Forum » FFXI » General » Merge FFXI with FFXIV
Merge FFXI with FFXIV
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-10 15:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:

I liked everything Squaresoft ever made. NES,SNES,PS etc. It didn't matter. Even their mediocre games beat out half of the crap coming from the competiton (unless you count working designs, or if you are japanese and think the dragon warrior series was superior to FF). At some point Enix took over and decided to change the company motto to Quantity and Profitability over Quality. The only benefit is that the Dragon Quest games actually benefitted from the merger.

I honestly get the impression this new creature Square has become, with the Enix cancer ravaging it's veins, is so grossly out of touch that they have no idea what they're doing. I think they genuinely thought "if we release FFXIV with no content or anything besides hot new graphics, itll still rock the boat." Did anyone actually feel a remote bit of empathy or relation to the characters and storyline in 12 or 13? Sure Fran gave me a twinge in my pants but otherwise I felt I was grinding out hours just to FORCE myself to finish it for "ive beaten every FF game ever" completion. I used to fall in love with a FF game. I still periodically refurbish or rebuy deal SNES's on ebay just for the nostalgia of the games over an emulator.

I'm sorry but pointing out the monetary "success" of SE does not mean they aren't a failure. Squaresoft indoctrinated generations of gamers into salivating at the mouth for months before a game release. Now the latest FF games are like "the spirits within". They have the final fantasy name on them but they otherwise dont relate and generally dissapoint everyone.

I think you got Enix confused for Yoichi Wada.

The only real stinkers coming from Enix are the games developed by Tri-Ace.... which is pretty much everything associated with Enix aside from Dragon Quest and the long-gone SNES era Quintet games.
By Artemicion 2011-03-10 16:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I don't know what made me like XII while others wailed in agony from its creation. Perhaps it was open world gameplay similar to XI, thus being my XI away from XI and not having to deal with people.

Perhaps it was essentially being an FF version of Star Wars. There's good and bad within that but it was amusing to me at least.

Or maybe it was the simple acknowledgment for the grand scheme of elements within every FF that I liked, not to mention it taking place in Ivalice.

I suppose some things can never be fully explained, but for whatever reason I enjoyed XII very much. The host of NPCs to talk to and their dialog concerning the current situation was also very well done IMO.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2011-03-10 16:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
xi didn't even come close to amassing the rave that wow did, therefore why would square bros ever recreate a game that failed to do what they initially planned to do: make mad cash moneys
I can't think of more ways this statement could be wrong. For one, FFXI came out before WoW. How could they possibly have been aiming for something that not only didn't exist yet, but the potential market share probably wasn't even imaginable. Secondly, FFXI is the single most lucrative title they have ever created. I don't have exact figures, but I would guess with great confidence that the game has netted them more income than every other Final Fantasy combined. If you want to call that a "fail" at making mad cash cows, I have no idea what a success would be.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Alexander.Gib
Server: Alexander
user: Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2011-03-10 16:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If by merge you mean redo FFXI's graphics with FF14's Graphics, then hell yeah, otherwise, no
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-10 16:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Erm, what exactly are you talking about with this grave? This company is doing very well financially...
Not really.

Their stock price is at or near 10-year lows and has lost something like half its valuation in just the past few years.

It's not in danger of going under by any means. It's a mega-corporation with tons of assets, and can easily slide for quite awhile.

But no corporation suffers such a sustained and pronounced slump without serious consequences. Especially not when you're announcing things like a 95% earnings drop over the next year.

I'm honestly shocked that Wada still has his job.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-10 16:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Merge FFXI with Mortal Kombat. To hell with you if you disagree. To hell.
[+]
 Caitsith.Jadi
Server: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2011-03-10 16:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

There will never be a graphics update or a new client to FFXI. PS2 (and to the level FF14 is possibly even Xbox) can't support it. If they did do it they would be sued by PS2 players.

Over the years they have been creative in making additions with the limitations of the PS2 but it's not going to get much better when it's tied to a console system like that.

That's one of the reasons for the Windower.

Quote:
Windower Wiki:
Windower is a project that strives to bring many positive enhancements to the game. Windower is not attempting to hurt any other players' gaming experience. Our goal is to make the game more enjoyable and enhanced in the areas that the PS2 is holding the game back.

Sorry guys, as much as you or I want it, not gonna be.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-10 16:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Alexander.Gib said:
If by merge you mean redo FFXI's graphics with FF14's Graphics, then hell yeah, otherwise, no

If by redo FFXI's graphics you mean do nothing, then hell yeah, otherwise, no.

Its possible but it would be an outside project to have high res dat files.
By Artemicion 2011-03-10 16:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This might sound silly, but an idea I've fancied for several years is to have Square publish some books going into further detail on the background, storyline, and lore of their various games including FFXI.

It might seem like selling out or lame in the same manner that Blizzard releases various filler for World of Warcraft, but books simply go into much greater and more intimate detail that holds grasp on one's attention and imagination as much if not more so than video games do. Plus there are plenty of "holes" in our favorite FF stories I'm sure we'd love at least put under a different angle of light/perspective or explained from the creators themselves.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-10 16:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
This might sound silly, but an idea I've fancied for several years is to have Square publish some books going into further detail on the background, storyline, and lore of their various games including FFXI.

It might seem like selling out or lame in the same manner that Blizzard releases various filler for World of Warcraft, but books simply go into much greater and more intimate detail that holds grasp on one's attention and imagination as much if not more so than video games do. Plus there are plenty of "holes" in our favorite FF stories I'm sure we'd love at least put under a different angle of light/perspective or explained from the creators themselves.

I would love this for Vana'diel. Blizzard has been doing some pretty legit side material for some time with their franchises (you can almost predict Diablo III if you check out the books written for Diablo 1).

Likewise, there's the Front Mission series. A part of it's appeal in Japan is the incredible setting illustrated with official manga, novels, model kits etc.. Aside from being generally poor, this could be another reason why Front Mission Evolved flopped when it completely abandoned continuity; it's lore actually is a big deal to their fans.

Final Fantasy XI has an official manwha and at least a couple novels already but I can't find any info on them. Enterbrain handles a good deal of their supplementary material like the Ultimania books.
 Ifrit.Daemun
Server: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-03-10 17:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Merge FFXI with Mortal Kombat. To hell with you if you disagree. To hell.
I like where this is going
 Valefor.Forgotten
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-03-10 17:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

FINISH HIM!

/ja Chainspell <me>
/ma "Fire IV" <t>

TOASTY~!
[+]