that game go HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in general

This... sucks so bad lol

Question for Quad Cores... maybe it's technically running off of only 1 core? Thus the lag?
[+]
 Siren.Kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-10 13:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya i understand that but why does my Frames per second drop drastically and it doesnt run smooth my toon looks like hes walking all stick like just looks really laggy but doesnt seem to happen when im in town or anything
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-03-10 13:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI does only run on one core of a quad-core. You can start 4 instances of FFXI (provided you have the memory for it) and they'll all play just fine utilizing each core.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-10 13:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odd when I click "Set Affinity" it shows CPU 0,1,2, being used and still lags :S
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-03-10 13:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kogasho said:
Ya i understand that but why does my Frames per second drop drastically and it doesnt run smooth my toon looks like hes walking all stick like just looks really laggy but doesnt seem to happen when im in town or anything
Some zones have more stuff going on than others. Towns my computer runs fine except for high traffic areas.

Batallia Downs {S} for some reason is REALLY laggy on my system.

When I'm dualboxing and I stand near a Veridical Conflux for more than 5 seconds I can hear my CPU fan start going full blast (never hear it otherwise).

The game is just not built to run on high end machines. You could try updating your video card drivers, but honestly, until they rewrite the FFXI engine to work properly utilizing a GPU (e.g. never), you are just going to have to deal with it.
 Siren.Kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-10 14:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
not to mentions for some reason fluxes and telport crystals just seem to to make the fps in that game go HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in general[/quote]

this exactly, i telport to a flux an then when the screen load it bring my fps wayyyyyy down this seems to trigger the blockyness effect the most
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-03-10 14:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kogasho said:

this exactly, i telport to a flux an then when the screen load it bring my fps wayyyyyy down this seems to trigger the blockyness effect the most
Nothing you can do about it lol. It's funny because despite how beastly my pc is no matter how high the settings go the fps dip is always the same. Ironically....less dip on xbox lol
 Leviathan.Korialstrasz
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Korialstrasz 2011-03-10 14:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If a lot of the lag is around fluxes and telepoints and such (which many people seem to always have issues with) you could always try swapping the dats to something easily visible but far less laggy, such as homepoints. That's what I did, and now all the lag I used to have at fluxes is gone.

Siren.Kogasho said:
i run about 34 fps
Isn't FFXI capped at 29.4 or some oddball number like that?
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-03-10 14:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Korialstrasz said:
I
Siren.Kogasho said:
i run about 34 fps
Isn't FFXI capped at 29.4 or some oddball number like that?
Yeah, he's simply full of ***.

It's actually 'capped' at 30, but ends up at 29.4ish because of vsync to 60hz dropping a frame every now and then.
[+]
 Siren.Kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-10 14:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I just dont know why i run like 29-34 FPS for a good 1-2 hrs then it just drops down to 12-17 >.<
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-03-10 14:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kogasho said:
I just dont know why i run like 29-34 FPS for a good 1-2 hrs then it just drops down to 12-17 >.<
Eyeballing ftw.
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-03-10 14:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Raelia said:
Siren.Kogasho said:
Eyeballing ftw.
Regardless of what the cap frame rate is his question was why does it drop, which you did nothing to answer.

Pretty much it boils down to the limitations of the game/game engine. And the coding used for teh game. It's like asking why on earth they would put an intense event like dynamis in ru'lude an area that is already poorly coded when discussing the limitations of the game. it's just something you have to deal with.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-03-10 14:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the insight urinalcakes, but he's on my troll/retard list because three people have now chimed in about the 30fps cap. He also used the word 'toon', reinforcing this.

His question was answered. FFXI is a spaghetti code port.
[+]
 Leviathan.Korialstrasz
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Korialstrasz 2011-03-10 19:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, for those who know how to change your dats and have bad lag at confluxes and telepoints, the dat locations are:

ROM/3/29 for telepoints (doesn't remove glow on the ground)
ROM/240/111 abyssea conflux

I personally replaced them both with homepoints (ROM/3/25), and completely got rid of all lag at those areas.
[+]