Sick Of LolAbyssea Shells?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Sick of lolAbyssea Shells?
Sick of lolAbyssea Shells?
By Halfpint 2010-11-29 14:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Nekdal, it's a Crap shoot, luck of the draw, you get the idea.

There are some very successful Endgame shells (Armada, Kontinue, pretty sure there are others)that have gotten quite a few their members the AF3+2. I do not know how it was determined who got what when but every member I have seen has at leaast one AF3+2 item and some have more. Right now Kon is in Abyssea until all their members have af3+2 hats. Not sure if the LS did the NM fights for the seals for their members or if the members were responsible for getting their own seals.

You have to figure out what you are willing to put up with. I prefer my rather laid back LS, that doesn't berate you everytime you screw up, to one of the more intense shells. I get enough stress at work...don't need it in a game I play for fun.
 Cerberus.Nekdal
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2010-11-29 14:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i dont have a LS nomore been solo with the wife but now i cant play cause my xbox finally go the red ring of death ; ; and im tired of shouting for 3hrs+ for a aNM just for seals alrdy have SAM AF3+1 head just need to finish my pld drk mnk head then start on pld/mnk feet.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-11-29 14:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Just comes down to getting lucky and finding the right group. I currently have 7 pieces of +2, and Id guess roughly 20 or so pieces of +1. I'm not a linkshell leader or sackholder either. I just found a good group of people that I like to do runs with.
 Cerberus.Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2010-11-29 14:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah but when i see the shouts the seals i need are plainly locked to 1 or 2 ppl only so yeah i dont know all the setups for NM's and don't have the gil to buy the itms since ppl want like 50-400k a pop so fts i dont support greedy ppl and won be able toget on for awhile till i get the new 250GB xbox360.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-11-29 15:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Sovereign said:
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Leviathan.Vincento said:
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Step 1. Level MNK.

Step 2. Make your best friend lvl WHM.

Step 3. Unlock blue !! weaponskills.

Step 4. Kill anything for whatever drops you want!

ftfy

Ew melee ; ;

Yeah, a skilled RDM/NIN can basically solo or duo 80% of the NMs in Abyssea, and the job seems to be the safest option for most NM tasks.

Even still, MNK/NIN tank strategies work well on a lot of things, and could in some cases allow success more easily than what a RDM/NIN kite strategy could provide (Lord Varney comes to mind). Though, a MNK and WHM duo is not ideal for these situations... I'd take a RDM instead, for higher refresh ticks, Phalanx II, and the obvious enfeebles.

MNK + WHM can do as many NMs as RDM duo really. RDM is nice for yellow procs but even then, I find it easier to get lights with MNK + WHM and keep time up as a duo than we did with 2x RDM.
 Cerberus.Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2010-11-29 18:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

well im a good mnk dont have Usu gear which i really want have BB B.haidate meh gear for mnk not alot of merits only on SAM & DRK mostly i wouldnt mind helping ppl just to see what ppl do and how they do it ect. ect.
 Leviathan.Vincento
Server: Leviathan
user: Vincento
By Leviathan.Vincento 2010-11-30 07:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the research to get anywhere. Judging by your personality, I take it you had a linkshell get you what you have.

Don't buy seals, make your own shout group. Nothing is difficult once you get past the fear of not having a linkshell leader herd you and your fellow sheep through the events.

Merit, it potentially takes less than a week to cap [important]merits on all jobs.

Change your mindset, nothing requires a linkshell to get what you need. Someone most of this board still considers a troll said it best "The best way is to log in, /shout in Jeuno for your NM , farm then logout."
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-11-30 11:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The challenge with "finding" an Abyssea Linkshell is that it's still a relatively new event, and there's a LOT of content in there ... Abyssea groups/linkshells are not particularly well-defined at this point (in most cases).

People have varied goals/interests for Abyssea. Sure, some of the goals can overlap, if the group is very skilled/efficient, but basically, if you go in to Abyssea, you could have any of the following objectives:

1. farming AF3 "base" feet
2. farming AF3+1 seals
3. farming key items to spawn 2nd tier "boss" NMs in Scars zones that drop AF3+2 items (cards, jewels, etc.)
4. farming Atma key items
5. farming Visions zones AF3 accessories, etc.
6. farming Visions zones for Key Items to spawn 2nd/3rd tier NMs for Rare/Ex drops (Goading Belt, Danzo Sune-Ate, etc.)
7. farming Abyssea-type VNMs and/or Iron Giants
8. EXP/Time-Extension

For example, if a group is really focused on acquiring Atma and AF3+2 items from Scars zones, you might be disappointed/frustrated if your goal is to acquire a Goading Belt.

