Cataclysm: olde but
First Page 2
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-06 06:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I know some of you don't travel to other forums.

Credits go to BG and alla forums for this one

montonen said:
This won't be news to some (or possibly many) of you, but figured I'd post as general info.

Everyone knows about Fell Cleave burns and how well they do, particularly for farming chests (also for xp, but xp is a bit of a joke to worry about). Mnk can't really contribute to that with H2H because Spinning Attack sucks (well, relative to the damage needed for this to be effective). The new staff weaponskill, Cataclysm, has potential, but had been rather weak as an overall option; better than Spinning Attack, but not enough to stand on its own as an alternative to Fell Cleave.

Well, with some help from a poster on BG, I've found a combination that can keep up fairly well with non-2hr'd Fell Cleave numbers. Against mobs that aren't resistant to dark damage (so no bats or funguars, etc) it does reliable damage in the 2000-2200 range. With Ascetic's Tonic and favorable zone bonuses it can go up to near 2500, and occasionally can drop to the ~1900 range, presumably with poor zone bonuses.

Setup:

First, you need three atma. If you only have two available, I'm actually not sure which of them I'd drop (probably Cosmos, since the key atma appears to be Smiting Blow).

1) Atma of the Cosmos: Acquired from Iratham, the caturae in Tahrongi
2) Atma of the Ultimate: Fabricated atma, requires defeating Proto-Ultima
3) Atma of the Smiting Blow: Acquired from the iron giant, Ironclad Smiter, that gives one of the key items for popping Rani

Cosmos: +30% darkness damage
Ultimate: +50 MAB, +50(?) magic acc (useful for fewer resists)
Smiting Blow: TP Bonus (+100 TP to weaponskill; low level testing indicated about +45% damage for +100 TP; unknown fTP values)

And then a good int/MAB weaponskill set. Gear that I'm using:

Pluto's Staff (Can substitute Dark Staff, but you want the +magic damage bonus from one of these, not a high damage staff)
Artemis' Medal (variable MAB)
Moldavite Earring (+5 MAB)
Usukane body (+8 int; Kirin's Osode would be slightly better if you have that)
Spiral Ring (+5 int, should have this anyway)
~second int ring, or augmented Demon's Ring from Tahrongi; I'm using +2 MAB Demon's Ring
Denali Kecks (+3 MAB)

There are a few other improvements, such as Hecate's Earring or Novio Earring, and a handful of minor +int options. Other than one of the earrings, I don't think they're worth the inventory space for this, but if you have space, feel free.

This is the one case where I'd actually seriously recommend /sam for subjob. Hasso, 15 Store TP, Meditate and Sekkanoki all contribute greatly to making this work well. Plus subbing /sam gives you access to Judgment and Seraph Strike just like /war if you need proc weaponskills.

With /sam you can aim for an 8-hit build. With Pluto's Staff you need 39 Store TP to reach a comfortable 8-hit where you can swap stuff out during weaponskill. 15 from trait means you need 24 from gear. I get this with Usu body, AF3+2 legs, Usu feet, Rajas, Brutal and Belenos Mantle (27 total). Adding a Rose Grip means you could drop one of: Usu body, Usu feet or AF3+2 legs in terms of Store TP. Only 6 Store TP in gear is needed during weaponskill to maintain the 8-hit.

It's slightly easier to do using a Dark Staff, since it has a higher base TP/hit (can drop 3 Store TP).

A 9-hit build with Pluto's Staff only requires 22 Store TP, so trait + Rajas + Brutal + Rose Grip is more than enough; other options can be combined with various degrees of flexibility. Rajas is all you need with a Dark Staff.

Various party configurations are doable. Whm for simple curing (the amount needed isn't huge, but Cure V's can sure make things easier), Sch or Rdm for Phalanx, or Smn for Perfect Defense all work. A blm for supplementary -ga spells and sleepga can also be useful. In my case I had Whm and Blm with me, along with a thf that was pulling (we were doing Gnawtooth Gary for seals, and the surrounding rabbits don't link, so was easier to have the thf /ra a bunch and bring them back to me). Sea monks were a lot easier since they agro, and you can just run around to gather a bunch.

Use Hasso fulltime. Restore chests make Sekka+Cata+Cata easy, followed by Meditate for a third, and if you have sufficient numbers to maintain killing you can Hundred Fists each time as well (sort of compensates for not having Retaliation). The AOE range on Cataclysm is quite large, so it's easy to pull in nearby mobs as well.

Most mobs (once they're around T or above) have about 6k HP, so 3 Cataclysms should kill them. With the blm there, we also got into a bit of a pattern of Sekka+Cata+Cata+Blizzaga3 to clear everything out in very short order.

I used Tav Tacos for food to help reduce damage taken (and did see a pretty decent reduction compared to when food wore off). Also easily managed killing the NMs even without real DD atma; Victory Smite without DD atma was averaging about as much as Ascetic's Fury does with DD atma (maybe a bit less, given that the mobs are relatively weaker than when I last fought them). If you don't have Revenant Fists (or Verethragna) for Victory Smite your damage output on NMs may be a bit on the low side. On the other hand, if you're just an offshoot of the main group solely working on maintaining TEs, or if you're doing all your TE building beforehand, then it doesn't really matter.

