Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » I know this has been asked - Steam FFXI
I know this has been asked - Steam FFXI
By Deist 2011-02-25 21:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I checked a few thread in the past - I wanted to get a sure answer but there was none to my knowledge.

My question is: Is it possible to get the Steam PlayOnline registration codes + Content codes through steam - and use them on another platform... say Xbox 360?

I have access to the disks - but the codes are used. So I was curious if there is a possible way to get the codes for both, so I can use on my xbox
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-02-25 21:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I think so. Back when WoG came out there was a shortage of PC disks. So I got the 360 version, torrented the PC version and the CD key still worked.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2011-02-25 21:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Deist said:
I checked a few thread in the past - I wanted to get a sure answer but there was none to my knowledge.

My question is: Is it possible to get the Steam PlayOnline registration codes + Content codes through steam - and use them on another platform... say Xbox 360?

I have access to the disks - but the codes are used. So I was curious if there is a possible way to get the codes for both, so I can use on my xbox

Yes, you can. After purchasing the game from Steam, start the download of FFXI and immediately pause it. Go back to your games library and right click on FFXI, and then "View CD Key." You'll get 1 registration code that works for everything.

One thing to be cautious of is starting the FFXI download on a PC that already has FFXI installed. You may want to do it on a PC without FFXI. After you pause the download, the only way to stop it forever is to right click FFXI in the game library and delete the game files. If your PC has FFXI on it already, Steam will remove the entire FFXI registry and POL will not load at all. I made this mistake and had to get my friend to send me his registry.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-25 21:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The registration codes are linked to your account, and not to a particular platform. The only thing platform-dependent is the installation of the game itself, so All Registration codes are cross-platform.
 Fairy.Deist
Server: Fairy
user: Deist
By Fairy.Deist 2011-02-25 21:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:
Deist said:

Yes, you can. After purchasing the game from Steam, start the download of FFXI and immediately pause it. Go back to your games library and right click on FFXI, and then "View CD Key." You'll get 1 registration code that works for everything.

One thing to be cautious of is starting the FFXI download on a PC that already has FFXI installed. You may want to do it on a PC without FFXI. After you pause the download, the only way to stop it forever is to right click FFXI in the game library and delete the game files. If your PC has FFXI on it already, Steam will remove the entire FFXI registry and POL will not load at all. I made this mistake and had to get my friend to send me his registry.

I see, if that's the only way to do it - then I may be unable to get the keys this way because I use a Mac?
 Fairy.Deist
By Fairy.Deist 2011-02-25 21:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
The registration codes are linked to your account, and not to a particular platform. The only thing platform-dependent is the installation of the game itself, so All Registration codes are cross-platform.

Yes, thats what I read - but I also read that I could only get them through the steam Icon on my computer. But if I can only get them through the game itself - that would be my problem, since I am on a Mac. And Mac's cannot run FFXI without Boot camp.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2011-02-25 21:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Deist said:
I see, if that's the only way to do it - then I may be unable to get the keys this way because I use a Mac?

As far as I know Steam is Mac friendly. I remember they had a bunch of really good sales last year because they had just become Mac compatible.

Fairy.Deist said:
Yes, thats what I read - but I also read that I could only get them through the steam Icon on my computer. But if I can only get them through the game itself - that would be my problem, since I am on a Mac. And Mac's cannot run FFXI without Boot camp.

The download doesn't need to complete, it only has to be started. The code comes directly from Steam, so you can get it on any computer.
 Fairy.Deist
By Fairy.Deist 2011-02-25 22:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.