Should Prisoners Be Given The Right To Vote?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Should prisoners be given the right to vote?
Should prisoners be given the right to vote?
First Page 2 3
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-02-10 06:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, give them a right to vote. It's not like it's going to change anything anyways.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-10 06:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

no.
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-10 06:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Nor should people under 21, women or people who were not born into the nationality of the country in question.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-02-10 06:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not really against it, but when you go to jail you lose your right to come and go as you please, you lose your right to eat when you want, sleep when you want, I don't see why voting should be made an exception.

Also, what Kalyna said.
[+]
 Cerberus.Liandaru
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-02-10 06:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. Prisoners should have no rights whatsoever. They get free cable, medical care, education. Lock them in their cells and leave them there.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-02-10 07:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends what the offense is....
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-02-10 07:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think they should be able to. I don't really think they should have any rights. (This varies on what the crime is/and how long they will be in prison or jail for.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-02-10 07:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say it depends on the offense that they did.

I really wouldn't have a problem with it though, seeing as prisoners (albeit they did something wrong) are still people, and they should have a choice on who to elect to *** things up more run the country.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-10 07:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, I think they should. Yes they lose a lot of rights by being in prison, but the rights they lose are determined by the crimes they committed while they were free. Up until that time, they were allowed to vote, which effects things like the treatment of prisoners. What if a presidential candidate is saying that if he gets into office, he's going to make the punishment for all crimes death, including the ones already committed.

All those people in prison don't get to vote, the guy gets into office, everyone dies.

Extreme example I know, but in this day and age I think it's a very basic human right. (Even if I do choose to forgo it myself).
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-02-10 07:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they should. I'm mean, if we allow crooks into office anyway; why not let the criminals vote too. And like Kalyna said: "It's not like it's going to change anything anyways."
[+]
 Alexander.Varistor
Server: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2011-02-10 07:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

no
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-02-10 07:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If the prison system (at least in the US) worked as it is intended to, I would think that the right to vote could be restored to prisoners. Maybe it would be suspended, but something that you kind of earn back. Like, you're sentence was 10 years for whateverthefuckcrime, and in five years, you can vote again.

Unfortunately, while there are a whole lot of good endings and positive results to people going to prison; there are tons and tons and tons of cases where there person comes out "worse" than when they went in. That being the case, and that I don't already mind felons not have the right to vote, makes me say, "no."

But we're talking about voting. One voice, out of millions. That hopefully chooses the lesser of two shitty options, who will, most likely, end up being ineffective and gradually become more wasteful, detached from their contingency, and more in the pocket to their donors every year. And even if one candidate defies the odds, and truly seeks to do good, and listens to every option, and learns, and really has the best interests of the people in mind - that person is still just on voice out of hundreds.

No. Really, I think we should be talking more about putting politicians in prison, than letting prisoners participate in the political process.
By Ooolala 2011-02-21 17:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

1. When you violated the law you forfeit the right to vote. If you care that much about voting, don't break the law.

2. The popular vote in America is just there to make you feel good and let you think you have a hand in choosing the President. While the Electoral college often goes with the popular vote, in most states they are not required too.

3. Would you really want a felon voting for any type of politician? You can already see that they are error prone.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 18:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said:
If the prison system (at least in the US) worked as it is intended to, I would think that the right to vote could be restored to prisoners. Maybe it would be suspended, but something that you kind of earn back. Like, you're sentence was 10 years for whateverthefuckcrime, and in five years, you can vote again.

Unfortunately, while there are a whole lot of good endings and positive results to people going to prison; there are tons and tons and tons of cases where there person comes out "worse" than when they went in. That being the case, and that I don't already mind felons not have the right to vote, makes me say, "no."

But we're talking about voting. One voice, out of millions. That hopefully chooses the lesser of two shitty options, who will, most likely, end up being ineffective and gradually become more wasteful, detached from their contingency, and more in the pocket to their donors every year. And even if one candidate defies the odds, and truly seeks to do good, and listens to every option, and learns, and really has the best interests of the people in mind - that person is still just on voice out of hundreds.

No. Really, I think we should be talking more about putting politicians in prison, than letting prisoners participate in the political process.
Def. Agree with the bolded.
Who knows how long it'd take for prisoners to just be tools of the political machine if that would happen?
Not that I'd know...people HATE giving rights to people they've deemed undeserving in America, especially in the South.
But they still have Confederate celebrations and ***like that so who'da thunkit.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-21 18:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol @ the people who think prisoners shouldn't vote but then want to give me ***when I don't want to.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 18:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Lol @ the people who think prisoners shouldn't vote but then want to give me ***when I don't want to.
Your opinion only matters when it is in agree-ance!
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2011-02-21 18:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

In a perfect world... no, but this world is pretty screwed up so won't make a difference
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-21 18:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If anything less people should be allowed to vote. Only those who are well educated and understand politics and the economy should be allowed. Letting the masses of ignorant fools into the polls is what allows bad representatives to be elected.
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-02-21 18:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Prison is where people who have broken the rules of society go to be re-educated before being released. You could also say its a punishment and that while they're in prison they are cut off from society. I don't think that people who are being re-educated/punished should have access to the society that is punishing them.

So, no. I think that after they're released back into society they should automatically re-obtain the right to vote, but while in prison they should not be given that right.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 18:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
If anything less people should be allowed to vote. Only those who are well educated and understand politics and the economy should be allowed. Letting the masses of ignorant fools into the polls is what allows bad representatives to be elected.
We should start with all the blacks(except for the rich ones that act like white people, Cosby made those types real Americans) and foreigners right?
/sarcasm

in all seriousness, life is complicated.
things aren't ever as black and white as you may think, as you've been shown twice today lol.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-21 18:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
We should start with all the blacks(except for the rich ones that act like white people, Cosby made those types real Americans) and foreigners right?
/sarcasm

3/5
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 18:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
/sarcasm

3/5
3/5 for what?
why 5?
i like 1/10.
technically that's how they do it anyway with their arresting of black people ways.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-21 18:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Only right prisoners have is to take involuntary sausage up the shitpipe, Break less laws thx.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 18:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd honestly say situational is situational.
If dude ain't going anywhere for a while he shouldn't be able to vote due to voting being a public matter and prison being a place that keeps prisoners away from the public lol.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-21 18:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
/sarcasm

things aren't ever as black and white as you may think, as you've been shown twice today lol.
I don't understand how you made those race/class generalizations. Blacks, foreigners, and lower class individuals are all capable of receiving education on politics and the economy, whether it be from formal schooling or self-study.

and the fact remains that better choices would be more likely to be made if only more educated individuals were voting.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 18:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
/sarcasm

I don't understand how you made those race/class generalizations. Blacks, foreigners, and lower class individuals are all capable of receiving education on politics and the economy, whether it be from formal schooling or self-study.
capable isn't the same thing as "those who are well educated and understand politics and the economy"

i am capable of cutting off my own hand, but I do not for example.
so your argument in regards to the racial-factor is a bit of a non-point, and I know(hope) you have enough common sense to get what I am saying.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-21 18:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I'd honestly say situational is situational.
If dude ain't going anywhere for a while he shouldn't be able to vote due to voting being a public matter and prison being a place that keeps prisoners away from the public lol.

The image of the United States as a democracy is the biggest travesty ever. We're a competitive oligarchy that imposes consensus based on popularity, and as long as we're mired in this ***of a two-party system, there never will be a democracy.
First Page 2 3