FDA To Block Sales Of Alcoholic Drinks With Caffei

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » FDA to block sales of alcoholic drinks with caffei
FDA to block sales of alcoholic drinks with caffei
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-11-18 13:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, try banning Jägerbombs. I personally don't agree with the impulsive reaction from the FDA. I've heard stories on the news that young kids would drink several of these. They are double the alcohol content by volume of beer and come in 24 ounce cans. So 1 can is as much alcohol as a 48oz bottle of beer. Just 1-2 cans can probably make these kids plenty wasted. Just let natural selection run it's course.
[+]
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-18 13:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Warning: Rachel Maddow video

Figured a video would be more likely for the people against this to watch than posting links for them to read.
Watch to 2:05 for her interpretation of the effects of mixing the two.
Watch further to hear her interpretation of why they are acting against these companies.
[+]
By slowlulz 2010-11-18 13:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
slowlulz said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Well I dont have four lokos in my fridge and 12% alcohol seems obscene probably tastes like ***. I don't even drink these kind of drinks my girlfriend does. They are like 600 calories a can so yea, I stay away lol (Sparks). The problem with the FDA pulling this is like what was mentioned in the article, they can pull the plug on four lokos because they arn't properly labled like Sparks are and have been for years. My girlfriends little sister (14) drinks these with her friends, so these are definately more popular with the younger underage drinkers. Silly kids, when i was underage I just scraped together a couple of bucks and got too 24oz 211 Steel reserves and got *** up on just those 2. I didn't need caffiene and sugar and 700 calories to have a good time. Guess I'm just an old *** tho (23)
7 bucks and a 24 pack of natti ice back in the day :D

Did you bring the Gamecube?

Phoenix.Darki said:
Most people drink alcohol to feel cool.

meh..it might start out that way..but then it's actually a nice buzz/aquired taste. So no..I don't drink to feel cool
By slowlulz 2010-11-18 13:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

that first quote was gonna say "gamecube, nope...playstation 1 :P"
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-11-18 13:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Scragg said:
Yeah, try banning Jägerbombs. I personally don't agree with the impulsive reaction from the FDA. I've heard stories on the news that young kids would drink several of these. They are double the alcohol content by volume of beer and come in 24 ounce cans. So 1 can is as much alcohol as a 48oz bottle of beer. Just 1-2 cans can probably make these kids plenty wasted. Just let natural selection run it's course.

Jagerbombs!!!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-18 13:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Beer distributors, Four Loko manufacturer, will halt shipping of caffeinated, alcoholic drink to NY

So I woke up to read this little gem of a story. I've had this stuff before it's alright, nothing special, but you can definitely taste the alcohol in it.

What I fail to understand though is this part:
Quote:
The fruity malt beverage leaped into the spotlight in New York last month after members of a Bronx gang forced a victim to guzzle 10 cans before beating him mercilessly in what was described as a gay bias attack.
It's physically impossible to guzzle 10 cans of this stuff, 3 maybe 4 at the most before you would start puking it up. To even be able to drink 10 cans at a steady rate, without at the very least pass out, would take roughly 3 hours to a heavy alcoholic. 10 cans is equivalent to about 30 cans of regular beer. Don't forget it's sweet and thicker than beer.

Aside from the obvious impossibility of that part, their logic for the ban also includes:
Quote:
"People were complaining that kids were being sold Four Lokos in bodegas," said Assistant Chief Carlos Gomez, head of the NYPD's Bronx patrol bureau.

Nine stores in East Tremont, Castle Hill, Wakefield and Parkchester sold the drink to a teenage police cadet, cops said. They were hit with summonses.

Three additional stores - all in Wakefield - sold Four Loko and loose cigarettes to the undercover teen, leading to arrests of four employees, all charged with the sale of alcohol to a minor and the sale of untaxed cigarettes.
I don't get this reasoning at all. Ban it because some kids were able to buy it from some shady stores?

