Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 20953 20954 20955 ... 22553 22554 22555
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-18 08:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like...

Healer: Throw on DoTs, make sure people don't die, raise those who do, esuna when needed, nuke when you can.

DPS: You need to time things perfectly from the time the instance loads, you need to have an opening rotation, and a post-opening rotation, if we have <insert job here> this rotation will need to change so <insert whatever> doesn't overlap and cancel each other out. If you don't time your button presses perfect, down to the millisecond, your DPS will dip and we will fail the DPS check. We're parsing so if you don't break 5k DPS, we're going to be laughing at you behind your back because DPS is literally the simplest thing you can possibly do in this game. Anyway, if you have to dodge, that's an unavoidable DPS loss because you are a caster, if you have to dodge and you aren't a caster, don't be a job that has an ability with an animation lock because you will die and that's a DPS loss. Also, don't forget that your LS, FC, and irl country's reputation depends on how much DPS your dealing...France. Lastly, if you don't have an internet connection that allows things to load six years before you ever click on them, this will all be more complicated, the usual internet connection is a DPS loss. Git gud, also we're replacing you with my DRG girlfriend.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-18 09:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just go SCH and let the fairy do all the work?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 10:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
It's like...

Healer: Throw on DoTs, make sure people don't die, raise those who do, esuna when needed, nuke when you can.

DPS: You need to time things perfectly from the time the instance loads, you need to have an opening rotation, and a post-opening rotation, if we have <insert job here> this rotation will need to change so <insert whatever> doesn't overlap and cancel each other out. If you don't time your button presses perfect, down to the millisecond, your DPS will dip and we will fail the DPS check. We're parsing so if you don't break 5k DPS, we're going to be laughing at you behind your back because DPS is literally the simplest thing you can possibly do in this game. Anyway, if you have to dodge, that's an unavoidable DPS loss because you are a caster, if you have to dodge and you aren't a caster, don't be a job that has an ability with an animation lock because you will die and that's a DPS loss. Also, don't forget that your LS, FC, and irl country's reputation depends on how much DPS your dealing...France. Lastly, if you don't have an internet connection that allows things to load six years before you ever click on them, this will all be more complicated, the usual internet connection is a DPS loss. Git gud, also we're replacing you with my DRG girlfriend.

I feel like this make DPS look way harder than it is.

Yes there's a lot of rotations and optimizations that can be made but in general DPS pretty much just need to follow very simple rules:

1) Can I hit the enemy? Yes? THEN DO IT
2) Does your next move have a positional? Get in position!
3) Is something off cooldown? Put that ***back on cooldown!
4) Is there a mechanic? Do it!

Openers obviously change how you look at #3 a bit but overall this is all a DPS should need to worry about in the general scheme of things. But in general if you're using an opener they're made to make it so the rest of your skills sync up down the line, so after an opener if you follow these rules you're pretty well set to at least be better than 50% of the DPS populace.

Everything past that is just trying to maximize and will vary heavily based on your group, but that's no different than every other role in the game. Unless you're trying to min-max, there's no reason to over complicate DPS that much.
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-08-18 12:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Stormblood made a couple of DPS jobs much easier, especially BLM.
Server: Ultros
user: chuuuuu
By Chu Chu 2017-08-18 12:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Need to practice rotations where they become something you don't have to think about.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-18 13:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Or just go SCH and let the fairy do all the work?
NO. That's a bad idea.

Also, I tend to feel like a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of any given DPS, no matter who it is. That's more or less what my post was about.

I, personally, work a bit differently, I take awhile to learn rotations. I get distracted and I *** up. It's part ADD, part living with loud and/or clingy people with TERRIBLE timing.

Healing is easier for me because I can contribute and not feel like I'm ruining the run because of stuff I can't fully control. I really am never happy nor satisfied with my DPS which is why I get burnt out. I obsess. Happened with MNK, happened with MCH, and it's only a matter of time before it happens with RDM.

It also doesn't take too much to discourage me, especially if I'm in one of my depressed episodes.
By Chu Chu 2017-08-18 13:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

That's my secret I'm always depressed.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 13:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Chu Chu said: »
Need to practice rotations where they become something you don't have to think about.
Muscle memory is key.

Also with the new resource bars for each class I feel like sound queues are even more important than they used to be, unless of course you really like staring down that ***.

But honestly if nothing else, getting your general rotation into muscle memory is so important. At that point you can focus more on watching timers/doing mechanics.
By Chu Chu 2017-08-18 13:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't have it all the way down. Feels like it's much harder when I click everything. But just need to practice
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-18 13:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been practicing this. Not having the ability to completely reset while training on a dummy makes practicing an opener annoying though. I suggested a function like Vril and Levitate that would reset everything when you were using a dummy but it was ignored and buried under pages of "Men should be able to wear dresses!" and "Where's my butt slider?" and "I hate the new PVP, you should remove this content because I don't like it!"
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 13:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Chu Chu said: »
That's my secret I'm always depressed.
This!

I also love min-maxing myself when it comes to DPS. Analyzing a fight and seeing how you should open and how you should modify cooldown usage to pump the most damage out is just so god damn wonderful.

Also, I tend to feel like a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of any given DPS
This will depend on the group but the only expectation I normally see from people is for DPS to do more damage than someone playing the same class doing nothing but spamming the same ability over and over.

I remember there being a "test" back during heavensward where a DRG equipped max ilvl stuff and spammed heavy thrust, nothing else, and was still able to get 1700+ DPS.

I think numbers like that are more than acceptable to expect.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-18 13:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You need 3.9k AT LEAST to beat the V1s dummy.

