Square Enix Forum
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-03-05 15:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I would hope not, The official forums should be reserved for serious, game only topics. Fan sites like this one shouldn't really be effected, fewer QQ threads on game related topics, but we'll still get the regualr political, religious and cultural trolling and QQ we've always enjoyed.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-03-05 15:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just damn time we can talk to some of the developers besides those Q and A crap.

ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE CREST BCNM?!?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-05 15:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I highly doubt they're going to ramp up a new FFXI team and start pumping out content/updates. If they were, they wouldn't have just issued another server merge. I have never heard of any MMO company ramping up that kind of spending on a nearly 10 year old game.

SE may be going for the same strategy to help offset the inevitable steep drop in subscriptions that will occur when they actually start charging.

Have you ever heard of Everquest? I would think issuing a world merge had more to do with $$$ than the interests of the players, considering the state of FFXIV. If not, then they might be planning something big that moves away from the low man aspect of the game now and requires more people. Or they are planning to divert the end game into multiple events instead of just Abyssea like it was before.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-05 18:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Have you ever heard of Everquest?
I worked on Everquest.

The situation is a bit different. EQ always maintained a strong Live team and continued to pump out something like 14 expansions after the game had otherwise long-tailed. But they never grew in customers -- all of that was just to mostly preserve the player base they had.

SE hasn't maintained that staff, nor treated the game like they intend it to be a money-maker for much longer. It would be a lot more difficult for them to about-face.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-05 18:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Why wouldn't SE do something similar though? They always stated they wanted people to play both games.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-05 18:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Why wouldn't SE do something similar though? They always stated they wanted people to play both games.
They could.

They're not going to shut the game down as long as it's making money, which it is. But justifying another multi-million dollar investment when it's almost guaranteed to not bring in any more users is a tough sell for investors.

If you're talking endless (relatively cheap) expansions, I'm sure they will. Just like SOE. But folks in this thread were talking about a complete rewrite, which I don't see happening.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-05 18:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My biggest worry about XIV is the timeline.

It's extremely expensive for SE right now. They're having to pay not only a full pre-launch dev team to overhaul the game, they're also having to pay all the Live operating and support costs they normally would anyway.

They're quite literally hemorrhaging money, and every month that goes by is another significant amount they have to earn back over months and years once they finally do start charging. It pushes the timeline for profitability further and further back.

At the same time, SE is a publicly-held company and the price of their stock is at 10-year lows. If SE doesn't intend to start making money off it in the next few months, there's going to be mounting pressure from shareholders to stop the bleeding.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-05 18:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

True enough but I also think it would depend on the current playerbase. It wouldn't have to completely fall on introducing new players. Depending on how many people still play the game, a full expansion could bring in a lot of revenue for them and make a profit. Even more so if older players return to experience it. 25 dollar expansion for every person is a lot. Looking at WOTG, they made out very well. All reskinned zones with different colors/brightness and only a few new models/areas introduced lol. Also took them ages to actually finish it.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2011-03-05 18:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

After firsthandedly witnessing what abyssea did to this game, and how fast it caught on. Plus the trial of the magians.

I don't see this game going anywhere for a LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG *** time. It was exactly what they needed to revive old content.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Server: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-03-06 19:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok...so how is this new ffxi forum going to be different from any other ffxi forum out there? Will SE actually use it as a tool for bettering the game? I hope so otherwise it seems like kind of a waste to make an "official" forum site when the games been out for...7 yrs now?
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-06 19:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Ok...so how is this new ffxi forum going to be different from any other ffxi forum out there? Will SE actually use it as a tool for bettering the game? I hope so otherwise it seems like kind of a waste to make an "official" forum site when the games been out for...7 yrs now?

This is the general opinion. Too little, too late.
 Valefor.Forgotten
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-03-08 14:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Thornyy said:
Printscreen button will clipboard whatever's onscreen without breaking any of the ToS, just needs to remain until you logout, at which point you paste in paint.

Regardless, official forums sound nigh-HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
You're doing it wrong. You make sure the app yoru pasting into has focus while you printscreen and while you paste because anytime ffxi's window gains focus it clears the clipboard contents.