Forum » FFXI » General » Geodes
Geodes
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-12-09 12:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Just been wondering about these. I know the current theory is that they drop from EP+ monsters with the element of the Geode based on the current day or weather (takes priority if there's any).

I think maybe it's not as simple as that and here's what I noticed...

Outside of Abyssea I haven't ever gotten a Geode based solely on the day of the week.

- Killed Sand Cockatrice in Cape Teriggan for 1.5 hours for Stingray trial. Got 1 Geode (Breeze) on Earthday during a 7-8 minute Wind Weather.

- Killed a few random things in Beaucedine Glacier/Xarcabard (S) while searching for Amphiptere's and got 2 Snow Geodes during Ice Weather (it was not Ice Day).

- Killed Lesser Colibri for 2 hours in Bhaflau. For about an hour during Earthday I got 1 Geode (Breeze) during a short spout of Wind Weather. I got 1 more Geode (Breeze) that was actually on Windday, BUT I was killing for the full duration of Windday and when I got the Breeze Geode, there was Wind Weather.

I was thinking at first that maybe Geodes only dropped based on the day of the week in abyssea, for the simple fact that weather does not exist in there. But then I was thinking of something different. Maybe Geodes only drop solely based on the day of the week IF the monster is above a certain level, like Level 80. That would explain why I got none from Sand Cockatrices or Lesser Colibri when only based on the day of the week, and would also explain why so many drop during Abyssea parties.

Just thought I post and see what people thought.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-09 12:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a shadow geode off a bunny in terrigan on darksday :/
and two thunder geodes on thundersday.
so i dunno.
maybe you're weird :P
i've found weather has to with some things though.
i think it pretty much means when weather is up you're more likely to get one related to that weather, and then other than that it goes by day. but i'd imagine you could still get one by day when weather is up though.
i think you are correct about the level thing.
but not level 80.
if i get it off a bunny in terrigan that should make it obv.
:P

it's probably more complicated than I would know though.
lots of other hidden factors and what-not methinks.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-12-09 12:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fairly certain I've gotten thunder geodes in ro'maeve while the weather was down (On lightningday). Maybe I just didn't notice the weather.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-12-09 12:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I was killing trees in Grauberg (s) for a staff trial during wind weather and got a Breeze Goede, then the weather changed to thunder shortly afterwards and I got a thunder Goede, both on lightsday.

Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-09 12:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe it's that certain geodes just have a higher chance to drop during the day and weather increases that chance even further or something... i dunno.
that makes the most sense taking into account what you've got^
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-12-09 12:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, just got a Thunder Geode from a Lesser Colibri, no weather. Took the time to post this for nothing haha.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2010-12-09 12:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Their are obtainable from day of the week or weather. Looks like weather takes prio tho. The drop rates however seems a bit beyond speratic. Some times they drop decently, other times jsut not at all
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2010-12-09 13:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/16669/geodes/

Its not very complicated.

You get Geo's based on Weather first, then DayofWeek 2nd. Anything that yields exp @ lvl 75. In all areas so far.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-09 13:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dannyl said:

You get Geo's based on Weather first, then DayofWeek 2nd. Anything that yields exp @ lvl 75. In all areas so far.
oh lol.
i must have misread Calatilla's post lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-12-09 13:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Made a few mil gil off these now since update as I cant seem to use heroes zones without crashing ><. Just a few observations :

Weather always takes precedence over day, so dont go farming fire geodes in a zone with double earth symbols all day >.>;

Drop rate under double weather and single weather is no doubt higher than it is with just day. I cant tell if there is an increase between single or double weather or having day too. For example I got 6 soil geodes in qs caves earthday and double earth symbols in about 1 hour, but at same time Ive gotten 6 wind under single wind weather in grauberg in about 1 hour also on watersday.

But definetly day alone sucks, went to kuftal mnk/dnc to rip through as many mobs as possible in firesday and only got one fire geode in the whole day and for the brief period wind popped got 2 breeze.

Best way to farm these in a nutshell is to carry around magian specs and farm during weather only, if you happen to be killing mobs on firesday and they drop anyway then great but I wouldnt farm just because its firesday you wont get many.

For now knowing the weather = gil. till price drops.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-12-09 13:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dannyl said:

Forgive me, I was wrong to think that Information for something that's only been in the game for 4 days may have some discrepencies.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-12-09 13:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

(edit :In reply to Mabrook), Yeah I would of said that had my drop rates been a bit clearer, and ive soloed about 30k exp now on mnk and sam its a fair bit to give an opinion still not enough tho. And I know what ur saying, like kinda the way obis benefit from weather drop rates on geodes do. For me roughly id say day is around 1-3% without TH, weather single or double seems to be nearer 10%. Would still need alot more testing to suggest anything more clear cut than the drop rates im estimating.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-12-09 13:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Aryianna said:
Edit: Perhaps it has partially to do when the Monster Spawns?

Nearly postive this is not the case because ive had mobs repop say on lightningsday then wind pops kill it and breeze geode drops. Just matters what day/weather is as it dies im sure, whats up when it pops wouldnt matter. Also mobs could be left alone in a zone for hours on end before last getting killed, ur idea would suggest you could get other element geodes from the current day/weather.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-09 13:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Bahamut.Dannyl said:

Forgive me, I was wrong to think that Information for something that's only been in the game for 4 days may have some discrepencies.
did you look to see if there was already a thread about it?
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-12-09 13:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh its done now, no point bitching, not the 1st time another thread has been made for a topic thats already been started, Besides alot of threads trail off the initial point of why the thread was started, like this one will probably do.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-09 13:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said:
Meh its done now, no point bitching, not the 1st time another thread has been made for a topic thats already been started, Besides alot of threads trail off the initial point of why the thread was started, like this one will probably do.
i like geodes, they are pretty sweet dudes.
[+]