Macro Q for XBox
 Titan.Endiirine
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Endiirine
By Titan.Endiirine 2010-11-23 11:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Casual player question:

Playing PLD. Having issues with how to set up macros. For those of us with only 6 lines...how do you typically do it? Do you set up 1 macro to swap all 6 items in (say, for enmity or haste or TP or whatnot) and then another to switch back...or do you only swap in/out 2 items per /ja or /ma macro?

With the former, I have to hit minimum 3 macros every time I want to do anything (TPing along, hit heal/HPcheat gear swap macro, hit Cure4 macro, hit TPgear macro) or not have any hope to get the most out of it. Otherwise, I'm only swapping in a couple choice items...and it doesnt much matter. Or, do what I am doing now and basically not gearswap.

I understand I will never be as good as 3rd party program users. I get it. Please dont flame. I just want to be better.
 Siren.Corrin
Server: Siren
By Siren.Corrin 2010-11-23 11:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Before I started using windower I would have gear swaps in one macro and JAs, spells, etc. in another. Though if it was just swapping 1 or 2 pieces I might put it all in one macro. But I only use the keyboard so I don't know how well this would work out with a controller if that is your preference for playing.
And you should really gear swap even if it just a few items. Hope this at least somewhat helpful :)
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-11-23 11:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't let the number of macros you have to press limit how much you change your gear.

If swapping a piece(s) of gear will aid the situation, (ie. STR for a WS) then you should do it and do it without compromise. Use as many macros as you have to.
[+]
 Ramuh.Nesya
Server: Ramuh
user: Nesya
By Ramuh.Nesya 2010-11-23 11:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

well, i dont play PLD but i have RL pld friend, and he has difficulty with that too. basically it comes down EMN VS NOT DYING. to be effective youll need plenty of macros, as PLD has plenty of choices. try and streamline/slimline your macros i.e Iron Ram set = Magic Def and EMN, pretty good choice for one macro, versa hauberk set = EMN, attack and PDT, another good choice for a macro. its all about taking your time and making sure you have no overlaps so your not spamming macros and losing where you are. id go for visible gear macro (5 pieces) and a hidden gear macro (6 pieces) and use the same equip slots for EMN, PDT, MDT, Att/STR, VIT/DEF. dont know how useful this is for you, but if it makes sense, its a start at least :D
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-23 11:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Endiirine said:
Casual player question: Playing PLD. Having issues with how to set up macros. For those of us with only 6 lines...how do you typically do it? Do you set up 1 macro to swap all 6 items in (say, for enmity or haste or TP or whatnot) and then another to switch back...or do you only swap in/out 2 items per /ja or /ma macro? With the former, I have to hit minimum 3 macros every time I want to do anything (TPing along, hit heal/HPcheat gear swap macro, hit Cure4 macro, hit TPgear macro) or not have any hope to get the most out of it. Otherwise, I'm only swapping in a couple choice items...and it doesnt much matter. Or, do what I am doing now and basically not gearswap. I understand I will never be as good as 3rd party program users. I get it. Please dont flame. I just want to be better.
can optimize your macro's and make use of both the equivelent of ctrl and alt macro rows. have like all ur gear swapping on one row mixed in with ur most used spells, and have ur JA's/WS and other gear swaps on the next
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-23 11:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Best option is to make like 2 macros, one with 6 gear swaps, then the next macro with the spell/ja command and 5 gear swaps. It's not as hard as it sounds, I used to play BLM like that prewindower.
 Titan.Endiirine
Server: Titan
user: Endiirine
By Titan.Endiirine 2010-11-23 11:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I am indeed using the controller pad. /epicfail. One of these days I need to get a wireless keyboard for it. So for me, its all the damn scrolling through the menu at the top (can't just hit F5 or whatever) that slows me down.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-11-23 19:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Endiirine said:
I am indeed using the controller pad. /epicfail. One of these days I need to get a wireless keyboard for it. So for me, its all the damn scrolling through the menu at the top (can't just hit F5 or whatever) that slows me down.

I'm on xbox too, but I've never taught myself to hit the F keys to directly activate the macro, and it's never slowed me down hitting macros via controller, its all about making your macros so they're comfortable to use and learn your way around them like the back of your hand.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tejas
Server: Bahamut
user: Tejas
By Bahamut.Tejas 2010-11-23 20:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I also play on failbox and have same gear swapping issues. The poster who mentioned visible in one,hidden in another is right on point. I am sure you like me get massive graphic lag when swapping visible gear so best to only do it once if avoidable. And the guy playing blm on xbox I feel that pain of multiple pallet for different teirs of spells, and some sixty odd pieces of gear to swap.....
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-11-24 05:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

On 360 as well as a PLD. I stick to 2 equip slots per JA / spell even with a keyboard. I do have a second set with actual full gear swaps for things but usually not fighting something that the 2 slot method can't handle.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2010-11-24 05:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

/sea SMN on ffxiclopedia.org

Specifically look for the Summoner Macro walkthrough. (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Summoner_Macro_Guide)

Relevant how? It discusses using these two commands:

/Macro Set
/Macro Book

I use both to move around macro palettes when I need to swap alot of gear off and on.

I hope this helps, if OP or anyone has more detailed questions I'm game to help explain. :D

EDIT: Posted link I was referring to, figuring it'd be easier/ for best