As an aside, this setup should also do phenomenally if using Primeval Brew, since apparently magic weaponskills have much higher potential damage than physical ones. I intend to try it next time we do a Shinryu run.

Olde news but oh well may be new to someone. Enjoy the new toy
[+]
 Alexander.Sumo
Server: Alexander
user: sumo
By Alexander.Sumo 2011-01-06 12:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a bunch Tiger, hadn't heard anything about this before. May have to try this out after I finish skilling staff.
 Caitsith.Crunkie
Server: Caitsith
user: Crunkie
By Caitsith.Crunkie 2011-01-06 12:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah great info! My staff skill is almost capped for MNK been grinding it pretty hard this week with martial master up, definitely gonna have to try this out soon since I got all the above mentioned Atmas and pretty decent MAB gear from BLM. Rate up for sure^^
 Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-06 13:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess it's kinda cool, does DRG have access to this Staff WS? Would it be better than their newest AoE polearm WS?
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-01-06 13:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

When I first saw the topic I figured it was going to be about WoW, but then I saw Tiger posted it and I figured not.

Not a bad alternative for people without fell cleave. Not bad at all.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2011-01-06 13:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for posting this Tiger, I find it very useful.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-06 14:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
I guess it's kinda cool, does DRG have access to this Staff WS? Would it be better than their newest AoE polearm WS?
Quote:
Cataclysm is only natively available to Paladins, Warriors, Monks, and White Mages. While other jobs can obtain the required 290 Staff skill, they must use one of the aforementioned jobs as their support job in order to gain access to Cataclysm.

If it weren't for the SJ thing, I'd say yes, simply because Sonic Thrust is more of a straight rather than an actual AoE, so you'll hit many more mobs w/ this.
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
When I first saw the topic I figured it was going to be about WoW, but then I saw Tiger posted it and I figured not.

Not a bad alternative for people without fell cleave. Not bad at all.
As someone w/ both this and fell cleave, I prefer this on mnk because then when KI's are farmed I can actually do some NMs on mnk over war, like Chloris for example (which was the purpose of last night's gold chest farm)
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-01-06 17:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

In the long run, WAR will prob do better since you can actually trigger red on NMs to finish pop sets
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-06 17:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

if I'm cleaving KIs, red won't be necessary. I do go war when I farm KIs regularly, but prefer mnk for chests so i can mnk on Chloris.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-01-06 17:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think WAR + WHM could do it just as easily as MNK + WHM. Still, it would be easier to just kill an NM to finish a pop set then to keep burning chests to get that last KI you need. Could waste to much time just getting the same KIs you have/dont need and going to waste.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-06 17:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You obviously haven't seen my war.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-01-06 17:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

+1s isnt hard to get bro!
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-06 17:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly though juts depends on the NM. If I have to farm pre-req pops like Cannered Noz, it always goes much faster on mnk. Though I usually just come out and farm 3-4 heads at once and box them to myself then just save for future popping.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-06 18:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK gets access to martial staff too which is a pretty nice boost to the dmg. Messed around with this some on war but never really seriously (and didn't have the atmas for it at the time)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Skeero
Server: Odin
By Odin.Skeero 2011-01-06 18:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure how martial staff would do vs. pluto's staff.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-06 18:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

FTP for 200->300% goes from 4.0 to 5.0 so a 25% increase. Pluto's should be 15% so unless you consistently go over 100% all the time, martial will win.

Also slightly higher delay so may be easier to x-hit.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-06 19:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
FTP for 200->300% goes from 4.0 to 5.0 so a 25% increase. Pluto's should be 15% so unless you consistently go over 100% all the time, martial will win.

Also slightly higher delay so may be easier to x-hit.
Where are you getting your FTP numbers from? I couldn't find them earlier.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-06 19:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Gobli has a link on the front page

http://www32.atwiki.jp/studiogobli/pages/94.html

2.75/4.0/5.0 for 100/200/300 respectively
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-06 19:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm interesting, but most of the time you'll be taking JA chest and start out with sekka cata cata. The first one won't get tp bonus from the staff nor the atma, and the second one will be done at 200 tp. From there takes 1 or 2 more to kill them pending temp items etc.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-06 19:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

True, I forget how fast they die, lol. Still not bad if you happen to not be on /sam though.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 15:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Does tp bonus from weapon actually stack with atma? Could be interesting to have auto 300% tp on some ws
 Sylph.Rorrick
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-01-10 20:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

His name is Motenten. You butcher it every time you mention him.
 Shiva.Gylfie
Server: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-01-21 15:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would Griffon's Claw not be better than TP bonus?
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Unicorn.Motenten 2011-01-21 23:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

TP Bonus is about +45% damage. Griffon's Claw is +20% damage. No, not better.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-21 23:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rorrick said:
His name is Motenten. You butcher it every time you mention him.
Well, usually I just call him Kinematics, but not as many people recognize him by that.
 Lakshmi.Bladewing
Server: Lakshmi
user: bladewing
By Lakshmi.Bladewing 2011-01-26 11:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Can Cataclysm double attack or crit? Don't think so during my testing but tossing it out there...
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2011-02-10 13:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

In my testing on whm kirin's pole does more damage

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir