How Should I Go About...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How should I go about...
How should I go about...
 Bismarck.Veruna
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 20:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright. I just recently re-activated my account and plan on getting the Abyssea series of add-ons. I have a couple jobs in mind that I would like to take up, however there is a small issue that is currently forcing me to stray away from doing that, and that would be the lack of gil.

Back when I quit/took a break from the game, I let one of my fellow Linkshell friends to use the account. Sort of knowing they would pillage and ransack everything I had on there after a while. Seeing that would make me not want to come back just for the fact that I didn't have anything left. However, to my dismay, I can not seem to stay away from the game. As I logged in yesterday, I found myself in Whitegate gear-less and cashless. I had planned on taking up possibly BLM or THF since those two are my favorite jobs to dink around on. I might not be able to do that though, considering how Thief is generally needing tools, food and I probably will need some gear besides the R/EX that I have for it. Black Mage being the same way, and the addition of new spell costs.

The jobs I currently have at 75 are: Thief, Black Mage, Bard and Summoner. So this is what I guess I trying to ask. Is there any way I could possibly farm up money to gear either THF or BLM up and would it be worth it? Or should I just try to find a couple instruments and take Bard up with the R/EX gear I have..

Any insight would be much appreciated.

tl;dr version: I have no cash, No non-r/ex equipment, should I try farming for THF/BLM gear or just level BRD.
 Fenrir.Momohko
Server: Fenrir
user: noriko
By Fenrir.Momohko 2011-02-05 20:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

afv3 doesnt cost gil ^^ also teal gear for mages and aurore and pearle stuff for the melee stuff if you play your job well and dont afk the shet like alot of slackers then you should do fine also if you have some friends left in the game a small group of you could go around getting some afv3 np at all also get atmas :3 wb to the game and sorry someone raped n pillaged ur char so badly :/
 Asura.Perrymason
Server: Asura
By Asura.Perrymason 2011-02-05 20:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can start getting some Cruor from abyssea, you can go into the scars zones, and get the teal, perle, and aurora sets and vendor them for 7-8k gil a piece and they only cost 4-5k cruor each, not to mention cruor is incredibly easy to come by. As a BLM, even if you lack gear, you will still probally get invited to partys since BLM's are one of the most wanted jobs in Abyssea exp partys.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-02-05 20:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You can easily make some starting cash by simply NPCing the armor you can purchase with cruor from the 1st 3 zones from Visions of Abyssea and the weapons you can purchase with Dominion Notes from heroes of Abyssea Dominion OPs, which are pretty much the Abyssean version of Fields of Valor and can be repeated as many times as you like in a day.

Thief doesn't need much effort to gear sufficiently, and most of the gear comes in forms of AF3 or R/EX drops anyways.

As for BLM, you'll be happy to hear that the new scrolls drop from golden chests as you exp so if you get lucky you can save some good money
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-02-05 20:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Try finding a low-man group that does Abyssea after getting THF BRD and BLM to 90 (appropriate spells acquired etc) and start thinking of what gear you need for each job, making item sets etc for the things you want to get.

Whenever you get the chance, take the option to do a Cruor Party so you can get cruor fairly quick, and use that cruor to NPC Abyssea gear so you can make some money to buy some of the minor things you need.

This game isn't as reliant on gil as it was, so having a low income isn't as terrible as it was. Good luck to you, and welcome back to the game!
[+]
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 21:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm able to enter these Abyssea areas right away at 75? At least I'm a little more relieved that BLM is a wanted job, I don't have any elemental staves or anything though. The last I checked it's pretty much full AF, AF2 body/legs/gloves, Zmitts and moldy earring. Couple other bonus pieces too like a Yigit body.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-02-05 21:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You can enter abyssea as low as lvl 30, that's how people are getting all their Maat caps lately

