First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-02 23:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Odin.Liela said:
That's kind of a thoughtful question. I can't really answer it. Being raised Christian (Baptist) and turning from the faith, I could never go back to Christianity. But I don't know enough about any other religions out there to make an educated decision about them.
You could just adopt a set of beliefs that aren't technically a religion. I like determinism myself
You have a House avatar, you can't discuss religion other than to strictly criticize it.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-02 23:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
I dunno. It seems several of the religions are okay, I like the general morals they teach, but there's parts of them I disagree with. I'd probably choose one of the christian religions, I just don't know enough about each of the individual sects(IS THAT WHAT THEY'RE CALLED IDK) to pick one.
Denominations I thought..
By Serj 2011-03-02 23:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Scientology

sup?

Hubology!

...anyone get that?
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-03-02 23:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
I dunno. It seems several of the religions are okay, I like the general morals they teach, but there's parts of them I disagree with. I'd probably choose one of the christian religions, I just don't know enough about each of the individual sects(IS THAT WHAT THEY'RE CALLED IDK) to pick one.
Denominations I thought..

Oh, yeah I think that's it. D:
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 23:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Odin.Liela said:
That's kind of a thoughtful question. I can't really answer it. Being raised Christian (Baptist) and turning from the faith, I could never go back to Christianity. But I don't know enough about any other religions out there to make an educated decision about them.
You could just adopt a set of beliefs that aren't technically a religion. I like determinism myself
You have a House avatar, you can't discuss religion other than to strictly criticize it.
Hence why I vote for determinism.

Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-03-02 23:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I took a World Religions class a few years ago, and I realized that out of every religion out there, in my opinion, if there were any organized religion I would consider joining would be Jainism

In a nutshell, it's complete pacifism. In some degree, I could never join, because I'm a carnivore. But the idea is nice. No harm to anyone or anything save the plants you eat. It's a nice idea (like Communism) but as long as there are greedy people, something like that would never be implemented correctly. But in a perfect world, something like that would make things more peaceful.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 23:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
You're still going to hell.
I understand that, I think most people who follow the unmoral atheist life style will go to hell.
I think I'm already in hell..

I just call it life though..

I think the atheist life style can feel like hell sometimes without direction and stuff.

without god's roadmap for your life

it's really the only place you'll end up
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-03-02 23:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The answer is obvious. I'd be a Viking.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2011-03-02 23:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism
No seriously, all religions are trash. Morals do not come from god, or tablets. You do not need religion to find morals, in fact you'd have better luck finding morals in the book of rick james than the holy bible.
I would also call this complete ***. To call religion trash is completely obscure and just shows a lack of intelligence. Almost all religions have a good general purpose.

Name one thing that religion offers that cannot be done by purely secular means, and is also based in proven fact and not fairytale afterlife unsubstanciated claims. Just one, i'll wait.

And you think secular means don't tell the same fictional stories to teach morals? The only difference between a religion and secular means is the religion uses their stories to bolster a supreme being in a specific theology. As I have said before, you can't prove or disprove a God or Gods exists. So what if people utilize religion as a means to try and stay within their God's or Gods' good graces and stay on a moral path? Atheists just hold morals to their own standards instead of fearing a God or Gods.
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-02 23:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd follow the ways of Daleism.

Basically, when you follow Daleism, you are automatically awesome.
[+]
 Valefor.Pewpeww
user: Enygma3
By Valefor.Pewpeww 2011-03-02 23:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism
No seriously, all religions are trash. Morals do not come from god, or tablets. You do not need religion to find morals, in fact you'd have better luck finding morals in the book of rick james than the holy bible.
I would also call this complete ***. To call religion trash is completely obscure and just shows a lack of intelligence. Almost all religions have a good general purpose.
Name one thing that religion offers that cannot be done by purely secular means, and is also based in proven fact and not fairytale afterlife unsubstanciated claims. Just one, i'll wait.
And you think secular means don't tell the same fictional stories to teach morals? The only difference between a religion and secular means is the religion uses their stories to bolster a supreme being in a specific theology. As I have said before, you can't prove or disprove a God or Gods exists. So what if people utilize religion as a means to try and stay within their God's or Gods' good graces and stay on a moral path? Atheists just hold morals to their own standards instead of fearing a God or Gods.
Still waiting...
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-02 23:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, damn you Flion.. Making a religion thread!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 23:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:

how else do you expect us to save souls
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-02 23:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Buddhism

I already believe in Karma, it would seem a natural choice. I agree with your assessment of Christianity, I've said as much myself quite a few times.

