users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Buying Pop Sets
Buying Pop Sets
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-02-13 21:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

A while ago I joined a seal party pick up group that my friend was forming. We were doing Amarok, a Cerb NM in Altepa. Now, at this time, pop sets were pretty expensive. Tiger King Hide's were about 180k alone, the other two items were roughly 20-30k. So the full pop set could sometimes come out to being 250k. Now, when we got there, only 3-4 (including me) actually had a pop set (out of a party of 6, which was abundantly more than is necessary for Amarok, I know, but my friend wanted to get KI too). The people who didn't bring one said it was too expensive to justify buying one. This irritated me. If you know the pop set is so expensive and aren't willing to purchase one, why join the group in the first place? Instead of getting 6 Amarok kills, we got half. Not to mention there were some people who had to share lots on a seal.

So my question to you all; how much are you willing to spend on pop sets for pick up groups and how do you feel about not everyone willing to buy a pop set?
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-13 21:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I have gil so I'm willing to spend whatever's necessary(bought a ton of Amarok pops for Orthrus).

If I was doing a pickup for god knows why, and people weren't willing to buy popitems, I'd boot them plain and simple(or I'd disband). It's not fair to the people who spent possibly a lot of money to have their items stolen by greedy/cheap ***.
[+]
 Asura.Perses
Server: Asura
user: Hiroshima
By Asura.Perses 2011-02-13 21:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, kind of a no-brainer. Smaller NM like Gnawtooth Gary where farming a pop item is cake wouldn't be a problem. But if you join a shout for Amarok you better bring a pop set. Unless they wanted seals that nobody else wanted AND you needed them for triggers.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-13 22:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand why people pay so much money for pop sets. Things like Amarok I can kind of understand, where two of the pops are from an NM, but I'd never pay that much, especially not with how often the hide drops from gold chests, you don't even have to kill the tiger.

But pop items that drop from regular mobs is just crazy to me. Why are you paying 20k+ for something you can farm in a few minutes, from mobs around where you're going anyway. It's not like it's a CoP quest and you have to farm pso'xja for hours and then take the pop items to purgonorgo isle or some ***.

As such, I wouldn't join a shout for things like Amarok, I'd low-man it or get my seals from another NM/quest. Orthrus's best drop is 100%, so each person should only ever need to get one pop each for that in their entire abyssea career.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-13 22:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Or, you could kill the tiger NM too.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-13 22:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Of course, it's not hard to kill. My point though was that you don't even need to. Although, if you just spam farm tigers for a while, you'll get a few tiger NMs and might even get more hides from chest. ***, we had the tiger NM drop a gold chest with it's own hide in it one time.
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-02-13 23:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Trying to claim a highly camped 15min timed pop NM for a hide that can be bought in just a few seconds is pretty lazy. Of course, again, this is a pick up group situation. I really just wanna pop, proc, kill, repeat, then get out of there in 30-45 mins. In a LS or static group it would be beneficial to build up lights, farm TE/Pop items and kill the NM, especially if you are intending to kill it more than 4 times, which is the average seal party size.
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-02-13 23:31:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Alkalinejoe said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Trying to claim a highly camped 15min timed pop NM for a hide that can be bought in just a few seconds is pretty lazy. Of course, again, this is a pick up group situation. I really just wanna pop, proc, kill, repeat, then get out of there in 30-45 mins. In a LS or static group it would be beneficial to build up lights, farm TE/Pop items and kill the NM, especially if you are intending to kill it more than 4 times, which is the average seal party size.

idk last altepa party i had we had 7-10 king hides show up in gold chests and there still over 150k on fenrir, saved mine and bought other 2 cheap ones for my egls's next event
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-13 23:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Of course, it's not hard to kill. My point though was that you don't even need to. Although, if you just spam farm tigers for a while, you'll get a few tiger NMs and might even get more hides from chest. ***, we had the tiger NM drop a gold chest with it's own hide in it one time.

