Triplus Dagger: "Enhances Triple Attack Damage".

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Triplus Dagger: "Enhances Triple Attack Damage".
Triplus Dagger: "Enhances Triple Attack Damage".
First Page 2
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 20:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Just came across this Dagger today, after a rough battle with a weaker Jormungand, and am slightly disappointed by its increase to Triple Attack Damage, or should i say noticeable lack there-of.

Eye-balling etc:

I cannot notice any distinguishable difference in Damage on Triple'd hits and non'tripled hits, They for all intents and purposes look identical.

That being said, I've forever broken every single parser i've run on this computer and none of them will parse for me, ever. they used too, don't anymore, So i'm curious if anyone has parsed a session with this weapon?

From my preliminary results I can only ascertain that it might be an Attack boost (maybe ~5%? would have to be low) on Triple-attack hits, and not a straight Damage Multiplier like the Empyrean Set Augment.

basically its a great weapon for DPS and the Triple Attack, But its "Increases Triple Attack Damage" is so low to the point its unnoticeable, and is likely a direct boost to attack (I.E like Berserk, say only about ~10% Attack boost?)

Regardless, Single-wielding this weapon to test its enhancement, I could not distinguish any damage difference, infact my highest Critical hit single-wielding this was 185, and it was on a non-triple attacked hit.

Anyone else got ahold of this weapon yet? Similar results? Completely different results? No one cares about it?

Edit: Should mention this was in Abyssea, However i was using RR/GH/Apoc, no STR/atk atma, and at the time of the test without food or buffs, so it was flat-attack (I.E, any significant boost to my attack would have been noticeable). I'll test outside of Abyssea later however...

Edit2:After a bit more testing, I would definitely place my money on a % increase to your attack during Triple hits.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 20:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd test on something low enough where you are capping pdif/fstr easy while high enough for triple attack to actually proc first
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 20:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'd test on something low enough where you are capping pdif/fstr easy while high enough for triple attack to actually proc first

Hmmm, Any suggestions? I was going to pick some of the ~EP mobs in the easier Abyssea zones, pump on Stout arm + VV + RCB and Atma of the Apocalypse and go see what i could get out of it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 20:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I suggest not abyssea for 1....

Pretty much any lvl 30-40ish mobs should work
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-12-26 20:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:

That being said, I've forever broken every single parser i've run on this computer and none of them will parse for me, ever. they used too, don't anymore,

I have nothing to add to the THF discussion, but have you changed the memloc code every update?
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 20:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:

That being said, I've forever broken every single parser i've run on this computer and none of them will parse for me, ever. they used too, don't anymore,

I have nothing to add to the THF discussion, but have you changed the memloc code every update?

Yah, After a while i read about that memlock thing and thought it was my cure :\

No parser works on my Computer still, I think i downloaded it once and altered the wrong file, now its forever broken =.=a

I chalk it up to I'm just too stupid to figure it out so i blame no one but myself for it, But i'm pissed i can't parse :|
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 20:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I suggest not abyssea for 1....

Pretty much any lvl 30-40ish mobs should work

yah, I'll go ahead and try that.

[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 20:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I know someone I had broken parsers like that on my old comp. Fresh installing never worked. Never did figure it out
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 20:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I know someone I had broken parsers like that on my old comp. Fresh installing never worked. Never did figure it out

Same problem I'm having :\
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 21:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay Well, Took your advice, Went and slaughtered a bunch of Gigas In xarcabard..

It did so appear my tripled hits were slightly higher on average occasionally.

For instance, my Average non-tripled hit was about 75~105, Where as my Average Tripled hit was about 80~110.

My highest Tripled non-critical hit was 114.
My highest Non-Tripled non-crit hit was 108.
My Highest Tripled Critical hit was 168.
My Highest Non-Trip Critical hit was 158.

Average on Tripled hits was ever so slightly higher, to the point it was nearly unnoticeable, but it was still there.

Take from that what you will, Its a very small sample size but it appears there is an impact, but its Low. I can test on different mobs if you'd like, But i figured the Gigas in Xarc were weak enough...?

Either Way, I'm running to Beauc now, Going to slaughter some Tigers there, I know they're around the ~38 Level range...
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 21:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, On Bat-Eyes in beauc: Heres some Preliminary results.