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 21:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Half of what you said is alien-speak to me. Blue procs? Yellow procs? I have not obtained the add-ons yet so I don't know much at all about the new things. haha
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 21:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I suggest getting Celerity and Sojourn abyssites ASAP. Furtherance and Merit where possible. Your next major concern would be getting atmas. In abyssea, your atmas will do 10x more for you than getting better gear. To use atmas you need Lunar Abyssites. You can buy one of these from the cruor NPC in Visions zones (the other 2 come from getting 1 and 7 zone boss kills). For Thf you will need Razed Ruins and Gnarled Horn primarily. Blm you will need Minikin Monstrosity and Beyond (probably some others too, but I'm no blm). As far as gear concerns go, I have no idea for Blm. For Thf, you can probably stick with most of your 75 gear until you get AF3. If you do Dominion Ops for exp (requires Heroes expansion) you can spend the points you earn on Yataghans, which are augmented daggers that will hold you over until you have access to twilight/triplus/magians.

The most important thing of all is to do your research. Look up pieces of gear, NMs, atmas, weakness procs, everything you can about abyssea, before you charge in headfirst and everyone calls you a retard.

edit: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Abyssea Read this
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 21:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is my current gear set-up that I was left with for both THF and BLM that I have to work with:

Black Mage:
AF1: full set
AF2: Body, Legs, Gloves
Selenian Cap (INT+4, M.Acc+2, M.Atk+2)
Z.Mitts
Moldy/Loquacious Earrings
Rostrum/Goliard Feet
Balrahn/Omega Ring
Yigit Body
Rairin/Hyorin Obi

Thief:
Sirocco Kukri/Swordbreaker
Turban/Denali Bonnet/O.hat
Breeze Gorget
Mirke Wardecors(dual wield and accuracy)
Brutal/Suppa
Jaeger Ring/Rajas
Bounding Boots/Denali Feet
Full AF1, Full AF2
Swift Belt

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-02-05 21:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Try and get Abyssea parties, build up cruor, buy teal for your blm if that's the best you can get, if you've completed ASA then you'll have access to Atma of Ambition (Refresh+5 Movement+25% Fast Cast+10%)

sit in port jeuno want wait for shouts for clearing zones, join one of them to get your first Lunar Abyssite, then I would suggest working on collecting Abyssite of Celerity, they're not to hard.

After that I would work on cashing in on something easy from Abyssea, Like Heed Ring(200k) NM is very easy to solo on any mage job by pulling it over to bastion rock and pinning it, have like a 40% chance of seeing heed ring drop then go about buying whatever you need for your jobs.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 21:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm assuming I go about getting the Abyssea add-ons from a local retailer? Or is there a way to get all 3 together online yet?
 Fenrir.Momohko
Server: Fenrir
user: noriko
By Fenrir.Momohko 2011-02-05 21:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

you buy them thru the pol additional services thing
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 21:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll be getting my feet wet and set the next few weeks probably. Good luck to your future endeavors as well.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 22:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

There are quite a few threads going around about gear choices for most jobs, you should be able to find ideas there if you are unsure of what to upgrade.

For thf I would suggest grabbing a neck piece for your tp set (Tiercel, chiv chain, agasaya, love torque), use the turban, get aurore legs and feet (assuming you do not have homam feet). You definitely need to get new daggers, yataghans from dominion would be easiest, although you may need to get lucky with augments. Brutal/suppa is still the best earring combo for TP. Upgrade the swift belt to a bullwhip, if you can find people to help proc blue weakness on Ovni. Dusk gloves or Homam for hands.

For WS build, you'll want to start gearing for Evisceration. It will be your bread&butter in abyssea after you get the Razed Ruins atma.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-05 22:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Veruna said:
Here is my current gear set-up that I was left with for both THF and BLM that I have to work with:

Black Mage:
AF1: full set
AF2: Body, Legs, Gloves
Selenian Cap (INT+4, M.Acc+2, M.Atk+2)
Z.Mitts
Moldy/Loquacious Earrings
Rostrum/Goliard Feet
Balrahn/Omega Ring
Yigit Body
Rairin/Hyorin Obi

Thief:
Sirocco Kukri/Swordbreaker
Turban/Denali Bonnet/O.hat
Breeze Gorget
Mirke Wardecors(dual wield and accuracy)
Brutal/Suppa
Jaeger Ring/Rajas
Bounding Boots/Denali Feet
Full AF1, Full AF2
Swift Belt

blm:
can do teal slops until af3 (errant/mahatma should be cheap until you hit 78), get a free diamond ring from gold chests in vunkerl for nukes. everything else is ok until af3 for nuking. personally i'd switch moogle hat to something for thf and use teal until af3. oh and nq/augmented weskit or teal body. not going to go into other sets because they're not really important at this point in the game.

thf:
-daggers >> augmented yataghan (level 77) from abyssea - grauberg.
tp:
-turban until af3.
-wivre gorgets drop in abyssea - tahrongi gold chests and can have crit rate+ augments on them; alternatively you can try to get agasaya's collar.
-earrings are fine
-mirke or rap harness until af3
-dusk gloves, aurore if you don't macro stuff for moving (don't hate me).
-keen ring should be cheap, and you can get a free jupiter's ring from a quest in abyssea - attohwa (but you need to get fame first). heed ring is good for eva/subtle blow but is expensive on my server. rajas is fine.
-swift until goading/bullwhip/twilight.
-aurore brais (78) until af3.
-aurore gaiters until homam/ballerines if you can get those.

evisc:
-change moogle hat to a ws piece. maybe deceit mask or aurore until then? not sure on that. aias bonnet is good if you don't want to change your hat (or don't have the means to), but if you don't have the means to change your hat you might not have the means to get aias bonnet anyway.
-a gorget for evisc, i think breeze is for de?
-some attack earring to replace suppa.
-aurore or dragon harness until loki's if you can get it (was going to suggest mirke but it has dw).
-af3+1 hands are fairly easy to get and enhance sneak damage in addition to being a great ws piece.
-i mentioned jupiter's ring above but actually meant it for ws.
-nifty mantle until atheling?
-warwolf belt is still pretty good for ws.
-tumbler trunks are really nice for ws until af3, but are probably kind of expensive.
-if you're a hume the marine feet might be decent; there are also lithe boots, which should be fairly cheap or easy to get.

this is still pretty basic, not going into other sets, but i tried to list the easiest upgrades. i don't play thf, so they might not be the best suggestions, so hopefully other people have some.
[+]
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 22:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

@Josiahfk - I've already met them. I believe my comment in LS was... "I see the shoutards are still around.."

@Kirana - I'm one of the unfortunate that didn't have a limbus shell that I could attend on a regular basis due to what time I was able to get on, and as far as Love Torque goes.. 0/3.

Edit-

@Lorzy - Thanks for the gear suggestions. I'll have to take a gander at the Aurore set I suppose.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 22:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Veruna said:
@Josiahfk - I've already met them. I believe my comment in LS was... "I see the shoutards are still around.."

@Kirana - I'm one of the unfortunate that didn't have a limbus shell that I could attend on a regular basis due to what time I was able to get on, and as far as Love Torque goes.. 0/3.

You wont need a love torque or homam, just saying they would be decent pieces if you happen to have them already. Lots of good suggestions already in this thread alone.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 22:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

True, true.

I do have a Voyager Sallet. Would that possibly work until Aia's Bonnet?

EDIT: PLEASE LOOK! - Sorry, had to get your attentions. Does anyone still update the better looking UI than the normal one SE gives us? I forgot the name of the person who made it, and who he passed it off too.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-05 23:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, I already downloaded windower. I'm talking about the one that changes all the icons and text font.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-05 23:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Voyager sallet will do fine until aias
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-05 23:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Veruna said:
I'm talking about the one that changes all the icons and text font.

to the rescue <call4>
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-02-06 03:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Ironguy! I can't stand the standard UI settings SE gives us. As far as I'm concerned. Brandson is a God among Men when it comes to making that.