Another "Which Job Should I Level" Thread.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Another "Which job should i level" thread.
Another "Which job should i level" thread.
First Page 2 3
 Siren.Snowe
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Stewie
By Siren.Snowe 2011-02-10 17:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so my friend is coming back to ffxi tonight.
He only has SAM75, and left at the 75 cap.
Taking away the factors: Preference of job
Experience of job
And level of other jobs.
What would be the best option for a second job? I'm stumped lol. So many c.c
I suggested MNK,RDM,SCH, and DNC, but i wanted someone elses opinion..
I'm hoping for legitimate answers and useful jobs, but the world can't always be reasonable..

Have at it! :D
 Asura.Solara
Server: Asura
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-02-10 17:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

White Mage
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 17:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

thf nin mnk dnc for tanking

blm blu whm rdm for procs/dmg/support

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Snowe
Server: Siren
user: Stewie
By Siren.Snowe 2011-02-10 17:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:
White Mage

I'm leveling that :D

~Sneaky edit~

But my friend will be glad to read this thread as a sort of guide tho, not just me ^^
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 17:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK NIN WHM THF BLM

If one of you is MNK or NIN, and the other is WHM you can pretty much duo whatever the *** you want.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 17:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Also don't be suprised if whm goes back where it belongs when they stop doing abyssea stuff. Not to mention old school tanking. Ie minimizing tp given actually trying not to get hit instead of just soaking it up and taking a cure VI.

Welcome back rdm main healers and nin/drk tanks :)
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-02-10 17:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you're going to get "LEVEL MNK OR WHM THEY CAN DO ANYTHING" of course. And they're justified in saying that, if you're talking about Abyssea. MNK and WHM are very good jobs in that respect.

But I don't have any of those leveled so I can't speak for them myself. I personally love Dragoon, it actually can be pretty powerful if you gear it right. If you can help your friend out with gear and atmas, DRG is a fun job but is also useful.

WAR NIN and SAM can be good for proccing weaknesses on Abyssea mobs. SAM is pretty cool too, from my experience. He should first take that to level 90.

Believe it or not, if he's interested in having fun, I'd also say he should give Dancer a chance. There is a lot of opportunity for customization on DNC, depending on what you want to do with it. It's also good for soloing. If your friend is looking for practicality in party situations, though, there may be better options.

No matter what he picks, if he's dedicated to it enough, he'll be okay I would say. Even though jobs like DRK have been shafted lately, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're "useless".

That's just my two cents, now listen to the experts :)

Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-10 17:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nin or Mnk would be the most solid choices I think. Thf is great if you want TH with that (assuming you are going to be duoing a lot?).

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 17:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Nin or Mnk would be the most solid choices I think. Thf is great if you want TH with that (assuming you are going to be duoing a lot?).
I actually prefer thf to mnk tanks in sitaution where you aren't gunna get one shotted or close to it or obviously going for blue procs.

Well a competent thf
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 18:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Also don't be suprised if whm goes back where it belongs when they stop doing abyssea stuff. Not to mention old school tanking. Ie minimizing tp given actually trying not to get hit instead of just soaking it up and taking a cure VI.

A well geared WHM with tons of refresh gear is still going to do well, and DNC was a better healer than RDM lulz. Also it's DRK/NIN not NIN/DRK for big things.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-02-10 18:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

I'm betting rdm gets cure V at 92 and sch at 98. Having any mage99/rdm would have the same cures as a red mage? madness! Maybe even pld at 95 if SE is generous
What would the point in pld getting it be exactly? Not getting hate..even..faster?
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 18:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

I'm betting rdm gets cure V at 92 and sch at 98. Having any mage99/rdm would have the same cures as a red mage? madness! Maybe even pld at 95 if SE is generous
What would the point in pld getting it be exactly? Not getting hate..even..faster?

what's a PLD
 Bismarck.Helixx
Server: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2011-02-10 18:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

One of:
group 1: MNK NIN WAR

Group 2: WHM RDM BLM SCH SMN

Group 3: BRD COR RNG BLU THF DNC

[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2011-02-10 18:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:

Where in your opinion does WHM belong?

The only reason people used to prefer RDM main healers over a WHM is because of refresh. Even outside of abyssea WHM is a far better healer than RDM could ever hope to be.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-02-10 18:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Where in your opinion does WHM belong?

The only reason people used to prefer RDM main healers over a WHM is because of refresh. Even outside of abyssea WHM is a far better healer than RDM could ever hope to be.
In the kitchen makin me a sammich

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

what's a PLD

Idk some kind of cheese

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 18:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cure V ain't gonna cut it

/totally not biased.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 18:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helixx said:
One of:

I'd remove SMN from group 2 and/or move WHM to group 1.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 18:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Cure V ain't gonna cut it

/totally not biased.

WHM's not going to have the MP-pool to support VI spams outside of Abyssea unless it's getting Refresh II, Ballads, etc. So they're essentially limited to V as well.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 18:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bismarck.Helixx said:
One of:

I'd remove SMN from group 2 and/or move WHM to group 1.

nah, I get what he's saying it makes sense.. to me. If you don't have MNK NIN or WAR then level one of them. If you do, try a hand at group 2. He's not necessarily saying group 1 is more important or better jobs than group 2.. i think
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 18:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah keep telling yourself your whms don't need outside refresh or the ability to debuffs mobs well. We all know how well that worked out before...

And screw your drk/nin!!! I want my 5 shadow Ni and 4 shadows ichi not 3 and 3!!! Especially if we start fighting nms that attack fast/double attack that can't be slowed/elegied again
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-10 18:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Having one from each of the three groups (tank/DD, mage, utility) gives you a well-rounded set of jobs to choose from, which I think was the idea there.

Though I'd consider dropping COR and RNG from the list altogether :\
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 18:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Also don't be suprised if whm goes back where it belongs when they stop doing abyssea stuff. Not to mention old school tanking. Ie minimizing tp given actually trying not to get hit instead of just soaking it up and taking a cure VI. Welcome back rdm main healers and nin/drk tanks :)
Hey if you aren't throwing everyone on a mob and are mimizing tp gain pld was a decent tank. It's we throw tons of DDs with uber buffs on mobs now. But it will much harder to support such things without abyssea buffs.

Ochain pld ftw!
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 18:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Yeah keep telling yourself your whms don't need outside refresh or the ability to debuffs mobs well. We all know how well that worked out before...

And screw your drk/nin!!! I want my 5 shadow Ni and 4 shadows ichi not 3 and 3!!! Especially if we start fighting nms that attack fast/double attack that can't be slowed/elegied again

A WHM that doesn't suck isn't going to be *** over, but it might not be a bandwagon job. WHM can debuff mobs just fine :/

DRK/NIN has more hate tools for disengaged tanking. I guess it depends on what the endgame mobs are like.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-10 18:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What does minimizing TP gain have to do with anything? PLD is going to feed way more TP than a MNK or NIN and take more damage as a result (barring Ochain... lol) even without considering MNK and NIN's superior defensive abilities.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 18:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Having one from each of the three groups (tank/DD, mage, utility) gives you a well-rounded set of jobs to choose from, which I think was the idea there.

Though I'd consider dropping COR and RNG from the list altogether :\

I SUPPOSE. I can see SE making COR more useful in the future (POSSIBLY NOT THOUGH)... RNG should probably be removed though.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-10 18:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If WHM became unplayable, I would just quit playing this game.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-02-10 18:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
If WHM became unplayable, I would just quit playing this game.

:( DNC became useless and I still play. MAN UP.
First Page 2 3