Forum » FFXI » General » 360 Ultimate Collection DISK WONT READ
360 Ultimate Collection DISK WONT READ
 Shiva.Evkim
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Evkim
By Shiva.Evkim 2011-02-14 02:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone on the forums recently purchase the ffxi Ultimate collection? i just had it shipped to my house and right as i tried to play... it repeatedly says the disc is unrecognizable.. and when i pop in any other game.. even my old ffxi disc they read perfectly fine.. anyone have any info on whats going on? i managed to pop in my old ffxi disc and use the registration code from ultimate collection but for some reason the other expantions didnt download so im kinda stuck .. any info would be greatly appreciated ( and yes i tried cleaning the disc even though it was brand new)
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-02-14 02:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's what I do. I know it sounds stupid, but it actually works.

You will need the following:

MP3 player with at least one song. A playlist would be better. Get your tunes on, yo!

USB plug for your MP3 player.

The game disc.

And now the instructions.

1) Turn on Xbox.
2) Plug in MP3 player
3) Hit the center menu button on your controller
4) Slide over to media center
5) Play a song (any will do, but you get extra points if it's BLS, Pantera or Mastodon)
6) Start up your game

If you have the same problem I do, then that should fix it. It might have an issue with starting the music on the POL open screen, so that should do the trick, if such is the case.

Anything beyond that... Yeah, I dunno.

Edit: Counting issues. I should watch an episode of Sesame Street.
[+]
 Shiva.Evkim
By Shiva.Evkim 2011-02-14 02:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

>_>
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-02-14 02:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Get the disc resurfaced.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-02-14 02:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, I'm not joshing you. It's real!

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/84550-Xbox-360-Can-t-read-FFXI-disk-Solution-here.
[+]
 Shiva.Evkim
By Shiva.Evkim 2011-02-14 02:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

***should work out of the box :(
 Asura.Lanryu
Server: Asura
user: Lanryu
By Asura.Lanryu 2011-02-14 03:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This happens when you shut down the viewer the wrong way.. IE hitting the xbox button and turning the system off without fully shutting FFXI down and going back to the dashboard. I do the exact same thing that Magnus posted and it does work.

Edit: I do believe you have to erase the old FFXI info for the Ultimate collection to work on the xbox.
 Gilgamesh.Demasas
Server: Gilgamesh
user: dem2010
By Gilgamesh.Demasas 2011-02-14 03:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said:
Here's what I do. I know it sounds stupid, but it actually works. You will need the following: MP3 player with at least one song. A playlist would be better. Get your tunes on, yo! USB plug for your MP3 player. The game disc. And now the instructions. 1) Turn on Xbox. 2) Plug in MP3 player 3) Hit the center menu button on your controller 4) Slide over to media center 5) Play a song (any will do, but you get extra points if it's BLS, Pantera or Mastodon) 6) Start up your game If you have the same problem I do, then that should fix it. It might have an issue with starting the music on the POL open screen, so that should do the trick, if such is the case. Anything beyond that... Yeah, I dunno. Edit: Counting issues. I should watch an episode of Sesame Street.

i use this everytime it happens to me, great little trick. also works with a usb with a couple of music files on as well
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2011-02-14 11:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The error message is a bit cryptic, but it's not the XBOX having problems to read the disc. It's having problems with the huge files on the HDD where FFXI updates are installed to. And indeed as others mentioned, the files get corrupted when you leave the game using the guide button menu and choosing to return to the dashboard.

When you do that, the FFXI update files are left on a incorrect state which make them appear to be corrupted next time you try to start the game.

To fix it you have no choice but delete all FFXI updates and download them again.

To do that, go to memory management screen, select your hard drive and then choose "Clear Cache". It will then clear all game updates you have downloaded from XBOX live, including the FFXI install data.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-14 11:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said:
The error message is a bit cryptic, but it's not the XBOX having problems to read the disc. It's having problems with the huge files on the HDD where FFXI updates are installed to. And indeed as others mentioned, the files get corrupted when you leave the game using the guide button menu and choosing to return to the dashboard.

When you do that, the FFXI update files are left on a incorrect state which make them appear to be corrupted next time you try to start the game.

To fix it you have no choice but delete all FFXI updates and download them again.

To do that, go to memory management screen, select your hard drive and then choose "Clear Cache". It will then clear all game updates you have downloaded from XBOX live, including the FFXI install data.

clearing the cache doesn't wipe out the updates for xi, just so you know
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-02-14 11:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know if you have tried this, but when I was having the problem, I just saved the game to the hard drive first. Then play the game from there.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-14 12:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Pawnskipper said:
I dont know if you have tried this, but when I was having the problem, I just saved the game to the hard drive first. Then play the game from there.

I've done both, the xbox is like a fragile piece of glass

clearing the cache did fix the issue for me when it came down to it, but I didn't have to do anything else.
 Cerberus.Fahzewn
Server: Cerberus
user: Fahzewn
By Cerberus.Fahzewn 2011-02-14 12:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My Girlfriend had the same problem for awhile. Basically it would read it sometimes...and other times it took forever. Almost like you had to let the Xbox warm-up before even attempting to put the disc in. Can't say if she has the same problem anymore since she rarely plays any other game but FFXI on the Xbox, so the disc is always in the tray. Though we never see the message anymore. Took a few months for that...

Regarding the music trick, burning a song from CD to your harddrive will work as well. But as far as I know, this trick works if the game is shutdown the improper way (freezing, simply turning off the Xbox while Playonline is still running). Before, being able to install the Playonline disc solved this issue. Naturally, they removed the option to do so...
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2011-02-14 12:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

It would not until some point in 2009 because if you change the console, you can't boot the disc to delete/uninstall the game. They added the FFXI files to the deletion list of the clear cache command so people would have an method to recover those 12GB if the original system which installed the files were not usable to boot the disc and reach the uninstall menu option.

The major problem here is that the update files are marked as CONSOLE generated contents and these contents tend to be locked down to the original console that generated them. POL folks could put some code on the disc to detect the problem and mention to the user that data deletion or repair would be necessary.

This whole issue was due to a lack of planning by part of SE programmers and the policies that MS enforces with data on the hard drive. Now they can't (or don't want to) fix the issue properly.
By Greatmagician 2011-02-14 12:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

u need to use that USB trick with the music. i have the ffxi ultimate collection as well and if my game happens to not shutdown correctly like the game freezing then i get the game is unreadable message next time i try to start it up. but when i play some music from a USB device and put the game in the game starts up normally.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-02-14 12:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I put a cd in the xbox and copied music to the hard drive. When my FF disc won't read, I just play the music from the hard drive then boot up the disc. Works every time.
 Asura.Killacalli
user: ndc1190
By Asura.Killacalli 2011-02-14 12:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah just take an old CD or a ipod i guess work's as well(Never tried Ipod) and play the song when starting the game should fix error ...but let me tell you can only listen to linkin park- crawling so many times before it makes my head hurt!!
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-14 20:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

It would not until some point in 2009 because if you change the console, you can't boot the disc to delete/uninstall the game. They added the FFXI files to the deletion list of the clear cache command so people would have an method to recover those 12GB if the original system which installed the files were not usable to boot the disc and reach the uninstall menu option.

The major problem here is that the update files are marked as CONSOLE generated contents and these contents tend to be locked down to the original console that generated them. POL folks could put some code on the disc to detect the problem and mention to the user that data deletion or repair would be necessary.

This whole issue was due to a lack of planning by part of SE programmers and the policies that MS enforces with data on the hard drive. Now they can't (or don't want to) fix the issue properly.

I did it in 2010, and it didn't touch my files.