From the thread I tried to start about this same thing.
 Asura.Urarenge
Server: Asura
user: johnpc831
By Asura.Urarenge 2010-11-18 13:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I drank a big can of these and it was like the worst night of my life. Though I also drank like six other kinds of liquor that night too, so that might have had something to do with it. Coincidentally, my little thumbnail photo on the left was taken on that very night.
By slowlulz 2010-11-18 13:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Urarenge said:
I drank a big can of these and it was like the worst night of my life. Though I also drank like six other kinds of liquor that night too, so that might have had something to do with it. Coincidentally, my little thumbnail photo on the left was taken on that very night.

lol..
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-11-18 13:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

FDA must be getting pretty bored to waste their time with this ***
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-11-18 13:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Scragg said:
The man is a genious.
By slowlulz 2010-11-18 13:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
FDA must be getting pretty bored to waste their time with this ***

is the fda also involved in changing happy meals in california so kids don't get fat?
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-11-18 13:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Urarenge said:

I can tell lol.
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-18 13:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think their rationale is justified granted who the product is marketed to, stupid young people who don't know their limits or how exactly this drink affects their bodies ability to gauge how drunk they are. As was said in the video I linked, the combination isn't a new thing, they're not telling the companies you can't sell this type of drink. They're saying you can't sell this type of drink... in the volume that it currently is. Please just watch the video I linked before you assume it is big government out to ruin everything again. Here it is again...

Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-18 13:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Fenrir.Scragg said:
The man is a genious.
never knew there was an o in there :P
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-18 13:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

lol at the people that replied to me.

Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-18 13:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I said cool, It could've meant to feel 'chill' or to feel 'in'
;) you people... YOU PEOPLE.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-18 13:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
NO U!
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-11-18 13:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:

Most underage kids prob drink to feel cool or be part of the "in" crowd.

Most adults? They do it to get wasted and have a good time or other issues.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-18 13:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
or other issues.

THIS SOUNDS SERIOOOOOOOOOOOOOUS.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-11-18 13:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Some drink because they are an alcoholic or suffering from depression. Neither of those reasons would make someone "cool".
 Titan.Wombat
Server: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-11-18 13:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm guessing this has something to do with Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors lobbyists. Both companies stopped selling caffeinated drinks in 2008 after they were sued. "If all the college kids are drinking Four Loko, who's going to drink our piss-water beers?"
 Luz
By Luz 2010-11-18 13:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread was purely politically driven, much like Excelior's Washington Post thread that slandered a ton of blatantly partisan hacks (everyone knew everything in that story already) and one person who isn't (Rachel Maddow). This thread is little more than a means to spread more blatantly untrue anti-liberal propaganda.

Tone down the rhetoric in your OP next time and come up with a title that isn't so obviously fake because a lot of people knew beforehand that alcohol+caffeine drinks have been around a while. If they honestly believed this was a ban on combining the two, they would see more products listed than is currently on the FDA's warning list.

You're trying too hard.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-18 13:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Some drink because they are an alcoholic or suffering from depression. Neither of those reasons would make someone "cool".
You're taking my comment too far sir!
Down dog, DOWN.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-11-18 13:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Wombat said:
I'm guessing this has something to do with Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors lobbyists. Both companies stopped selling caffeinated drinks in 2008 after they were sued. "If all the college kids are drinking Four Loko, who's going to drink our piss-water beers?"

QFT
By slowlulz 2010-11-18 13:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:

some people drink so they can write better country music songs
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-11-18 13:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

slowlulz said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

some people drink so they can write better country music songs

Or shitty punk rock songs :P
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-18 13:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Down dog, DOWN.
most girls have sex with many men to feel cool.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-11-18 14:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Down dog, DOWN.
most girls have sex with many men to feel cool.
Unless they have a BMW I don't see the 'cool' in this.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Server: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2010-11-18 14:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, it sucks that they would ban these. These drinks are great for people on a budget, yet still want to get *** up with friends.
I have started a few nights with one of these (Watermelon tastes gewd) to get a good buzz going, then just take it slow the rest of the night.