Attack: 433 (for both tests, no food)

Highest Tripled Non-Crit: 123
Highest Non-trip non-crit: 118
Highest Tripled Critical: 174
Highest non-trip Critical: 169

So again, The difference if there, And while not significant, is a bit more noticeable on these tests.

Take from that what you will... I know they're hideously small sample sizes. but my Average on Non-triple was around ~100, lows of 84, highest of 118.

Where as my Tripled Hits averaged ~105, Low of 93, high of 123.

Sorry I can't be of more Help, I wish i could get a Parser working :|
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 21:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming sample size wasn't the problem it pretty much proves that it doesn't mod attack/ratio/Cratio (or if it does then not only that) but directly mods dmg in some way. Seems to be about 5.5-6.5%

Too bad you don't have a parser though could just afk on a mob for awhile and take the highest dmgest and use a dagger with same dmg as your control group. Well you still could but would be tedios watching for highest dmgs
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-12-26 21:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for doing the testing. I was extremely annoyed that some *** went and posted on both the triplus/twilight pages that he had concluded with certainty that this was the new go-to offhand dagger without doing any work in obtaining / testing the two.

Cheers.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 21:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mogue said:
Thanks for doing the testing. I was extremely annoyed that some *** went and posted on both the triplus/twilight pages that he had concluded with certainty that this was the new go-to offhand dagger without doing any work in obtaining / testing the two.

Cheers.
Mainhand twilight off hand this and profit?
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-12-26 21:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Mogue said:

Cheers.
Mainhand twilight off hand this and profit?

I don't know what would be considered the best offhand at this point. Store TP Fusetto, Twilight, OAT are all contenders depending on you / your LS's ability. If I had to guess i'd say OAT.

As for mainhand, Twashtar, Daka +2, and STR Kila probably the way to go. Personally, I like to keep an arsenal.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 21:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't use str kila in abyssea... not at all. It was easy enough hitting fstr caps before lol. Anywho for those without WoE/emp.

I think the OATs higher delay might hinder it a bit as far as tp gain and dps goes. Like triples has same base dmg I think but swings 30ish% faster. Should offset epic OATing. And store tp obviously lacks the dps

Then you get into OAT interfereing with triple attack and thf set bonuses...

Also I thought evisceration beat rudras?
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-12-26 21:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I wouldn't use str kila in abyssea... not at all. It was easy enough hitting fstr caps before lol. Anywho for those without WoE/emp.

I think the OATs higher delay might hinder it a bit as far as tp gain and dps goes. And store tp obviously lacks the dps

Then you get into OAT interfereing with triple attack and thf set bonuses...

Also I thought evisceration beat rudras?
I don't want to get too far in the realm of not-my-expertise but i thought the appeal of STR Kila was that thf has a harder time capping attack than, say, 2h jobs. I'm probably wrong though.

Now that Atma of the Apocalypse exists OAT may indeed be weaker than it was.

I haven't tested or even read up too much on Rudra performance but I'm pretty sure I read someone on BG say that when stacked it outperformed evis but unstacked definitely not.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 21:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

True the attack on str kila is nice. But the gains are significantly diminished in abyssea where you are critting like a mad man on crack.

Also I'd say the -def would do more good considering it's proc rate and the amount of def lowered. Not to mention more pt friendly. Though I suppose it might be more painful to make lol.

I suppose how much af3+2 you are rocking would probably make a difference too
[+]
 Phoenix.Hagino
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2010-12-26 23:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember reading that at 200% it outperforms evis but at 100% its better, so probably better off to rudra and ride the aftermath with evis. as for the seemingly lack of damage increase on triplus, i sadly might still think about doing up auric offhand or twilight offhand, i should parse this week and see what i get. will post results~
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-27 10:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't Rudra's dump all over Evisc if stacked with SA or TA?

I thought so anyway :|
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-27 10:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for testing. So is the tl;dr for this thread: Don't waste your time on this dagger?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-27 10:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:

According to wiki it only has 4.5 ftp at 100% and same dex mod... so as long as most the hits crit evis should do more....
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-27 10:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Thanks for testing. So is the tl;dr for this thread: Don't waste your time on this dagger?