Adding to the confusion, is the fact that Traverser Stones limit each participant's time available for Abyssea, and there's WIDE variance in how well players manage/manipulate their Traverser Stone/time. The new trend in FFXI elitism is no longer EXP/hour @ the Greater Colibri camp, or how much Haste%+ your 2-hand melee job has ... it's now "how well can you not waste my Abyssea time?"

So, in summary, I'd say it's VERY important to isolate, or at least prioritize, your individually-specific goals for Abyssea, AND FIND A LINKSHELL THAT IS CONSISTENT WITH YOUR GOALS. Do not expect someone to read your mind or tailor THEIR Linkshell to your needs.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-30 11:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
The challenge with "finding" an Abyssea Linkshell is that it's still a relatively new event, and there's a LOT of content in there ... Abyssea groups/linkshells are not particularly well-defined at this point (in most cases).

People have varied goals/interests for Abyssea. Sure, some of the goals can overlap, if the group is very skilled/efficient, but basically, if you go in to Abyssea, you could have any of the following objectives:

1. farming AF3 "base" feet
2. farming AF3+1 seals
3. farming key items to spawn 2nd tier "boss" NMs in Scars zones that drop AF3+2 items (cards, jewels, etc.)
4. farming Atma key items
5. farming Visions zones AF3 accessories, etc.
6. farming Visions zones for Key Items to spawn 2nd/3rd tier NMs for Rare/Ex drops (Goading Belt, Danzo Sune-Ate, etc.)
7. farming Abyssea-type VNMs and/or Iron Giants
8. EXP/Time-Extension

For example, if a group is really focused on acquiring Atma and AF3+2 items from Scars zones, you might be disappointed/frustrated if your goal is to acquire a Goading Belt.

Adding to the confusion, is the fact that Traverser Stones limit each participant's time available for Abyssea, and there's WIDE variance in how well players manage/manipulate their Traverser Stone/time. The new trend in FFXI elitism is no longer EXP/hour @ the Greater Colibri camp, or how much Haste%+ your 2-hand melee job has ... it's now "how well can you not waste my Abyssea time?"

So, in summary, I'd say it's VERY important to isolate, or at least prioritize, your individually-specific goals for Abyssea, AND FIND A LINKSHELL THAT IS CONSISTENT WITH YOUR GOALS. Do not expect someone to read your mind or tailor THEIR Linkshell to your needs.

see the thing is I don't get how people prioritize Gear>Atmas. There are linkshells on Fenrir who don't even try for them.

VV and RR are just too good. Not only does VV add 50STR,and double attack but the regain let's you tweak your Store TP Build a little bit.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-11-30 11:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

see the thing is I don't get how people prioritize Gear>Atmas. There are linkshells on Fenrir who don't even try for them.

VV and RR are just too good. Not only does VV add 50STR,and double attack but the regain let's you tweak your Store TP Build a little bit.

The obvious answer is that gear can be utilized outside Abyssea, while Atma can not.
That doesn't mean I don't agree with you though, on some level. There's a handful of Atma that are just ridiculous, and well worth the effort to acquire them.

Point of my post, however, is to make FFXI players more aware that an "Abyssea Linkshell" is far different than a "Limbus Linkshell" or a "Dynamis Linkshell". Generally, in a Limbus or Dynamis linkshell, all members' goals tend to overlap. In Abyssea, there's a plethora of different group goals/tasks (see list in my above post), and those tasks simply do not always overlap.

So, I'm just pointing out that complaining about your Abyssea linkshell is pointless. The problem more likely lies with the complainant ... who needs to do a better job evaluating his/her Abyssea goals, and finding a linkshell that is working on THOSE goals.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-11-30 11:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Yea this is my problem too lol, I have to beg people to come and help get the best atma in the entire game. People are like Seals? Seals? I need Seals

I was in a French LS right after scars came out that went on seal runs. No one had atmas, no one understood the !!s and it was pretty fail. We only met once a week cause of EU/US times. I was in a second LS after and it was better but still no one had atmas other than the mission ones and no one cared to get them.

I just started a new LS, I have a perfect understanding (It's insane how many people still don't) of how to proc all the !!s and the group of people in the LS have a variety of jobs that will be ideal for whatever our goal is for that fight i.e. blue!! setup or grellow!! setup.

Anyways we just started the LS and I have told everyone we will not be going on seal or equip runs until we have farmed 4 decent starting atmas. People consistently will ask what seals drop from the NMs we are fighting like it's the only thing they care about. I have to tell them that we will be able to get seals soooo much more easily after we (my DDs) have the better atmas. I'm sitting there telling my DD friends that they need to understand how much better this atma is over any other equip they could get and they still don't get it. Or a ton of people just piss away stones on quests when they could be saving time and procing grellow!! with us after we farm these atmas to get mad seal drops

Luckily, we were able to get off to a decent start got most people 2nd lunar abyssite and got 1/4 of the first atmas I want to start with.

inb4loluneedaLStodoAbyssea.. sorry i don't have a BFF MNK with b.belt and ***, I also personally feel if you get a grellow!! every single time you farm seals/+2items you are better off than going solo/trio to make more efficient runs.

