DNC Third Atma?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » DNC third Atma?
DNC third Atma?
 Bahamut.Tejas
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Tejas
By Bahamut.Tejas 2011-01-13 16:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Just got my 7th zone clear, love some opinions on third atma. My assumption is RR, GH and either VV or SS. Am I missing one? I mostly tank or solo on DNC, not much opportunity to SS sadly, but would like some info / advice.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-13 16:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Not SS. With Loki's and Charis Feather you're only 2% off the critdmg cap due to innate traits. VV is a decent choice, but that STR is really just going to add attack in many situations due to capping fSTR so in the end you'll really want to aim for Atma of the Apocalypse.
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-01-13 16:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn, Apocalypse.

Thats what i use on my THF, always!
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-01-13 16:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

First, set Razed Ruins and Gnarled Horn. Third atma slot, IMO, is for utility. Damage is Apoc hands down. However, if you are tanking something which unrelentingly bombards you with damage of a single element and have mage support (Orthrus, Khimmy etc.) you may want to consider setting the resist atma of that element. There are some NMs, Indrik for example, where it may be a good idea to set an ACC atma. When tanking, I basically change atma #3 for each NM depending on what I need.
By necronomicon 2011-01-13 19:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

if you got mage support,
try Razed Ruins + Gnarled Horn + Sanguine Scythe
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-13 19:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

necronomicon said:
if you got mage support,
try Razed Ruins + Gnarled Horn + Sanguine Scythe
Better idea, don't.
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
Server: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2011-01-13 19:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

When I'm tanking (or soloing) I usually go for either Siren's shadow (resist para is very useful) or cloak and dagger, Razed ruin and apoc. Depending the mob I sometimes double up on evasion atmas with apoc. Seems to work well. Combined with a solid evasion setup and fan dance, if the mobs do manage to hit its usually not for much, leaving your tp for DD rather than waltzes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-01-13 19:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

i like apoc because i always seem to die RIGHT before a NM that drops an atma/key item is defeated

sooo apoc helps with that and auto reraise

and i cant tell you how many times quick magic has saved my ***
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-01-13 19:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn, Apocalypse.

Thats what i use on my THF, always!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-13 19:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
When I'm tanking (or soloing) I usually go for either Siren's shadow (resist para is very useful) or cloak and dagger, Razed ruin and apoc. Depending the mob I sometimes double up on evasion atmas with apoc. Seems to work well. Combined with a solid evasion setup and fan dance, if the mobs do manage to hit its usually not for much, leaving your tp for DD rather than waltzes.
Why not RR/GH/C&D for eva setups? 25 eva from AGI, some counters, a DPS boost, and reduced TP feed. Slower kill than with Apoc, but if you're going for a true eva setup then safety is more important.
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
Server: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2011-01-13 20:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

For instances where safety is more important, thats when I double up on the evasion. Sirens, cloak n Dagger, and apoc for the 3rd. Those are the times I just ignore RR alltogether. I like using RR, the crits alone help with holding hate. I havnt found my niche for GH yet for solo/tanking, but the evasion atmas work really well.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-13 20:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Guenhwyvar said:
For instances where safety is more important, thats when I double up on the evasion. Sirens, cloak n Dagger, and apoc for the 3rd. Those are the times I just ignore RR alltogether. I like using RR, the crits alone help with holding hate. I havnt found my niche for GH yet for solo/tanking, but the evasion atmas work really well.
I meant over your RR/Apoc/C&D setup, though I guess the question (why not GH) also applies if you're using Apoc in the third setup.