WTF -.-
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-07 18:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Blumpkin said:
Program files > steam > steamapps >common > ffxi > SE > ff11 lol pretty sure its right
There is your problem.

The download is meant for non steam users.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-12-07 18:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Krizz im not sure exactly it booted up, update prompted, it checked to see how much of an update i would need, it then checked a ton of files took about 2 minutes and then it "updated/downloaded" so fast that it didnt even seem like it was really downloading anything I checked to see if I could grab the file names missing but it was way too quick. then everything was fine
 Cerberus.Lilyula
Server: Cerberus
user: Lilyula
By Cerberus.Lilyula 2010-12-07 18:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasnt sure where to post, but anyone keep getting "Runtime Error" and then dc shortly after? Any ideas whats causing this or how to fix it?
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-12-07 18:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i had 2 friends who kept d/cin'g last night i think 1 was on xbox the other was on PC. the one on PC did the same update as I did
 Cerberus.Lilyula
By Cerberus.Lilyula 2010-12-07 18:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

i partied lastnight with a bunch of 360 users and saw how they all dc'd at once. However, today on the computer while playing everytime i try to load spellcast, i get a running time error and dc completely from the game. :(
 Ifrit.Ravahan
Server: Ifrit
user: Ravahan
By Ifrit.Ravahan 2010-12-07 18:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Every time I've ever had problems updating (especially if it keeps hanging on one specific file) its been because for one reason or another my port forwarding got screwed up. Make sure you have your PC set to a static IP (very easy to do) and forward the ports indicated on this page http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/sudden_strike/firwalls/port_forwarding.htm If you're not sure how to access your router's port forwarding section, a simple google search including your brand and model will clue you in.

You'll also experience fewer red dots.

If you're on a console, you can set your gaming device as your DMZ and it'll get no NAT interference.
 Cerberus.Lilyula
By Cerberus.Lilyula 2010-12-07 19:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

if i dont load spellcast, i have no issues dc'ing and can stay on just fine. It's the minute that i load the program where everything gets screwed up and dc's occur. Would setting my pc to static IP have any effect on that?
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-12-07 19:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i dunno i only use windower not spellcast. funny thought my windower seems to behave better last night, before when i would log out and leave the main select your character screen windower would shut down with an error, last night i logged out and was able to back all the way back out to POL screens
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-12-07 20:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Krizz im not sure exactly it booted up, update prompted, it checked to see how much of an update i would need, it then checked a ton of files took about 2 minutes and then it "updated/downloaded" so fast that it didnt even seem like it was really downloading anything I checked to see if I could grab the file names missing but it was way too quick. then everything was fine
No worries. They're probably the smallest files in the entire update anyway. Even with congestion it shouldn't be a problem.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-12-07 20:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Lilyula said:
i partied lastnight with a bunch of 360 users and saw how they all dc'd at once. However, today on the computer while playing everytime i try to load spellcast, i get a running time error and dc completely from the game. :(
do you have any of the gear from the update equiped? the spellcast resources.xml hasnt been update (to my knowledge) yet, so anything that isnt in it will give you that error
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-07 20:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Gilgamesh.Blumpkin said:
Program files > steam > steamapps >common > ffxi > SE > ff11 lol pretty sure its right
There is your problem.

The download is meant for non steam users.
Not true. As a steam user I used a download from BG and it worked flawlessly. Also if you're extracting a downloaded archive to the steam version, make sure you're using the appropriate folder.
x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ffxi\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI
or
x:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ffxi\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI

Your drive letter in place of x.
 Cerberus.Lilyula
By Cerberus.Lilyula 2010-12-07 21:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

the only gear i have from update is base body and hands but they arent in my spellcast file as usable pieces atm. they just are in my inv, would that make a difference?