Red And Blue, Which Weapon For You?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Red and Blue, which weapon for you?
Red and Blue, which weapon for you?
 Lakshmi.Razius
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Razius07
By Lakshmi.Razius 2011-02-26 06:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This may have been answered elsewhere, but I'm curious to know peoples actual reconmendations and personal favorites, which I'm sure hasn't been covered.

This is purely a hypothetical scenario, but with the possibility of players with the jobs/weapon skills to have some options to consider.

Situation: You are a DD job that has every single red and blue !! proc weaponskill for Abyssea NMs. You are in a group/linkshell/static of friends and your primary purpose is to discern the correct WS for each proc, then get the !! to trigger. Then you are free to tank/kill/brew to get the job done.

Some NMs tend to be a bit squishy, even some of the caturae can be a bit on the tender side, and if you want all three !! on a mob, you may be in a situation where you have to cast tier 5 spells on a nm that has less than 10% health. Its happened with my social and we are not a group to go "all out" from the start like 80% of the pick up groups out there (yes still it happens).

So, heres my question. Do you say "To hell with it" and you use the best DMG/DPS/whatever weapon that you would use in all other situations, or do you pick "weaker" weapons for the job. Or weapons with hidden or latent effects, maybe a Occ Att 2-3 weapon?

Just really curious to see which weapons people would choose if they had every single blue and red weaponskill on a single character/job. What say you? ^^
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-26 06:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

There is never a situation where you have to cast a T5 spell on a mob.

Usually just use normal weapons and only let the tanks tp on the mob. Anything so squishy that you might kill anyways like that isn't really worth proccing all 3 on anyways.
 Lakshmi.Razius
By Lakshmi.Razius 2011-02-26 06:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Meant T4 sorry. But aye I do agree, for the sake of space etc, and its not hard to get TP in abyysea, be it atmas or (shock!) sub Samurai (do you remember how thats done everyone? :P).

I was just really curious if people had a favorite one per type, like Accuracy +, or low damage. I know of some people that have alot of magian weapons specifically created for this task, not personally, only via the forums/pictures on FFXIAH.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-26 06:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah before as many regain atmas would tp on nearby mobs... that kinda didn't go well once when we tpd on rams while fighting the behemoth. Gogo max hp down followed by that long range thunder move lol.

As a mage I'll often cast debuffs to figure out the elment and such. As a blu I'll just cast debuffs while regaining run in do seraph blade since light is one of the biggest possibilities might as well narrow it down. Then unengage and try grellow procing while regaining some more.
[+]
By Ashaaman 2011-02-26 06:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Yeah before as many regain atmas would tp on nearby mobs... that kinda didn't go well once when we tpd on rams while fighting the behemoth. Gogo max hp down followed by that long range thunder move lol

That would be slightly entertaining to watch though..

Edit: To contribute to the topic, I like +acc and multi-hit weapons. Though I have my own pocket WHM so I can tp on mobs around and not worry about stressing the tank's whm.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-26 06:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashaaman said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Yeah before as many regain atmas would tp on nearby mobs... that kinda didn't go well once when we tpd on rams while fighting the behemoth. Gogo max hp down followed by that long range thunder move lol
That would be slightly entertaining to watch though..
It would have been had I not been the only survivor... the funniest part about that is I was on blm without hp buff with my sorc ring... so I litterally had 1-3.5k less hp than EVERYONE else.

So when max hp down hit I was like hmmm why is my hp white!?! /cast spell ah there that's better now it's... wait red... why am I at 1 hp... thunderbolt... hey why is everyone dead... oh ***it's coming after me runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
 Alexander.Francisco
Server: Alexander
user: Francisco
By Alexander.Francisco 2011-02-27 01:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

When trying to find a H2H weakness, I just barefist it. If I equip my weapon, it tends to die too fast.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-02-27 02:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Razius said:
This may have been answered elsewhere, but I'm curious to know peoples actual reconmendations and personal favorites, which I'm sure hasn't been covered.

This is purely a hypothetical scenario, but with the possibility of players with the jobs/weapon skills to have some options to consider.

Situation: You are a DD job that has every single red and blue !! proc weaponskill for Abyssea NMs. You are in a group/linkshell/static of friends and your primary purpose is to discern the correct WS for each proc, then get the !! to trigger. Then you are free to tank/kill/brew to get the job done.

Some NMs tend to be a bit squishy, even some of the caturae can be a bit on the tender side, and if you want all three !! on a mob, you may be in a situation where you have to cast tier 5 spells on a nm that has less than 10% health. Its happened with my social and we are not a group to go "all out" from the start like 80% of the pick up groups out there (yes still it happens).

So, heres my question. Do you say "To hell with it" and you use the best DMG/DPS/whatever weapon that you would use in all other situations, or do you pick "weaker" weapons for the job. Or weapons with hidden or latent effects, maybe a Occ Att 2-3 weapon?

Just really curious to see which weapons people would choose if they had every single blue and red weaponskill on a single character/job. What say you? ^^

For weaker NMs, you want to discover and trigger the !! quickly while doing as little damage as possible (to avoid killing the target before you get the !!). Backwards tanking with Regain Atma or Meditate is the best option in my opinion. DRK using Absorb-TP is another option.
Other than that, I would definitely avoid using a high-damage melee weapon until you trigger the !! .

For stronger NMs, toss all that advice out the window and use your "best" weapon. However, I'd still avoid the "OAT" type weapons, simply because feeding TP rapidly to these most-difficult NMs is asking for trouble.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-27 02:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

tp feeding will also increase the likelyhood of it tping right when you are ws... very annoying
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-02-27 02:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
tp feeding will also increase the likelyhood of it tping right when you are ws... very annoying

Excellent point.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-27 06:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
For stronger NMs, toss all that advice out the window and use your "best" weapon. However, I'd still avoid the "OAT" type weapons, simply because feeding TP rapidly to these most-difficult NMs is asking for trouble.

Really depends on your job. If you're nin for example, gnarled horn, cruor buffs, subtle blow merits. You're going to be hitting both the subtle blow cap and the agi/tp correlation cap, which makes it a pretty affordable move.

Works the same for mnk (though more so for blue than red cause lolmnk proccing red. I use Multi hit ursine claws in combination with footwork (which also gives much less tp to the mob per tp received to begin with as compared to regulation punching) when going for blue h2h.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-27 07:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Just use your best weapons, but if it's a squishy NM tp on something else, backwards tank, and ws only. Chances are if it's so squishy that you really need to do all that, then it's not gonna matter that much if you don't hit all three triggers anyway.

Massive deja vu, swear I've said this before.
 Lakshmi.Razius
By Lakshmi.Razius 2011-02-27 07:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Well heres a couple of my choices, for this scenario, and these weapons probably fall into "amoungst the best I got" catagory and would use these as "regular" weapons in everyday situations (main or offhand as needed). And a stated reason (as if it wasn't obvious) per weapon.

Sword: Joyeuse- Low damage with good tp gain.

Dagger: Blau- High Damage for a dagger and latent accuracy and attack.

Club: Octave- Low Damage and its someting I own. As DRK zerging is a bit of a thing of the past now at least I get to use it. With Regain and TPing off other mobs (8 hits or no) it isn't too hard to build to 100tp.

So yes, in general, I agree with everyones comments here. Use what you would usually use on your job for that weapon type. If it has some kind of bonus, be it Acc, Subtle Blow, low delay/damage etc, then all the better.