Didn't mean that as a reply to you, meant for OP :)

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-14 00:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Odin.Blazza said:
***, we had the tiger NM drop a gold chest with it's own hide in it one time.
"the monster seems to be hiding his 'treasure'" lol

Hah, that happened to me tonight.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-14 00:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:

Didn't mean that as a reply to you, meant for OP :)
Nah, I understood that, all good :)
 Valefor.Forgjr
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgjr 2011-02-14 00:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind buying (or farming) if that's what the group has going and we're all told up front. What urks me is the person that shouted up the members pulls a bait and switch. Like when everyone has to buy one except this one guy who dual boxes in a mage (and sucks at it) and we're farming them one for each character -.- while simultaneously telling everyone else they had to buy it. Or the jerks who reserve off your pops without even having their own, yet the body seal your after on your pop is "free lot" and the alliance owes them because they shouted. Woopdedo, you learned to use /sh. I don't owe you jack, I'll take my pop elsehwere.

When you've got something that's just doesn't drop much (usually the bigger game like mentioned in the OP) you should buy it unless you were told its a farming run to pop it later. On the reverse side, I've seen people be ridiculous about buying pops for piddly crap like weretrice. That pop item drops like rain, it doesn't cross my mind to keep warping back to jeuno..waste of time.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-14 01:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh I often buy pops before I head out to save abyssea time. Unless they are super expensive... unless of course farming them is lamer
 Cerberus.Robmelee
Server: Cerberus
user: Robmelee
By Cerberus.Robmelee 2011-02-14 01:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

For NMs like Amarok that requires a 150K+ pop set, Everyone should have there own pop set, in the interest of saving time. Its best to kill him in a Trusted environment (Amongst LS or long time friends).

For all other NMS that requires a cheap/easily farmed single pop item, It really doesn't matter. That's my two cents.
[+]
 Unicorn.Tessy
Server: Unicorn
user: Tessy
By Unicorn.Tessy 2011-02-14 02:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi,

I'll agree, if i was suppose to join a part of this kind you mention, then yes I'd make sure I have a pop set myself before joining.

But when it comes to buying the pop, well it depends really, I have never tryed either of the NM yet, but if it is an relativly easy game to obtain I'd farm the pops first, otherwise I might consider buying em at some point!

/Tessy
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-02-14 02:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Back when pop items were 1k or so, I had no problem buying them. It saved some farming time and this was also before I knew how to farm time. These days though, I'll just farm the pop. I can get time that way too, so it serves a double purpose.

I wouldn't join a group to pop NMs if they haven't gotten the pop items already personally. That's one thing I can never understand, like when I see shouts for VV and RR, and yet they don't have the KIs farmed up already. If I wanted to farm the KIs for it, I'd do that myself. :/
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-14 03:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
That's one thing I can never understand, like when I see shouts for VV and RR, and yet they don't have the KIs farmed up already. If I wanted to farm the KIs for it, I'd do that myself. :/
I don't mind that if they get a group together... it's when they expect me to come along and do all the farming with them and then claim all the drops or really claim any. Sorry we all farmed just as much as you
 Bismarck.Helixx
Server: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2011-02-14 03:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I did an Amorak run recently. Rules where: Your pop = your drop. Provider of the pop set was #1 to lot any item they wanted.

Same with KI's. If you need to farm KI, all is free, If person provides 1 or more KI, he can lock 1 item.
 Odin.Spccdog
user: spccdog
By Odin.Spccdog 2011-02-14 04:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

its easier and faster if you have the whole party bring pop sets and saves alot of time, i ask everyone to buy or bring pop sets to any nm groups i put together. Also i only put one person per seal and only take jobs that can low man ***.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Teleniel
Server: Asura
user: Teleniel
By Asura.Teleniel 2011-02-14 04:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Seals : 1 person each end of story farming pop items or not
Coin/Jewel/Card/Stone/E.weapon part : Person who's pop set it is (half or more of the set owned BEFORE farming) chooses 1 upgrade item the rest is freelot

If you don't buy your own popset you don't get ***from the first round of drops unless nobody else wants it. Kill all the sets that people have brought, then farm extra sets & time, repeat till you go home.