Looking To Come Back, But...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Looking to come back, but...
Looking to come back, but...
 Unicorn.Sedres
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2010-11-19 13:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks,

I recently moved to New Zealand from the UK, and I'm starting to feel the itch with regards to playing XI again. There's just something I'm unsure of, and hopefully you guys may have some ideas.

Basically internet here is a bit different from back home. As opposed to paying for download speeds, you're paying for download limits. Because of this, I have no idea how much data I'll be transfering and how much of the limit I'll be using up each month if I started playing FF. I've read somewhere to allow for between 100-200mb every hour when playing online games, I'm just wondering if you guys would have any other information you could provide.

Thanks!

Sed.
 Titan.Wombat
Server: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-11-19 13:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Sedres said:
Hey folks,

I recently moved to New Zealand from the UK, and I'm starting to feel the itch with regards to playing XI again. There's just something I'm unsure of, and hopefully you guys may have some ideas.

Seriously, SE gets blamed for everything >.>

You're just allergic to sheep
[+]
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-11-19 15:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

How much bandwidth can a game designed to be playable on a 56 kbps (or lower) connection take?
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-11-19 15:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Sedres said:
Hey folks,

Basically internet here is a bit different from back home. As opposed to paying for download speeds, you're paying for download limits. Because of this, I have no idea how much data I'll be transfering and how much of the limit I'll be using up each month if I started playing FF. I've read somewhere to allow for between 100-200mb every hour when playing online games, I'm just wondering if you guys would have any other information you could provide.

Thanks!

Sed.
Find a provider not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, theres always one.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2010-11-20 01:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

There's Slingshot, a provider that piggybacks from your land line (assuming you have one) and offers no limits off peak, but other than that it's all pretty much limted.
 Unicorn.Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2010-11-22 01:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Soooo anyone else got any information? Or is Shiroi's estimation pretty much on the mark.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-22 01:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

well first off SE bottle necks the connection on their end to 56k last i heard. Then you have lot US companys were looking to adopt this practice. Comcast was gonna limit it to 250gig a month then cut people of if hit the limit or charge extra. It was trying be blocked in court i think comcast won but then didn't hear anything past that on it. Other companys were looking to do similar plans.

guess have figure out max for 56k/s for a day could be.

edit: honestly you're prob better staying away. I mean hell you in new zealand look around you..