Is DMG More Important Than Str On A Weapon?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is DMG more important than str on a weapon?
Is DMG more important than str on a weapon?
 Phoenix.Valefar
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: bbane
By Phoenix.Valefar 2011-02-19 10:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a few augmented axes from the A-grauberg NPC, and I was just wondering if a doom taber with DMG+4, str+ 5, resist slow+4 is better than a doom taber with DMG+6 and resist slow+4?
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-19 10:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Go with the higher dmg one
 Quetzalcoatl.Seaofheather
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Seaofheather 2011-02-19 10:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd personally go with the higher str one as it would have better mods for your wses
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-19 10:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Seaofheather said:
I'd personally go with the higher str one as it would have better mods for your wses
Weapon skill mods only add to base dmg on ws. I'm guessing he is using rampage which is a 30% str mod. So 5 str would only add 1-2 to base dmg on ws more often rounding down to 1. Clearly 2 dmg on weapon is better
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-02-19 10:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I would go with dmg, you can make up with lost str on a weapon, but its impossible to make up for lost dmg on a weapon
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-19 11:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

With very rare exceptions (Particularly with High mod weapon skills or High damage weapons like Scythes and Greataxes) always favor the Damage rating, especially if the damage rating bumps your weapon rank up, increasing the bonus (and penalty if you severely lack STR, but who does?) to fSTR.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-02-19 11:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Is DMG more important than str on a weapon?

Yes.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-02-19 11:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2011-02-19 12:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a similar problem when deciding between Cerastes +2 and Langdebeve +2 with STR9 Attack24. I'm still working on Nyzul for Drakesbane, so I'm not too sure which will perform better. I have a feeling the stats and slightly lower delay on Langdebeve +2 might come out on top.
 Gilgamesh.Sanctferum
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Sanctferum 2011-02-19 20:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got a similar question. What's more important: DMG or ATK? I've decided to level up my MNK, and I have to choose between either Legionnaire's Knuckles or Metal Knuckles. I read a guide on FFXIclopedia that suggests Metal Knuckles +1, but I don't have those.

Legionnaire's Knuckles have 4 DMG and 3 ATK; Metal has 6 DMG and no ATK. Which one should I choose?
 Asura.Olue
Server: Asura
user: Olue
By Asura.Olue 2011-02-19 20:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Sanctferum said:
I've got a similar question. What's more important: DMG or ATK? I've decided to level up my MNK, and I have to choose between either Legionnaire's Knuckles or Metal Knuckles. I read a guide on FFXIclopedia that suggests Metal Knuckles +1, but I don't have those.

Legionnaire's Knuckles have 4 DMG and 3 ATK; Metal has 6 DMG and no ATK. Which one should I choose?

I would definitely choose DMG over Attack. Your damage is determined by multiplying your total DMG (DMG from weapon, fstr and h2h skill) by a ratio of your attack to the mob's defense. Increasing your total DMG directly is always more important than trying to affect the attack-defense ratio.

See more:
Damage formula
By Cloudstriker 2011-02-19 21:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:
I have a similar problem when deciding between Cerastes +2 and Langdebeve +2 with STR9 Attack24. I'm still working on Nyzul for Drakesbane, so I'm not too sure which will perform better. I have a feeling the stats and slightly lower delay on Langdebeve +2 might come out on top.

Are you saying CT doesn't even out preform Penta?
 Asura.Buddhsie
Server: Asura
user: Buddhsie
By Asura.Buddhsie 2011-02-19 21:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:

The delay on the elemental path polearms screws with your x hit, you'd want a 492 delay weapon to begin with. Also when you get drakesbane you can close light with it with Camlann's.. so its no comparison really. Use the Cerastes.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-02-19 21:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Olue said:
I would definitely choose DMG over Attack. Your damage is determined by multiplying your total DMG (DMG from weapon, fstr and h2h skill) by a ratio of your attack to the mob's defense. Increasing your total DMG directly is always more important than trying to affect the attack-defense ratio.

See more:
Damage formula

Not always

It depends on the D beforehand. Higher D means less benefit from adding more D relatively speaking, whereas Attack gains remain relatively static.