Global monster/drop list
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2010-11-28 19:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wondering if there's a list, or an XML file or anything containing simply a list of all NPCs in all zones. Parsing wiki is crap, cause wiki is crap, and I found no reliable lists online. For my own database I'd need a list of all monsters and their corresponding drops (preferably distinguished by zone), although simply a list (or any parseable raw data structure) of all NPCs would do for now, I could get the relevant data from there. Any ideas? Did I miss something incredibly obvious?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-11-28 19:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

wy is wiki crap
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
By Leviathan.Arcon 2010-11-29 02:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's incomplete and erroneous.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-29 02:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I'm aware, .dat mining can only bring up the mobs in the zone, not what they drop. Every time there's an update there's a big race on sites like BG to work out how to pop each NM, and to find where every bit of gear comes from. While it's known where all the NMs are, and what all the new gear is, there's no way to tie the two together without actually getting the gear to drop. For that reason, all NM drops are filled in by the community, there's no automated way of doing it. As such, wiki is probably going to be the most complete list you'll get, since it's the most commonly used (to my knowledge). But yes, being community populated, it'll have errors, because people are stupid.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
By Leviathan.Arcon 2010-11-29 04:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I was just wondering if anyone else bothered to compile a somewhat accurate list before. If not, I'd just take the monster list and parse every mobs wiki page, I assume that would be the best thing to do. I remember FFXI-Atlas had a nice bestiary with lots of info, but the site seems to be down right now, and no idea if you could even browse it correctly. Also, the site seems somewhat out of date..

Oh well guess I'll just start it myself, scrap together whatever info I can find and trust.