Pope Says God Behind Theories Like Big Bang

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Pope Says God Behind Theories Like Big Bang
Pope Says God Behind Theories Like Big Bang
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-08 08:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also a lot of Catholic schools teach evolution in their science classes and have been for many years. It's actually other christian dominations that insist on creationism be taught in science class and not in theology class where it should be.

Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-08 08:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
All I'm implying here is that maybe the catholic church is prone to new ideas.

The Catholic chruch has been pretty good with accepting/tolerating ideas that will let them keep followers and their followers money, throughout history.

Which means maybe, sometime, eventually they may accept homosexuality. But not condoms......
I thought they have started to bend on the condoms things.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-08 08:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

For the most part my discussion of the catholic church has deviated from the normal church bashing that has gone on.

Let's try to keep this up before it blows up, lol.

Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-01-08 08:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
All I'm implying here is that maybe the catholic church is prone to new ideas.

The Catholic chruch has been pretty good with accepting/tolerating ideas that will let them keep followers and their followers money, throughout history.

Which means maybe, sometime, eventually they may accept homosexuality. But not condoms......
I thought they have started to bend on the condoms things.

Condoms only when you can reduce infection (such as HIV) but for birth control that is baaad.

Basically, with the catholic church they may eventually change their policy but it is usually a bit late.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-08 08:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's irrelevant because everyone knows the big bang is a big pile of balls. Honestly it makes me lol when people claim to know how the universe was created when relatively speaking we know absolutely nothing about it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-08 09:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
It's irrelevant because everyone knows the big bang is a big pile of balls. Honestly it makes me lol when people claim to know how the universe was created when relatively speaking we know absolutely nothing about it.
They're getting closer to the truth every day though.
Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-08 09:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Wombat said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Interesting...

I always though Catholics were the hardcore ones and Protestants were the lessor bunch.

That's often true; there are many Protestant groups who are very reasonable in their interpretation of Scripture (especially in the scholarly circles--Professors of Theology tend to be fairly "liberal").

I think you're confusing the Reformation as a whole with the shift of England, as a state, from being officially Catholic to officially Protestant. This did occur because the Pope wouldn't allow the king to divorce his wife; so, he basically made his own Protestant church that would let him do it--The Church of England (known as the Anglican Church in the U.S.).

Henry the 8th iirc
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-08 09:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Snick said:
I wish someone's faith could just be a personal choice that doesn't need to be ridiculed or shouted from the rooftops by people from both sides.

People seem to mix up faith and religion, because they wanna seem cool (or something) saying religion is bad. Like we didn't already know that.

na both should be ridiculed relentlessly, faith should never be protected.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-08 09:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
inb4 Jetackuu getting reported a ton of times.

Reporting Jet is for butthurt pussies.

indeed
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-08 20:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
...the Church now also accepts evolution as a scientific theory and sees no reason why God could not have used a natural evolutionary process in the forming of the human species.

Now he says god is behind evolution as well.

How can an all knowing and perfect being create a natural process like evolution?
 Leviathan.Raborn
user: Raborn
By Leviathan.Raborn 2011-01-11 10:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I found this somewhat interesting and scary at the same time.

This only further leads to a positive conclusion that when translating the bible to multiple languages, the translators DID in fact edit their versions to reflect what they wanted the commonwealth to know.

Proving that religion WAS used as a control mechanism back during the medieval eras. And perhaps did in fact slow the production of mankind, technology wise at least.

Thus we must turn back to the Qur'an the original source of the religion in order to see what was altered.

As far as evolution goes it is a change that occurs over time and everyone knows anything that exists changes or dies. And in place of one organism dying another takes its place or multiples (thrive). So Darwinists rejoice at the fact that common sense does exist still in the world, even if not amongst humans. Yet evolution denies nor proves anything of an existence of a higher being. In which case all you Roswell fans rejoice because Aliens do still have a shot at existing, the Aliens of course being God or Gods.

Definition for Alien : "Beyond or Not of belonging to the Earth."

begin laser lights and spooky noises.
 Luz
By Luz 2011-01-11 10:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Raborn's posts get progressively funnier.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [62 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Marrs
Server: Unicorn
user: Marrs
By Unicorn.Marrs 2011-03-14 21:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What exactly is the surprise here? Obviously Catholics are going to believe the Universe was created/had a begining, the big bang is an account of the early evolution of the universe - not its creation (it does not state how it came from nothing) so...? The only significant thing I find in this is that the Pope said Genesis shouldn't be read literally.

Catholics believe in a beginning (obviously) > scientist found a point near the beginning...so where is the contradiction/catholic-hypocrisy or surprise?

IN FACT. A lot of scientist HATED the big bang theory at first because of its philosophical implications, implying that the universe was not infinite and at once needed a beginning.... just sayin.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-03-14 21:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice Necro bumping a Thread thats 2 months old.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2011-03-14 21:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGIen0Pp7TQ
 Unicorn.Marrs
By Unicorn.Marrs 2011-03-14 21:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Nice Necro bumping a Thread thats 2 months old.

I didnt see it two months ago, and what would you have said if I posted a new thread on the same subject? "Double thread moron"? Whats your suggested action for someone who wants to make a point?
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-14 22:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well since Christians believe that everything is the work of God (except when it's the work of the devil), this certainly fits into the church's belief system.
 Leviathan.Rynok
By Leviathan.Rynok 2011-03-14 22:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say that I believe anything mainstream, but perhaps instead of saying that the universe is "chance" or directly created by a divine, omnipotent being they could come to a middle ground like this. God made the big bang happen and things developed from there. Like in Futurama, season 5 episode 9 "A Clockwork Origin." (I find it hilarious that futurama got this idea out before the Catholic church personally)
 Unicorn.Marrs
By Unicorn.Marrs 2011-03-14 22:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rynok said:
I can't say that I believe anything mainstream, but perhaps instead of saying that the universe is "chance" or directly created by a divine, omnipotent being they could come to a middle ground like this. God made the big bang happen and things developed from there. Like in Futurama, season 5 episode 9 "A Clockwork Origin." (I find it hilarious that futurama got this idea out before the Catholic church personally)

I think you'd be mis-representing atheist scientist by saying they believe it to be "chance". Unless you mean in the sense that human beings came out of it, but the universe as a whole I dont think so.