Kujata.Segaia said:
The church seems to be at war:

http://www.sharperfx.com/nb1/

or is just.... totally overdoing it Oo
No ad has ever made church look so bad ***.. Ever.

I still wouldn't go.. But the ad totally made me want to play Church: The Video Game.

Not even that Flash animated intro was enough to get Slipi to consider conversion. ;_;

/power of Flash compels me ;_;
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-02 23:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

With free sex.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-02 23:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

With free sex.

as long as it's not premarital

Ifrit.Daemun
Server: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-03-02 23:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
You're still going to hell.
I understand that, I think most people who follow the unmoral atheist life style will go to hell.
I think I'm already in hell..

I just call it life though..
According to my belief, this life is our hell. Life can suck, it gets infinitely better on the other side.
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-02 23:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

With free sex.

But having to marry everyone wouldn't work! D:
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 23:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:
With resistance credits
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2011-03-02 23:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism
Still waiting...

Waiting for what? Did I anywhere in that post say you were wrong?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 23:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:
With free sex.
So once you get married you can have sex with anyone anytime?
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-03-02 23:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hinduism.
 Titan.Ardiem
Server: Titan
user: Ardiem
By Titan.Ardiem 2011-03-02 23:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

HALLOWED ARE THE ORI!!!

In all seriousness, give me the Aesir.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2011-03-02 23:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Norse, our god dies being eaten by a big dog.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
user: eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2011-03-02 23:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Odin.Liela said:
Hence why I vote for determinism.

I always kind of liked determinism myself. I am not sure that I am completely sold on it, but I do confidently believe that the world is highly, or mostly, deterministic. The main argument I remember discussing in my metaphysics class that makes me hesitant to jump completely on board went something like this:

- Assume that determinism is true.
- If this is the case, then given all the relevant knowledge of a situation, we can predict the outcome.
- Now, assume that someone has the means to know all the relevant knowledge of a situation.
- Given this, can this person change the outcome?
- If yes, then it wasn't truly determined, and if no, then what exactly is it preventing him or her from doing so? Certainly the predicted outcome for, for example, how long a pencil will be on the table without it being moved is something that is physically possible for someone to change.

I know that we can argue that we can never have absolute knowledge. My problem with this is that it is not logically impossible to know everything. So, maybe the fact that it is physically impossible is what makes determinism the case. Perhaps determinism is dependent on this, and so the existence of determinism is contingent and not necessary (necessary at least in terms of this world). Or, perhaps the above argument is flawed because it is representing "prediction" in a false way.

I really don't know. I go back and forth on it, sometimes thinking that the world is only highly deterministic and that our consciousness is proof that it is not 100% so, while other times I think that our knowledge and consciousness just make the world seem non-deterministic.

Of course, then again, I suppose different people think differently about what determinism is. I take it to be the idea that given the past/present and the laws of nature, everything can be determined. For example, the next move I make essentially has to happen, and this can be predicted by what has happened up until my next move and the natural laws. That is the way I kind of see it, though perhaps not laid out as nicely as it could have been.

But, yea, determinism is certainly appealing to me (at least to some degree), and extremely interesting.

Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-03-02 23:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Valefor.Pewpeww said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
pastafarianism
Still waiting...
If it were based on proven fact then it wouldn't be classified as religion, it would be fact. Therefore, you're awaiting an impossible example to a paradoxial question...
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-02 23:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

My answer is that those "choices" we make were actually predermined as well. Including our attempts to change them. I also like it because it offers credible explanation for things like deja vu and people seeming to have some kind of future knowledge sometimes
 Bahamut.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-02 23:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
My answer is that those "choices" we make were actually predermined as well. Including our attempts to change them. I also like it because it offers credible explanation for things like deja vu and people seeming to have some kind of future knowledge sometimes

i think this except more of a there's multiple dimensions going on at the same time for every little choice

essentially an infinite amount of dimensions
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-03-02 23:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering athiesm is a religion what's happening to force them to change religions.
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-03-02 23:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:
Considering athiesm is a religion what's happening to force them to change religions.
A forced belief in some form of higher being (in this hypothetical thread)
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31