Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 63 64 65 ... 22583 22584 22585
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Firefox?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what I use, though others on these forums swear by Google Chrome.
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Chrome as well No better IMO
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to be diehard IE only, until one of the updates *** everything up, I can't remember what anymore, but it *** something up that I used all the time (just for a comparison, think favorites no longer working) and it wouldn't let me revert to the older version, so I said *** that and got Firefox..

Haven't looked back since, shoulda done this sooner.
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ill have to give that a go, its just frustrating , it even redirects me from MSN I hate it , time consuming
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

When you say redirect what do you mean exactly?
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Use the search bar to locate a website, click on the website choice and redirects me to some generic search
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be lying if I said I completely understood what was going on, but I have a feeling that has to do with Malware, not browser choice. If you get the same thing happening with Chrome and Firefox, it's definitely has something to do with something on your computer, not the browsers themselves.
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Malwarebytes,MSE and Spyware doctor, I think it may have to do with remnants but not sure
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm.. Then I dunno.. Do you install those add-on tool bars? Or are your browsers completely stock?
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Straight stock no special toolbars or nothing
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-04 12:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yah it sounds like you have something hijacking your search results into another search engine (maybe one that's doing bad things to your computer.)

I use Firefox, and I opened MSIE 8 just to see what you were talking about. I typed "MSN" in the search bar, it pulled up Google as my default search tool, top link was MSN page...I clicked it and got to the MSN main page.

No redirects to another search tool at all.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That's odd.. I mean you already use multiple malware detections, I doubt adding another to the list would change it, I'm assuming none find anything, and if you don't have any of those toolbars installed that come packaged in other application installations, then I'm not really sure what to say.

I guess you could try out Firefox and see if the same thing happens, but I have a feeling it will.
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya I ran ALL my tools to clean up this morning re booted and tried it still redirected me, but...It does not do it all the time, I also Use Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose it's possible, but not likely, that either what you have on your computer isn't recognized as malware, or that it's just not in any of the definitions..
 Fenrir.Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-04 12:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kinjite said:
Straight stock no special toolbars or nothing

Yah you can end up with browser redirects simply through malware embedded in certain websites. If it really bothers you, you can check into HijackThis. I posted some details about it in another thread...

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/14130/cpu-usage/2/#849830

...basically it lets you examine if there are any strange URL redirects affecting your registry and start up applications (that wouldn't be detected by AV since they are embedded at the point the OS becomes active.)
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well....LOL that doesnt necessarily sound good at all,Ill try firefox anyways, I do infact update defs 3 x a week so if its in there i cant find it, I used regedit to look for generic definitions nothing found
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Something else I would look into is registry changes. You'd have to Google around on the specifics, but some Malware out there changes stuff in your registry that isn't repaired by removing the malware.
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I have seen Hijack this in my registry , maybe i need to use it?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-04 12:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never used Hijack this so you'll have to turn to Schutz or someone else on that one.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-04 12:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kinjite said:
My thought for the day..."How the hell do I get rid of these infernal Redirects on IE8?"
What redirects?
 Fenrir.Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-04 12:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah you can run it and check...just running it analyses your system and generates a report. I can help you read the report sections if you either PM it or /paste it here.

By itself, HJT won't change your system unless you tell it to do so, so just having it analyse what's going on won't hurt things at all.
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ones that take me to a generic search function NOT where I intended to go
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-04 12:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I used to be diehard IE only, until one of the updates *** everything up, I can't remember what anymore, but it *** something up that I used all the time (just for a comparison, think favorites no longer working) and it wouldn't let me revert to the older version, so I said *** that and got Firefox..
Can't remember if it was 5 or 6 but one of them sucked hard and they took forever to replace it. 7/8 run awesome. I hear good things about 9... but well see.
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks ya Ill give that a run, maybe Im just being pranoid I just dont like odd things comin up on my comp
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-04 12:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to work for me fellas, Thanks for all your input, Ill run HJT and post results Schutz maybe youll see something Im not familiar with
 Fenrir.Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-04 12:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah it's better to know anyhow. Even if it's nothing or can be 'worked-around' by using Firefox or Opera or something, it's still nice to know if you're clean.

The HJT report generates something like this...

Essentially you examine each of the "sections" (R1/R0/O1/O2/etc.) to see what is being run currently. I'll try to find that link to the system look up lists for reference.

I have to head out to work in a bit, but you can post here or send via PM. You should be able to eyeball any weird stuff also...but I'll check on it when I get back (if you don't figure it out prior!)

EDIT: Here's a tutorial on how to read the sections...

http://www.pchell.com/support/hijackthistutorial.shtml

That system look up site I linked to before seems to be down, but the German HJT support site can still help you analyse sections also...

http://www.hijackthis.de/

...can copy-paste a report there into that window to cross-reference their DB on registry items. It will highlight ones that are particularly questionable.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-03-04 20:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

One more week til Spring Break! Woo Hoo! One 6-8 page paper due Thursday, one 15-page minimum paper due Friday, one physics assignment, and a few lab reports and I am free for a week! I am SO gosh-darned excited!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 63 64 65 ... 22583 22584 22585