It seems like some people get it and some people don't. The ones who don't are the ones spending all their stones on quests still or the ones who think they know how the lights work in an exp party but really are full of fail. It's the same ones who want to fight for 1 seal on quests while going into Abyssea over and over with no atmas. It's the ones who just expect drops to happen without blue!! or the ones who seal farm without covering as many grellow spells as they can.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-11-30 12:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The obvious answer is that gear can be utilized outside Abyssea, while Atma can not.
That doesn't mean I don't agree with you though, on some level. There's a handful of Atma that are just ridiculous, and well worth the effort to acquire them.

Point of my post, however, is to make FFXI players more aware that an "Abyssea Linkshell" is far different than a "Limbus Linkshell" or a "Dynamis Linkshell". Generally, in a Limbus or Dynamis linkshell, all members' goals tend to overlap. In Abyssea, there's a plethora of different group goals/tasks (see list in my above post), and those tasks simply do not always overlap.

So, I'm just pointing out that complaining about your Abyssea linkshell is pointless. The problem more likely lies with the complainant ... who needs to do a better job evaluating his/her Abyssea goals, and finding a linkshell that is working on THOSE goals.

This was a problem in the last 2 LS that tried, but then again they also didn't proc grellow!! or use atmas.

For my LS it's going to be pretty simple and will cover all bases.

3 days a week:
1 day to go for seals and +2 items
1 day for farming pop items and atmas
1 day for getting equip drops

People can use points to buy LS time and schedule a run for their specific need i.e. if they weren't getting enough seals as they wanted from the normal seal runs then they use points for LS time and we spam their NMs over and over on a run procing grellow!!
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-11-30 12:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

It seems like some people get it and some people don't. The ones who don't are the ones spending all their stones on quests still or the ones who think they know how the lights work in an exp party but really are full of fail. It's the same ones who want to fight for 1 seal on quests while going into Abyssea over and over with no atmas. It's the ones who just expect drops to happen without blue!! or the ones who seal farm without covering as many grellow spells as they can.

Bravo!!
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-12-01 02:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Good point here.. but some shells have swiched over from A limbus type to a Abysea link event. I know I was in one, and it seems , what Ziggyy was saying that there are some LS that you work just to get either the leader or leaders their gear first..and then whatever you r others may have been posting to go do, have been " prioritzed" b.c its " get the leader their gear first, and that's the frusterating part. No one likes to get treasure for one one person.

I see it all the time... I guess its just best to Low-man small groups and work very hard at obtaining what you need faster as small groups. Large groups.. you're gonna be a while, and your going to be outfitting your leader or (s) first before yourself...

...Your choice...

Sylph.Gredival
Server: Sylph
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2010-12-01 03:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to take a few assumptions for granted, but it seems like the OP probably just doesn't understand a very basic ground rule for every LS.

Linkshells are not charities; they are selfish symbiotes.

They are collections of selfish individuals who have all decided that the most efficient way to accomplish individual goals is quid-pro-quo helping a larger group accomplish external goals in exchange for their help with personal goals. Newbies entering any LS worth its salt are always going to start at the bottom. You might get scraps, a lot of them if the shell is really good, but you will never leapfrog over anyone on pecking order until you surpass them in value to the shell through time and work. It's not your time and effort, it's your relative time and effort compared to everyone else.

Leaders tend to get gear first, this is true. But it's pretty likely that they have years and years put into the shell. Most people who've been in a DKP Linkshell have probably also seen that the leaders tend to be on top of DKP lists. That's usually no accident.

Plus Abyssea is really annoying from an item distribution wise because so many jobs compete for the same upgrade items, and you need to collect six of them and go through multiple NMs to get to the final NM.

Fenrir.Skarwind said:

Atma are worth getting, but since the whole alliance gets it at the same time. If you have a group that does Abyssea even semi-seriously, you eventually stop needing to go through the hassle of farming Atma cause everyone has them.

The lack of rarity is also an independent reason why people don't care about it. If something is common, it becomes a norm and not something standout even if it has decent inherent value. Think Haubergeon. Rarity inherently increases value, even if the jump isn't that great. Think Cerberus Mantle +1 pre-crash.
 Asura.Emoneaone
Server: Asura
user: Oldsarge
By Asura.Emoneaone 2010-12-01 03:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Come to Asura and join Companions LS. Great folks, events scheduled for almost everyday (dynamis, limbus, Abyssea, etc.)

Best group I've ever met for getting things done.