Charming Pets Lost Art?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Charming pets lost art?
Charming pets lost art?
 Gilgamesh.Jobant
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Jobant
By Gilgamesh.Jobant 2010-12-06 21:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Any point in charm gear any more as Abyssea is all jugs, pet food and reward? Or did I miss something?
 Leviathan.Gotterdammerung
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2010-12-06 21:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

if u believe that abyssea is the only thing worth doing then for now yeh charm dont work in there.

But it still has its uses outside abyssea.

and in abyssea it can still be used as a quick claim tool and a bind/hate/kite tool

Its possible this is the last abyssea update and updates 95 and 99 could bring about more uses for charm for current lvl appropriate end game content.

Personally, i don't see charm making a strong comeback though.
I believe the main reason for SE boosting jug pet performance was to justify the atrophy of charm. The hp and stats of a jug pet can be easily regulated to be balanced however the stats of the monsters have to be adequate to challenge the players. This means that if charm was working normal today then the pets a bst could charm would become exponentially stronger by 99. Case in point a 99 bst would be able to easily play with lvl 101 monsters as pets, and they would have just as much hp and stats as any other wild monster of that type.

If your asking this question because ur a bandwagon beast and u want to know if its worth it to blow the dough on a charm set, i would say at least make a small cheap one.

if ur asking this question because ur an old nostalgic bst mourning the loss of a class defining skill, i say 2 u cheer up its still useful and in trade for losing some of its usefulness we got some kick butt jug power.

Personally, as a career main bst, i promise u i will ALWAYS have my charm set on me.
 Phoenix.Tealsic
Server: Phoenix
user: Tealsic
By Phoenix.Tealsic 2010-12-06 21:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

ditto i worked too hard to put togather my charm set even when i was on levi with gotter im not about to throw it all away i put it in storage(and yes im still updating just incase)
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2010-12-06 21:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Mines still in my gobbie bag and i use it often but ive stored a few extemporaneus pieces and now run with a charm set made up of left over pieces of my primal rend macro + an apollos
 Phoenix.Tealsic
Server: Phoenix
user: Tealsic
By Phoenix.Tealsic 2010-12-06 22:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i have yet to get past floor 10 but with the new update i hope to low man it shouldnt be too hard. I favor THF pets with dbl eva axes im a little far behinde on bst gear tho came back from a 8month break of loosing weight. lol
 Gilgamesh.Jobant
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Jobant
By Gilgamesh.Jobant 2010-12-07 06:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice post, Gotter. I mostly feeling nostalgic but also wondering if charming is dying, why so much +chr on AF3 gear?
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2010-12-07 07:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there are still many known applicable uses for chr. It helps with primal rend dmg ( a bst only ws)

it helps with charm accuracy when using it for kiting purposes. I.e. a resisted charm wont bind.

and some non job related benefits like improving waltz results from sub dnc.

And then there are speculatory benefits to the stat as well. Some people read wiki and are then 100% sure the stat only does these measureable things, however some people don't believe SE would create a stat with such limited use, and therefore equate chr to previous RPG stats like LUK that effected performance in a subtle and unpredictable way.

Wichever side of the fence u are on with this, due to the nature of the class and wat we do chr is just a fitting stat for us.

Do take note tho that previously every single AF set not only bumped chr but also bumped charm+ and since the onset of the jug power increase there hasnt been a single charm + beast equip added.
There hasnt even been charm + on the list for the various random augments u can get to gear wearable by bst.

I maintain SE has decided to fuel Call beast in order to avoid the problems created by having beastmaster able to turn the exponentially stronger monsters against each other. However, as i said in my OP charm is not dead and has still has its uses.