Forum » FFXI » Digging » Chocobo raising
Chocobo raising
 Ifrit.Durai
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: olan
By Ifrit.Durai 2009-03-13 10:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm about to start raising my first chocobo and I have a few questions...

When you get two chocobos to mate, can you pick which parent the child gets the abilities from? If so, does the baby learn all of the abilities the parent knows or just a few?

If both parents are green, will the baby be green as well?

Which care plans have any of you used that have made a chocobo great for speed and endurance?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-13 10:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't guarentee any abilities or colour, but if both parents possess the same (abilities or colour) then there's a good chance the chick will too.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Chocobo_Raising_Guide

Wiki has a good guide covering 99% of it. I used it a lot when I raised my first choco, although that was a while ago so some things may have been ninja'd.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-03-13 10:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The ability learned and the color inherited is dependant on which Honeymoon plan you choose.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/VCS_Honeymoon_Ticket

Pick the plan that will allow your chick to be born with the trait of the parent that you choose. Also, only one trait can be inherited. That means that if you pick a parent chocobo with Burrow AND Bore then the chick will only learn one of these. Due to the difficulty of obtaining certain stories in some nations, people will often raise a starter chocobo to learn one ability that they can pass along to their main chick. This way you do not have to worry about learning the ability that is the easier to obtain and spending valuable time attempting to unlock the story and raise discernment to learn it. This is most important for people trying to raise runner chocobos due to the importance of switching them from mental training to physical training after they have learned their second ability.