FFXI Offline Or Private Modes?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI Offline or Private modes?
FFXI Offline or Private modes?
 Titan.Lillica
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-01-03 02:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone keeping up on this or know of any current projects? I have looked around a bit and only find a lot of theoretical stuff and stuff that is old and abandoned.

I guess I am just wondering how likely it is that something like this might become more likely as FFXI may one day come to a close. Do MMORPG's generally start to "leak" the necessary information required to create something like this once they become less financially viable for a company to maintain? This is my first MMO so I don't know what really happens to them when they "go under", and the only offline server experience I have was a brief run on a private WoW server on a ship when I was in the navy, but I didn't run it or play on it much so I don't know a lot about it.
[+]
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2011-01-03 02:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Last I checked pXI had been given a C&D order by SE. If its still in development secretly then its still probobly years away from development.

Regardless - the game will not be the game we know today even if it was to become fully functional since all the drop rates and combat formulas are all server side and are currently just best guess.

I wouldnt count on any offline version of 11 being released by anyone for several years down the line. But I may be wrong. /shrug
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-03 02:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as the official servers are still up and running, I really wouldn't count on seeing it. Once the game is officially canceled and SE doesn't have as much of a vested interest in it (since as of now the only way you can play, is through them) private/open servers are more likely to come about. Right now if anything went up, it would probably be met with the fiercest litigation SE could muster, and squashed rather quickly.

Even if it were to happen, you can safely assume that it would be buggy as hell, depending on your tolerance to such things, it might even be unplayable.
[+]
 Titan.Lillica
Server: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-01-03 03:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I can understand them wanting to shut stuff down while they are still making money off it. I just think about down the road when they finally say sorry no more, and all the time that people have invested into the game by that point just kinda going away. Plus even solo or doing some of the low level stuff this game is still damn fun to play.
[+]
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2011-01-03 03:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

My ideal situation would be for Square-Enix to develop a working offline version of the game that played "solo" but "felt like a party" similar to Final Fantasy XII. Where the game's difficulty was lowered just a bit and allowed for your team of 3 to level up and take out anything.

*sigh* It would be so nice, but Square-Enix would probably never do it. Though I know I'd buy it even if it cost me an extra $60 or something, so as long as a few other people shared the same mentality it wouldn't be a total waste of their time.

Hell, they haven't even made the PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VII that fans have been demanding for years already.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-03 03:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jessie said:
Hell, they haven't even made the PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VII that fans have been demanding for years already.
I doubt they ever will.. I mean SE doesn't exactly shy away from taking chances and destroying their legacy, but remaking FF7 would put tremendous pressure on them.. It would be one of their most scrutinized games yet, and the fallout from failing to produce something anything less than marvelous would rival the heat they've felt from the FFXIV fallout, if not be even worse. Since it's not a MMO, they can't go back and redo everything to make it into the game fans want, once it's out, it's out. They could only implement minor changes through patching.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-03 12:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Caitsith.Jessie said:
I doubt they ever will.. I mean SE doesn't exactly shy away from taking chances and destroying their legacy, but remaking FF7 would put tremendous pressure on them.. It would be one of their most scrutinized games yet, and the fallout from failing to produce something anything less than marvelous would rival the heat they've felt from the FFXIV fallout, if not be even worse. Since it's not a MMO, they can't go back and redo everything to make it into the game fans want, once it's out, it's out. They could only implement minor changes through patching.
it would take em two decades to do it anyway because of how they operate.
dern enix bass turds.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-01-03 13:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jessie said:
My ideal situation would be for Square-Enix to develop a working offline version of the game that played "solo" but "felt like a party" similar to Final Fantasy XII. Where the game's difficulty was lowered just a bit and allowed for your team of 3 to level up and take out anything.

*sigh* It would be so nice, but Square-Enix would probably never do it. Though I know I'd buy it even if it cost me an extra $60 or something, so as long as a few other people shared the same mentality it wouldn't be a total waste of their time.

I would love this, but it probably wouldn't be one of their more profitable ventures. Too much risk when you can simply take an older title, remake/port it for the billionth time, then still pull in hefty numbers.

FF is pretty big on canonizing their past titles (even more so when the game features a focused pretty-boy protagonist.) so I'm surprised they haven't done at least something involving Vana'diel though. FFXI... which isn't a single story, but a series of unrelated adventures featuring multiple protagonists COULD be a (sorta out there) factor.

Before WotG, I always had this wacky stand-alone title idea where you'd play as a set cast of characters (key figures at least) experiencing the "truth" during the Crystal War. There was seriously some major story-telling potential there, and it's kinda disappointing that they had to fall back on some worn-out trope like time-travel/alternate worlds.

[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-03 13:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Caitsith.Jessie said:

You guys know about the FF7 remixer right? I recently modded my copy and wow it's as close to a remake as you can get at this time. If like me you just love FF7 and always wished for a graphical overhaul with the black mages music brought into the OST, this is for you :P

Here is some footage:
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-01-03 13:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow Sagi. Whoever made that did a really good job!
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-03 13:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Wow Sagi. Whoever made that did a really good job!

Dude it is amazing it's so well done, been playing in 1280x960 resolution but you can put it up to as high as you like. There is also a similar series of mods for FF8 but they have to be applied seperately and can be quite tricky but if anyone wants to know how jus add my msn and ask! I've got FF8 running in Hi-res with the OST replaced with OCremix and tracks from the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec orchestral collection.

Anyone interested in modding there FF7, you just need to install the game then download and run this it applies everything for you http://www.finalfantasy7pc.com/mods/remix-patcher/
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-03 15:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone keep up with that Chrono Trigger 3D re-make project that some people were working on? Square did the whole C&D on them and got them to quit as well.

If they wouldn't let people make a freeware 3D Chrono Trigger, I don't see them letting us run our own FFXI server. I can't imagine they're still making great profits off an SNES game.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2011-01-03 16:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Anyone keep up with that Chrono Trigger 3D re-make project that some people were working on? Square did the whole C&D on them and got them to quit as well.

If they wouldn't let people make a freeware 3D Chrono Trigger, I don't see them letting us run our own FFXI server. I can't imagine they're still making great profits off an SNES game.

I was so disappointed when that happened...to be honest, I thought the remake's version of the "Corridors of Time" song was even better than the original. Anyway, here's the trailer of what will never be(The music in the trailer isn't "Corridors", in case anyone is wondering; I was just saying I liked that song).

[+]
By Darkdante44 2011-01-13 19:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

im hosting my own private server here is how to connect