Charged Whisker
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18
 Cerberus.Sey
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2011-01-04 17:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So there's a taru BLU on my server that is hitting a group of detectors in Abyssea Altepa for 6K+ damage. He shots most of the group tho. However when I try it I can't get over 2.6K with my Charged Whisker. I can only use Beyond, Kirin & MM as my magic atmas so I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Here's my current Charged Whisker set

Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-01-04 17:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Is he maybe using Atma of the Lion and Atma of the Ultimate?

No amount of gear is going to make that kind of difference.
But, when I switched to Atma of the Cosmos from Atma of the Beyond, my Everyone's Grudge dmg jumped from 3kish to 5k+.

Elemental Attack+ is just alot more potent than MAB. I think it adds directly to the base damage or something, so it gets multipled by every factor you add into the spell damage formula later on. I could be wrong though.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-04 17:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

elemental attack is straight percentage added to that element like staffs or MAB day/weather etc. The reason why a certain amount would be better is because the more of any one you stack the less percent change you get in dmg. So like you have 0 MAB 15 would be 15% dmg but at +100 it would be half that. THat is why +element attack is often better for most jobs because we have so much MAB. Also some of them are 40% where as most MAB atmas are only 30.

Also he may have been getting set procs day/weather etc. Idk haven't really played with it much or even checked out the mods to do the math on it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-04 17:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never tried it on detectors but I can get 5k+ usually with Lion + Blinding Horn + Ultimate Atma on most of the normal mobs. I usually round them up and whirl of rage them first, then use whisker to finish them off.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-01-08 23:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I see Atma of the Lion from Hadhayosh, but what about Atma of the War Lion from Apedemak? The Lightning +: Superior has me thrown off a bit. Is it lightning damage or lightning resist?
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-08 23:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lightning resist +100. The atmas I listed above are the best possible damage combination you can get. Blinding Horn and Lion are both lightning attack: major, and we all know what ultimate does.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-01-08 23:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
and we all know what ultimate does.
\
Made my Sanguine Blade allow me to tank...
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-08 23:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
I've never tried it on detectors but I can get 5k+ usually with Lion + Blinding Horn + Ultimate Atma on most of the normal mobs. I usually round them up and whirl of rage them first, then use whisker to finish them off.
The only issue I have with this, is how do you manage to cast whisker when you have all those mobs beating on you without dying or being interrupted?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-08 23:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Whirl of Rage tends to take care of that.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 23:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Bismarck.Helel said:
The only issue I have with this, is how do you manage to cast whisker when you have all those mobs beating on you without dying or being interrupted?
Full pdt/def + phalanx maybe? That's what I did when I was againg things to death. Usually use a stun move or actinic burst like that then follow up with real dmg in real casting gear. Also buying some fanatics to speed things up. Though now I pretty much always have one from killing nms thanks to abyssite of the cosmos
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-09 00:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Dream Flower -> Cast. It's part of MAB trait anyway.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-09 00:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Dream Flower ^^

Edit: Phalanx works too. I always bring my RDM mule to phalanx ii me. You gotta start casting in your -pdt gear then swap to charged whisker gear right before spell goes off.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-09 01:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw anyone have the exact mods and amounts and multipliers etc for the spell? And Grudge too
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-09 01:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone's Grudge - 40% MND, 5 fTP
Charged Whisker - 50% DEX, 4.5 fTP.

INT primary modifiers with a multiplier of 2.

Courtesy of Rena at BG.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-09 01:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks... and lol dex mod. RR ftw?
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-09 01:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, my pdt set is the one thing I'm really missing with blu, I keep meaning to start working on it, but just never managed to get around to it. I have twilight torque, I'll get a couple rings from Konschtat, a cape and eventually a sword or two and hopefully that will be enough... Just need to work out what gear to sacrifice to fit it all in :(
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-09 01:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Working on PDT myself, MDT was easy enough. Can safely say though that with a halfway decent build for Charged Whisker and/or Thermal Pulse you'll be 2-shotting (at most 3-shotting) any type of mob while you're AoE burning.

My cycle is usually: Occultation -> Cocoon -> PDT set -> Go Pull -> CA -> Whirl of Rage -> Actinic Burst -> Dream Flower -> Burst Affinity -> Memento Mori -> Charged Whisker -> Repeat

w/ the INT set on my profile page + MM/Lion/Ultimate.

