Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Parrying and Guard update
Parrying and Guard update
By Threedaysgrace52 2011-02-24 18:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

What are some of your ideas to make the parrying and guard update worthwhile? I just sure hope that these skills proc more often. There's zero point in making these skills easier to skill up if proc rate is very minimal. I just want to make these skills worthwhile for the time investment.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-02-24 19:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Parry works just fine, most people just don't realize that before parry goes off, the hit has to have otherwise connected first, so evasion being high will make your parry seem low, but on the times that you parry just know that is one more hit you did not take because eva failed, or one more shadow spared.

Cannot comment about guard though, just wish they would skillup faster, still hardly seeing skillups with parry even after the update.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-24 19:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Guarding is all but worthless. In order for it to proc, you need to fail your evasion check, your shadow check, and your counter check, and then pass your Guard check. If all that happens, you still take damage.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-02-24 19:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to clarify a little more about parry, it really shines on a mob that has insanely high rate of accuracy. One recent example being the behemoth for the WoTG sandy quest, duo-ed it just the other day and almost every swing would wipe my shadows, with full evasion and yonin up.

In a case like that, I have no doubt that having capped parry would have helped negate damage more than my current 250 skill.
 Lakshmi.Odude
Server: Lakshmi
user: tdh004
By Lakshmi.Odude 2011-02-24 19:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with pretty low Guard (Lv.150~ish) and O.K. Parry skill (Lv.255) I've always seen quite a few procs. I just don't get any skill ups!

Obviously if the skill was higher, I'd likely see many more procs, but it still proc'd at a pretty decent rate.

Since the update I've seen a ton of weapon skill ups, but very few Guard/Parry skills.
 Lakshmi.Ciaranjgw
Server: Lakshmi
user: ciaranjgw
By Lakshmi.Ciaranjgw 2011-02-24 20:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

@Draugo: That fight is fun! :D I soloed as RDM/BLU at 80 I believe. :<