users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Skilling up
Skilling up
 Bismarck.Cerelyn
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Cerelyn 2011-01-10 04:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

All this talk about afk skilling up on poles. Right I tested that out yesterday in Castle Z, but how are you gonna be able to afk when they get "defeated" in matter of minutes? D:
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-01-10 04:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Use a low DMG weapon and be practically naked? I don't know.
[+]
 Bismarck.Cerelyn
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Cerelyn 2011-01-10 04:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I was.. lol
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-01-10 04:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the theory was brought about when the level cap was 80, and there's a pretty big difference between 80 and 90, so it's naturally a lot harder now.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Blazer
Server: Carbuncle
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-01-13 19:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

have dagger skilled around 200 now, am soon to be 90 thf. where is the best place to skill up?
 Bahamut.Shadowskull
Server: Bahamut
user: Shadow273
By Bahamut.Shadowskull 2011-01-13 19:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Melo Melo
 Carbuncle.Blazer
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-01-13 19:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

lol. glen crabs?
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-13 19:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Cerelyn said:
I was.. lol
By low dmg it should be as close to 1 as possible.

But really I've lasted a good 20 min with elemental staffs before. Oh and haste gear still goods.
By blazey 2011-01-13 19:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

where are these poles mentioned above? and whats the cap on them for skills?
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
Server: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2011-01-13 19:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember capping out on these around 300. I also think SE nerfed this quite a bit. When lvl cap was first taken to 80 I remember taking my 75 pld there with only acc+ gear and a treat staff and only getting to 275 after a couple hours of swinging away at it while afk. After checking the time stamp i didnt get a single skillup off it for an hour after.

This may still work very well for severely underleveld weapons, I just havnt tried is since then.

These poles are located in Castle Bailey's S. 2 are outside the castle, north and south of where darkspark pops in present respectively, and 2 more just inside. Due to the possibility of aggroing mobs outside without finding the perfect position on them, I stuck to the poles inside. No mobs pop near there.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-13 19:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

They cap at level 75 (276 for A+, 269 for A, etc). There was no nerf, I skilled katana/gk on them a while back.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-13 21:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
They cap at level 75 (276 for A+, 269 for A, etc). There was no nerf, I skilled katana/gk on them a while back.
This... don't know why people think that. The only gimping happened with getting skill ups in campaign without having status... and that happened way before these were introduced.

Also the whole aggro issue. It's very easy to not aggro on all of these. Just melee at max melee range on the side where the mobs aren't and you wont ever get aggro. I got swd club and staff from like 50s to 200+ on drg awhile back for my alt. Now it's a red proccing machine
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-01-14 01:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

where the chuff can i skill my marksmanship? 250.. not gtting nothing from the tre.. cant find a decent spot
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 01:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rinkydink said:
where the chuff can i skill my marksmanship? 250.. not gtting nothing from the tre.. cant find a decent spot
To get a skill up the mob most be at least the lvl that you would have to be for your skill to be capped.

Ie 199 is the cap for a 61 cor therefore you'd need a mob that was lvl 62 or higher. The fortalices previously mentioned would work as they are 75. Make some kind of repeating maccro or spellcast rule and go afk for a bit
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-01-14 01:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

if your trying to skill up H2H on these, it does not work and your sol.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 02:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Krazyrs said:
if your trying to skill up H2H on these, it does not work and your sol.
Yeah with your base dmg going up from skill... would definitely make it hard to slowly kill them
 Asura.Rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-01-14 02:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Rinkydink said:
To get a skill up the mob most be at least the lvl that you would have to be for your skill to be capped. Ie 199 is the cap for a 61 cor therefore you'd need a mob that was lvl 62 or higher. The fortalices previously mentioned would work as they are 75. Make some kind of repeating maccro or spellcast rule and go afk for a bit

meh.. foralices.. gay! i was hoping for a mob rather than a statue! haha. i assume the gigas in xarcabard (s) would be nice. i need to finish capping evasion at same time, then go back on mnk and do guard blah blah but yeh marksmanship is gonna be done on war/dnc (i think)
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 02:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

war/dnc to skill up marksminship... um wow. Well due to the much lower skill rating to still get skillups you'd have to fight a lvl 85 or higher mob and that would only get you to 255.

Er and I thought you said 200 at first so cor would have to fight something lvl 76+. Rng only 72+
 Asura.Rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-01-14 03:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

only cos i can take a beating on war and skill up other things same time

my cor is lol so to try take hits (when sleep fails) isnt exactly reliable lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 03:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fortalices don't hit back!!!
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-01-14 04:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Get into an Abyssea exp party alliance and skill up using atma!
 Asura.Rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-01-14 04:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Get into an Abyssea exp party alliance and skill up using atma!

tried that.. lol need to start crafting bullets instead of paying for them cos it costs a fortune to miss,miss,miss,miss

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Fortalices don't hit back!!!
exactly why i wanted mobs rather than fort.. to do several things at once..
ah well looks like cor and fort it is then.. (if the fkers are alive they never are when i go!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 04:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the problem with your doing it on war is you wont be getting markminship skills for very long... and you'd have to fight something rather strong lol
 Asura.Rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-01-14 04:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh i guess..

/Ra "Turul"

/sh OH SHITT bad choice

problem is when i hit "lvl 75 cap" on the fort's then what?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-14 04:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Xp pt!!!

Really though you shouldn't be wiffing that much anyways. I've been a gun rng the whole way up (had it capped from thf and merited).

Then so I could proc blue more I decided to skill up archery. So I went off to tahrongi caynon as a 85 rng (which was the cap at the time) used atma of the drifter (only had 1 lunar at the time), my decent tp set, a lol cobra bow, some sushi, and 116 skill....

I think I started at ~70-80% racc. By the time I got acess to sidewinder I was hitting more like 90-95% on tp hits and pulling hate like crazy and by the time I hit low to mid 200s I felt safe with switching to pots instead of shusi.

Now there are even more racc atmas out more agi from cruor buffs... really you shouldn't be wiffing that much if you don't want to. Though yeah you sacrifice some dmg and such to do so.
 Asura.Rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-01-14 06:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

im ELVAAAN! lol im used to whiffing!

guess i need to figure the right atma's
By blazey 2011-01-15 11:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, well at this current time i'm fighting the t1 vnm in grauberg (darkness elemental). let's just say it's the easiest, most annoying fight in the game. it does no melee attacks. it absorbs various stats, occasionally drains, but loves sleepga 2. i started this fight 45 minutes ago at dagger skill 273, am now at 287. probably going to fight this thing a few more times lol.
 Carbuncle.Blazer
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-01-15 12:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

s
blazey said:
ok, well at this current time i'm fighting the t1 vnm in grauberg (darkness elemental). let's just say it's the easiest, most annoying fight in the game. it does no melee attacks. it absorbs various stats, occasionally drains, but loves sleepga 2. i started this fight 45 minutes ago at dagger skill 273, am now at 287. probably going to fight this thing a few more times lol.

so fighting this thing again, for some reason (even though on wiki it says it wont), it's meleeing me.

Any ideas on why it wasn't before and is now?
 Diabolos.Megatron
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Megatron 2011-01-15 12:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

just do it the old fashioned way. ash a whm what there healing skill is? then then say is that capped? then go wanna cap it? then you go out to the nest . walk all the way to the basement and pick on rumble crawlers & blazer beetles. that will get you to 180ish. then pack the whm up. head to the tree. run up to the top floor and pick on a few crabs. that will run you to about 250ish. then if u missin abyssea jsut shoot yourself and move on.

first rule of being a ranger is knowing/cor how to make your own ammo.