I'm thoroughly disappointed (though not the least surprised) at the triple attack damage increase, but it still has acceptable DPS and a good Triple Attack+%, So while its not amazing, it doesn't hurt to own one.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-27 10:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:

According to wiki it only has 4.5 ftp at 100% and same dex mod... so as long as most the hits crit evis should do more....

oh?

You're probably right... I just recall seeing Rudra's Storm SS' in the ~6k+ range with Sneak Attack.

It may have just been an E-peen shot and not at all the average, but i was under the impression it was rather powerful. Are you counting the "Deals Triple Damage" in that 4.5ftp thing? I'm not entirely good with all of that you must forgive me :\
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-27 10:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly the +triple attack dmg is just a bonus. A 38 dmg dagger with 176 delay is pretty nice on it's own
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-27 10:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Doesn't Rudra's dump all over Evisc if stacked with SA or TA? I thought so anyway :|
oh?

You're probably right... I just recall seeing Rudra's Storm SS' in the ~6k+ range with Sneak Attack.

It may have just been an E-peen shot and not at all the average, but i was under the impression it was rather powerful. Are you counting the "Deals Triple Damage" in that 4.5ftp thing? I'm not entirely good with all of that you must forgive me :\
Most the time "deals double, triple, quadruple dmg" text just means big ftp. It doesn't mean multi hit or whatever. Wiki doesn't have numbers but dmg does vary with tp... and 4.5 for 100% bodes well for some crazy 300% ftp. I mean fudo goes from 3.65 to 5.75 from 100-300% lol.

I might have to make it to do some simple testing. Or maybe jp wiki has it
 Sylph.Gredival
Server: Sylph
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2010-12-28 02:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming ideal circumstances for the dagger means max triple attack. So 40% through trait + merits + AO + Apoc + AF3 head + Triplus a 5% increase in triple attack damage means a flat 2% more damage for melee as a whole. Not too impressive.

There are two potential gems though if you think about the big picture.

A. Stacking it with AF3+2. It seems two pieces of AF3+2 give a 5% chance for the triple damage augment effect. The assumption seems to be that the set bonuses progress linearly, so you're looking at 20% chance to do triple damage on trip procs. So on 8% of your swings (triple attacks that also get AF3 augment) the 5% extra damage would be pretty significant.

B. Triple attack procs on weaponskills, especially if those are augmented by AF3 (fat chance but we can dream; imagine the potential numbers)

I just got mine so I'll grind some raw numbers out whenever I'm grinding Dominion for seals.

It's still not a bad dagger on its own though. I think at the very least it's got a leg up on Rapidus Sax, assuming you don't need the Haste or Accuracy. The delay/damage difference close to difference off-handing Blau vs. Sirocco back in the day and we all eventually concluded that Blau was worth the 28 delay.

I think Twilight/Triplus would trump Kila/Either. Not sure what happens once we add Mandau or Twashtar as the main. Need some more definite testing on the Twilight TP drain so we can peg a guesstimated stable stat. Sham floated STP+20 which sounds high to me atm.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-28 07:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd have to put Twilight's TP Drain as its lower proc sadly, however when it does proc it usually drains 8~10TP.

But if i had to guess after using it for god knows how long i'd put Twilights procs something like 50%MP, 40%HP, 10%TP.

I just know MP/HP are really high and TP is rather low, but TP procs the highest drain (5~10) where as HP/MP proc 1~5
 Asura.Backstab
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2011-01-08 03:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i got 4/5 thf af3 +2 and i dont see a 20% proc rate... Its much more just a 5% proc rate like when i had 2/5 af3 +2.
either SE fooked up again or i just have to watch the screen a bit more, i sadly cant parse anything since i play on a lolbox.

And yep twilight knife proc rate on tp drain is no where near 33%, i would place it around 10%.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-01-08 04:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Backstab said:
Well i got 4/5 thf af3 +2 and i dont see a 20% proc rate... Its much more just a 5% proc rate like when i had 2/5 af3 +2.
either SE fooked up again or i just have to watch the screen a bit more, i sadly cant parse anything since i play on a lolbox.

Yah, Full Set for THF Empyrean+2 is maybe 5% Total, 20% seems like a gross over-estimate someone made.

So its a 5% Chance to Triple Damage off of your ~13% Base Triple Attack (including head since its used for 5/5).

Its not awful, but 4/5 you should see probably ~4% chance ish.
First Page 2