If I can't do that consistently, I'm not ready to run V1s or anything after it.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 13:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been practicing this. Not having the ability to completely reset while training on a dummy makes practicing an opener annoying though. I suggested a function like Vril and Levitate that would reset everything when you were using a dummy but it was ignored and buried under pages of "Men should be able to wear dresses!" and "Where's my butt slider?" and "I hate the new PVP, you should remove this content because I don't like it!"
It'd probably also be met with "Just go into Stone Sky Sea and use that dummy" since it resets each time you start.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-18 13:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

SSS is timed, you can't do it at your own pace.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 13:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You need 3.9k AT LEAST to beat the V1s dummy.

If I can't do that consistently, I'm not ready to run V1s or anything after it.
Not necessarily true.

SSS dummies can be a bit terrible for judging readiness due to their short duration, meaning you have to actually change your opener/priority to fit with the dummy time, and the randomness of procs for all jobs.

In reality? If you can hit ~3.5k consistently you're probably ready for O1S. The DPS requirements, at least for the first two fights, really aren't that high and it's far more about mechanic execution than anything.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-18 13:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I see a lot of people saying SSS dummies are overtuned or overly strict. Is that true?

I'd say, *** and all, I do 3.7k-3.8k consistently, going by the SSS DPS Calc.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 13:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I see a lot of people saying SSS dummies are overtuned or overly strict. Is that true?

I'd say, *** and all, I do 3.7k-3.8k consistently, going by the SSS DPS Calc.
I can't say for sure but they definitely seem that way.

It almost seems like they attempted to tune them in a way that somehow compensated for the lack of mechanics, but ended up overdoing it. I wouldn't be too surprised if this was their way of covering their *** from people saying "WELL I CAN KILL THE DUMMY WHY ISN'T MY DPS HIGH ENOUGH TO BEAT ENRAGE?!"

So it's more like... If you can kill the dummy, and the dummy is overkill, you can *** up a couple mechanics and still kill the actual thing.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-08-18 13:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
In reality? If you can hit ~3.5k consistently you're probably ready for O1S. The DPS requirements, at least for the first two fights, really aren't that high and it's far more about mechanic execution than anything.

This sounds about right, it doesn't require too high dps from your group
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 14:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Shiva.Spathaian said: »

This sounds about right, it doesn't require too high dps from your group
Think we had around 20k raid DPS on our clears, so assuming tanks are doing ~2k themselves and healers are doing at least a bit of dps (500ish?) I'd say 3.8kish spread evenly among the dps would be enough. And that would be including raid buffs/food.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-08-18 14:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Tanks and heals doing a bit more can also pick up some slack from the DPS who are newer to the fight as well
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-18 14:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I was told not to use food on SSS so that that I mentioned is without food.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-08-18 14:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Tanks and heals doing a bit more can also pick up some slack from the DPS who are newer to the fight as well
Some people really underestimate these numbers too.

I've pulled 2.9k DPS while MTing and healers can pull upwards of 1k if they actually know the fight.

That's nothing to scoff at!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-08-18 14:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Tanks doing 2.5-3k and healers doing 1-1.3kish can help a lot
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-08-18 14:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

SSS dummies are a bad representation of required performance in Savage. They're ridiculously overtuned for what they are. If you can get an SS dummy to 5-7% you're probably fine.

Just don't be the 3200DPS RDM in my group.
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2017-08-18 14:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk, try playing into stuff with more stress and get used to it?
I know this helps me when messing around in a class/job im not used to, and sort of makes you think on what to do next time certain situation happens, such as mechanics or personal *** and how to compensate for them.

"Misa! Doing large pull"
Dooo eeeet

"Oh we died. I do dis and dis next time"
Or "wooo that was fun. Agaaaain"
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-08-18 14:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Nadleeh Sakurai said: »
Idk, try playing into stuff with more stress and get used to it?
I know this helps me when messing around in a class/job im not used to, and sort of makes you think on what to do next time certain situation happens, such as mechanics or personal *** and how to compensate for them.

"Misa! Doing large pull"
Dooo eeeet

"Oh we died. I do dis and dis next time"
Or "wooo that was fun. Agaaaain"

That's how I trained my Dynamis linkshells.

"It's all coming. Don't worry, you guys can handle it."

*wipes*

"Okay. We learned. We'll handle it next time."

And they did!

Still proud of that ragtag group of yahoos. Almost 10 years later.

Wait. Wait what? *checks calendar*

Yep. ***. 9 years since that shell started.

Mother of god.

/streamofconciousness
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-08-18 14:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, the intricacies of Savage can never be taught by a training dummy. It's one thing to know your rotation and how to optimize your DPS with your available cooldowns, but it's another thing to optimize your rotation around a boss that demands movement, moves around itself, or has movement intensive mechanics that require you to switch things up. On WAR for example, have to learn when and where to place your Berserk rotations for maximum effectiveness or you're going to be caught out with 75 rage and an untargetable boss, or an add that you need to go pick up who FOR SOME *** REASON HITS HARDER THAN EXDEATH WHY IS THIS A THING HIS AUTOATTACKS ARE TANK BUSTERS CAN THEY NOT
[+]
By Chu Chu 2017-08-18 14:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

my friend parses everything and she said she can tell when I'm not comfortable in a fight because of my numbers. If i was comfortable in everything id be fine but yeah I'm uncomfortable everywhere!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-08-18 14:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we going to have a *** measuring parse measuring contest here?

If so....

*ziiiiiiiip*
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20953 20954 20955 ... 22553 22554 22555