Forum » FFXI » General » Recommendations (Job-wise) for returning to FFXI
Recommendations (Job-wise) for returning to FFXI
First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 21:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I am currently considering returning to FFXI after a 6-month-long break. The only thing holding me back is the thought that I will be so far behind that it won't even be desirable if I do end up coming back. In the event of my return, I am not sure what jobs I should keep working on and which I should abandon. I hear everyone saying that DRK is worthless now so I plan on canning that, but as for WAR, NIN, MNK, and SAM, I am not sure what to do with those. I can tell by looking over all of the new gear that has been added since I have been gone that WAR and MNK have gotten the better end of the stick. I am open to thoughts, suggestions, tips, what-have-you, in regards to what anyone believes I should do.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-01-17 21:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The mentality on this forum is that if something isn't optimal, it isn't good. I'm sure DRK is just fine. I'd suggest that you play what you find fun.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 21:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoy every job I have played, which is mainly the reason I am trying to narrow down my selection. I do not want to continue DRK if they have only gotten marginal improvements and struggle to get invites/have a purpose, whereas WAR and MNK received pretty hefty upgrades.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-17 21:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR NIN MNK all have their place. I'd honestly go with NIN or MNK since they have more utility.
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 21:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Is NIN finally considered a DD job as well, or is it still mainly a tank job? I originally only leveled NIN as a means of soloing mobs that weren't easily solo-able by traditional DD jobs.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-17 21:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Thehobo said:
Is NIN finally considered a DD job as well, or is it still mainly a tank job? I originally only leveled NIN as a means of soloing mobs that weren't easily solo-able by traditional DD jobs.

It's a very good DD now, and still an amazing tank. So it's both, hence the more utility. Most things people low-man, so it's good to have something that does both well. WAR's still one of the best DDs... but it can't tank, so it's only used for proccing Red!! or cleaving for the most part.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-01-17 22:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Level what you want to level and play, and only that. If you assume you have to level a certain job to get into a linkshell and get gear, then you won't have fun and ffxi will be a waste of time. Don't try to make other people happy.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 22:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure I will decide between NIN and MNK. How does the overall end-game type of mechanism (abyssea events) compare to the old sky/sea/einherjar/etc. setup in terms of drop-rates, waiting lists, etc? Is it any better than it used to be? One of the main reasons I have quit so many times is due to the fact that you would have to devote days on end of your time to get those items, which simply didn't seem worth it or enjoyable to me.
 Leviathan.Tohihroyu
By Leviathan.Tohihroyu 2011-01-17 22:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Level what you want to level and play, and only that. If you assume you have to level a certain job to get into a linkshell and get gear, then you won't have fun and ffxi will be a waste of time. Don't try to make other people happy.

^
This, who gives a ***what "everyone else" says is a good or a "shitty/dead" job, level & play as what you want.

*awaits down ratings*
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 22:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I, personally, don't believe that either end of the argument deserves to be "rated down." I am simply trying to decide from the list of jobs that I have decently leveled which ones I should pick back up once I return. I see both sides of the "you need to play THESE jobs / you should play whatever you like" debate. I appreciate all of the advice by the way. Keep it coming.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-01-17 22:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Don't level PUP.

Don't level DRK.

Don't level PLD.

Level anything else, but mainly MNK WHM BLM BLU or BRD.

I wouldn't pay any attention ^^^^^

...Level what you want... Its your game, your choice!

You're paying for it.

BTW Glad to have you back in the game... Where did you go for 6 mos?
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-17 22:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The real list of useful jobs and a brief why is as follows(might miss a few)

WAR - (most)Red !!, Fellcleave for exp, top-tier DD
NIN - (halfish)Red !!, Migawari, tanking, top-tier DD, (some)Yellow !!
MNK - (complete nighttime)Blue !!, tanking, top-tier DD
WHM - (some nighttime)Blue !!, best healer in the game, (some)Yellow !!, some buffs/enfeebles.
BLM/BRD - (most)Yellow!!
BLU - (some)Yellow!!, (random things BLUs use to justify their usefulness outside of Yellow!!)
THF - Treasure Hunter
BRD - Always useful, but not always needed.