Can do without the Act. burst and Memento stages, but I've grown so used to using them that it's a reflex. If anything is alive after that cycle it's usually because of a resist, and for that I can Pulse or do another Rage.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-09 01:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said:
Everyone's Grudge - 40% MND, 5 fTP
Charged Whisker - 50% DEX, 4.5 fTP.

INT primary modifiers with a multiplier of 2.

Courtesy of Rena at BG.
So for charged whisker for instance, would 2 DEX be about equal to 1 INT for damage? Just trying to get my head around how those numbers actually work before I start playing with builds to work out how to get the most out of it. Everyone's Grudge isn't as much of an issue there, as basically all INT gear has equal amount of MND except for rings.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-09 01:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I myself use all INT, no DEX. I'll do a test some time to see if DEX does have any impact over INT, but I doubt it personally. Maybe when you have Burst Affinity up DEX will pull ahead but...
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-09 01:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing the math w/o BA or convergence 1 dex ~ 1.9125 to base dmg while 1 int is 2... so int will pull ahead slightly.

With BA and/or convergence ... well you can do the math since it depends on af3 bonus and how many convergence merits you have but yeah dex will pull ahead a bit.

Also according to kirschy it seems dstat factors do cap at 1276 for the whole term so in this case when you have 638 more int than the mob... I've personally tested this to be true with wildfire at the very least.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-09 01:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh may as well not even factor in Convergence; you'd be better off using it on Everyone's Grudge.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-09 01:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well your INT build is about the same as mine, only real advantage you have is that I'm missing 3 wieldance coins to finish out all my +2, so I'll have to have a play with that and see how high I can push it. First step will be an atma change around, I was only using ultimate and MM for damage (apocalypse is too hard to pass up for general abyssea stuffs).

Thanks for the info.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-09 01:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said:
Meh may as well not even factor in Convergence; you'd be better off using it on Everyone's Grudge.
Why you say that? That part of the equation favors charge. Actually grudge looks to only pull ahead because most good nuke peices contain mnd and int while not much gives dex and int. But given same amounts of each pertinent stat charge should pull ahead.

Doesn't even factor in there are 2 + lightning atmas and only 1 dark. Well for major or stronger
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-09 01:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Doing the math w/o BA or convergence 1 dex ~ 1.9125 to base dmg while 1 int is 2... so int will pull ahead slightly.

With BA and/or convergence ... well you can do the math since it depends on af3 bonus and how many convergence merits you have but yeah dex will pull ahead a bit.

Also according to kirschy it seems dstat factors do cap at 1276 for the whole term so in this case when you have 638 more int than the mob... I've personally tested this to be true with wildfire at the very least.
Well, if there's a slot where you can equip more DEX than INT, then the DEX should win, not that I can think of any examples for that...
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-09 01:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Valefor.Prothescar said:
Why you say that? That part of the equation favors charge? Actually grudge looks to only pull ahead because most good nuke peices contain mnd and int while not much gives dex and int.
Because convergence makes it single target. Good to know for brewing, but kinda useless for aoe farming :p
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-09 01:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Mostly talking out of my *** I guess, just figure if you're wanting to use a single target spell, may as well use the stronger single target spell, especially since that stronger single target spell still benefits from Convergence, no?

Edit: Ah right, thunder atmas. Forgot that Blinding Horn existed, I should get that.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-09 01:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Well, if there's a slot where you can equip more DEX than INT, then the DEX should win, not that I can think of any examples for that...
Aias Bonnet Spear Strap Thiazi's Belt pretty much it. Well almace... but yeah
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-09 01:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm and doing the math it seems that charge may be the only thing to beat wildfire brewed... assuming the right atmas and decent gearing sounds like fun times. And assuming the increase in stat mods from BA work with capped stats which it should
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-01-09 01:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm, so I should probably be using Aias over Teal for Charged then eh... time to make a separate set. The other two pieces I can't really justify losing 2 inventory spots for.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-09 11:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Did some playing today in Grauberg, exactly as you said Prothescar (same atma too as I don't have the karkadan one), and yeah, that works really well, so thanks for the advice.

Farmed about 300 minutes for the LS run in just a few rounds of that.
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18