Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI on laptop with core-I integrated graphic
FFXI on laptop with core-I integrated graphic
 Ifrit.Maddii
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Maddi
By Ifrit.Maddii 2011-01-19 08:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

i need a new laptop and was considering one with a core-I3 or CoreI5 CPU but without a dedicated graphics card since those cpus already have quite potent integrated graphics.

my question: will Final Fantasy XI run with those, for compatibility reasons?
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Server: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2011-01-19 08:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the integrated chip, do not expect it to run at max settings and look buttery smooth either. In short, yes, you should be able to play with fairly decent settings.
Could you post the specs sheet for the laptop?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-19 08:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh n/m I misread apparently, I could have sworn it said XIV.

XI isn't a very demanding game.. However I'm reluctant to give a definite yes it will be fine. So I will just say "Most likely".. Would need more info about the particular laptop though to see the specifications myself to make any solid guesses.

As for:
"those cpus already have quite potent integrated graphics"
I have no idea where you're pulling this from, but the single most governing factor when it comes to integrated graphics is not the CPU, it's your RAM... Integrated graphics use shared memory.. If your computer is eating up 80% of your RAM as is, you're not going to be able to do much that is graphic intensive without suffering some horrendous slow downs and performance issues.

Also people seem to neglect RAM the most when it comes to performance upgrades or the like. You could have the equivalent of the latest and greatest graphic card in integrated graphics and if your system didn't have the RAM to support it, it would do you no good.. RAM is key.
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2011-01-19 08:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea it will run it fine at max graphic with four characters running while tanking smn burns....

Ill post my specs when I get home if you like but its basicly a 4 gig u2 with integrated graphics..

I do lag slightly at the three main telepoints for some reason I still have NO idea why but thats really only time my framerate drops
 Sylph.Haxorking
Server: Sylph
user: Haxorking
By Sylph.Haxorking 2011-01-19 09:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My old 2002-2003 dell with a 1.55ghz processor, 512 ram, and an old $30 graphics card I picked up in 2005 will run FFXI on relatively high settings. In all honesty you should be able to run FFXI on a $300 netbook. It just depends what kind of performance you're looking for.
 Ifrit.Maddii
Server: Ifrit
user: Maddi
By Ifrit.Maddii 2011-01-19 10:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

its the Samsung 900X3A with 4GB Ram, 128 SSD and a Core I5 2520 UM. was seeing it at the CES where it was presented.

my main issue was, that i think i read some years ago FFXI might not work with integrated graphics, though this was referring to graphic chips on mainboards back then.

btw, my current old laptop has a core 2 duo with 2.0 Ghz and a GeForce 9300 mobile version with 512MB dedicated vram. it runs the game at max settings and in a full alliance pretty smoothly , though, at confluxes and warp points i sometimes get lags too when lots of ppl are around.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2011-01-19 10:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I got one of these and it runs FFXI just fine. I paid $600 or so for the laptop, and got FFXI UC and a Logitec controller which drove it up to right at $700. I'd imagine that 'free' copy of Trend Micro was added in there somewhere, too. If you use best buy, they're gonna try to talk you into a $1200 laptop, this one does fine.
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2011-01-19 13:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

F bestbuys. After buying my 17 studio from dell I went in there to check my buyers remores and they wanted double what I paid for the same specs minus backlit keyboard and built in bluetooth in a 15""!! Stay away from the box store.