That's probably about it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 22:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I get tired of the game after about a year or so of playing and then I take a month to 6-month-long hiatus. It is always refreshing to take a break and then come back once you start getting the craving again. I enjoy helping people in game, but at a certain point it starts to get tiring when you don't see yourself improving at all. That pattern tends to repeat itself everytime I come back, but I still find the game enjoyable after a break.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-01-17 22:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool, well that's ok... I know that there is many things to do, and now I decided 4 jobs at 90, might as well open summoner and, really its a whole new expereince to me.. love how it is different.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 22:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Niniann
Sorry for this, but keep in mind that I have been gone for 6 months; I don't understand anything that you just listed :P That is another reason I started this thread was to learn about some of the new features/strategies in the game.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-17 22:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Thehobo said:
@ Niniann
Sorry for this, but keep in mind that I have been gone for 6 months; I don't understand anything that you just listed :P That is another reason I started this thread was to learn about some of the new features/strategies in the game.

FFFFF ok.

Basically there's three !!'s you can get on a boss-type creature.

Yellow(commonly called grellow) - Helps AF mats drop, triggered by magical spells.

Blue - Helps the rare drop drop, triggered by physical weaponskills.

Red - Forces the key item to drop, triggered by magical weaponskills.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-17 22:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Thehobo said:
@ Niniann
Anything involving !!: Abyssea NMs have certain weaknesses that can be triggered by physical weaponskills (blue, increases R/E item droprates), elemental weaponskills (red, key items), or magic (grellow, seals for af3+1/2, crafting mats). Details are on the Abyssea page of the wiki.

Fell Cleave: AoE GAXE WS. Pull a shitton of mobs with a different job and go to town, basically. There are variations on this that other jobs can do (-agas, Aeolian Edge, BLU AoEs, Cataclysm, etc).

Migawari: Ninjutsu nullifying any damage greater than your max HP.
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-01-17 22:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Don't level PUP.

Don't level DRK.

Don't level PLD.

...Level what you want... Its your game, your choice! You're paying for it.

Fairy.Spence said:
The mentality on this forum is that if something isn't optimal, it isn't good.
It's sad how true spence's quote is.
 Ragnarok.Thehobo
By Ragnarok.Thehobo 2011-01-17 22:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm willing to bet that he isn't serious, he is just jokingly trolling. I understand that every job can be utilized in different situations, but again, I am just wanting to get the most out of my playing experience from the list of jobs I have leveled. I have always enjoyed Ninja, and Monk was an up-and-coming pass-time for me, but Warrior and Dark Knight seemed like labors of love instead of just being fun.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-17 22:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Don't level PUP.

Don't level DRK.

Don't level PLD.

...Level what you want... Its your game, your choice! You're paying for it.

Fairy.Spence said:
The mentality on this forum is that if something isn't optimal, it isn't good.
It's sad how true spence's quote is.
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-01-17 23:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Why So Serious?
Meh im just think it's true (and stupid) that so many people have a optimal or gtfo mentality (when it comes to jobs). I mean this game is easy anyway so why have that mentality?
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-01-17 23:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I would highly suggest nin or sam. If you want to to do respectable damage, you'll want to get an empyrean weapon. In most cases, they are better than relics. Sam has the easiest path for their emp weapon, nin's is almost as easy. Nin however is a more useful job overall. While War is probably the best DD around, their empy weapon is the glavoid path, which is easily 5x as hard+time consuming to complete. Mnk's path is also just as bad.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-01-17 23:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR might be harder but god damn it looks worth it. I see so many Masamune's lately its just meh..
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-17 23:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Why So Serious?
Meh im just think it's true (and stupid) that so many people have a optimal or gtfo mentality. I mean this game is easy anyway so why have that mentality?
Because we don't? Nothing requires an optimal setup and player skill has far more of an impact than the job they play. Stating facts (even overstating them for effect) and outright denying a good player because they play a bad job are two completely different things.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-01-17 23:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Im gonna say what I always say. Play what you enjoy, and what you fell in love with to begin with. I love LOLDRG like crazy but hell i have a pretty nice WAR to play rough when needed.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-01-18 04:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Why So Serious?
Meh im just think it's true (and stupid) that so many people have a optimal or gtfo mentality (when it comes to jobs). I mean this game is easy anyway so why have that mentality?

Thank you.. Some ppl want to be ***... I'm just letting the OP guy know that any job is optimal..

Its the "GTFO" mentality that really ruins the posters thoughts or ideals when anyone comes to play this game..

Spicy is just mad that I told the OP that he can play whatever he wants to feel, and comes to attack "moi" on the forums..

but meh can't help what can't be helped. You do try to ignore the idiots.. but some idiots need to be shown on paper, that truly they are # 1 Idiots.. IDK!!

Last I thought, trolls belong under bridges, not forums..
<shrugs>
[+]
First Page 2