Forum » FFXIV » General » Poor, poor FFXIV. =(
Poor, poor FFXIV. =(
 Sylph.Elgorian
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Elgorian
By Sylph.Elgorian 2010-12-06 17:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that we will see a lot more players join up with the PS3 release, I know I have friends that want to play but can't afford a computer to run the game and PS3 is just the cheaper option.

I'm more of a PC person to begin with so I went ahead and put a PC together, anticipating more than just XIV to be released, and my old one was getting rather outdated.
 Unicorn.Helenaagogo
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Helenaagogo 2010-12-06 17:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV makes me want to..

yea....that.
 Sylph.Belmonth
Server: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-12-07 08:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, FFXIV din't have much players to begin with, din't it only sell about 600k copies? a lot of people skipped it too due to hardware requierements.
By Unmei 2010-12-07 09:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

By Cecilharvey 2010-12-07 17:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

i think the progression is too slow -_-; you need 27k exp to rank up 25 to 26, somes ppl will disagree with me ofc, but i do really think if you can do level a job like armorer by doing one hundred time the sames synthesys just for one rank up, you're really bored of the life -_-;

I tryed it, i'm someone incredibly patient in Real life, i really love FFXIV even more than XI just because they force ppl to work for themselves, aka bye bye all the useless leechs i could come across in FFXI endgame, but seriously, they did it wrong...
 Luz
By Luz 2010-12-08 12:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't want to create a new thread. You guys think this game will be looked at in a more positive light by the time PS3 version comes out? I'm sick of upgrading PCs, I would only play this on PS3. I heard the recent updates had a lot of popular changes.
 Bismarck.Rellz
Server: Bismarck
user: Relleum
By Bismarck.Rellz 2010-12-08 12:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

im sure it will be. after the jan update the game will be in much better condition. hopefully in the 2 month time frame in between the jan update and PS3 release there will also be more areas and such which would satisfy another of ffxivs problems
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-08 12:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Luz said:
Didn't want to create a new thread. You guys think this game will be looked at in a more positive light by the time PS3 version comes out? I'm sick of upgrading PCs, I would only play this on PS3. I heard the recent updates had a lot of popular changes.
I can see two things happening for their PS3 launch.

1. They launch on time. They don't go into a huge ad campaign and just release the game on schedule for the same reasons they did the PC version. They continue on their 3 month cycle of updating the game and then once they reach a point of stability and content start advertising. Or they could wait until the first expansion pack is ready and then start heavily advertising.

2. Push the launch date back. Make the game worthy of the FF namesake; fix all of the crap people are complaining about and polish it up nicely. Then start their advertisement campaign and have a successful (re)launch where people are actually talking about the game in a good light.
By Unmei 2010-12-08 13:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking @ the gear from NM Zanig'oh I wonder if their hinting that Musketeer will also be a playable job next update.
By Dubont 2010-12-08 16:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Unmei said:
Looking @ the gear from NM Zanig'oh I wonder if their hinting that Musketeer will also be a playable job next update.
I doubt it...at least not until PS3
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-08 20:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Luz said:
Didn't want to create a new thread. You guys think this game will be looked at in a more positive light by the time PS3 version comes out?
There's no question, but the black marks from the release won't get redacted or deleted, so it'll be an uphill battle. It's a big hole to dig out of, even if new reviews are all favorable.

All MMO's have the same growth curve per release. A popular re-release can drive population up, but you only have so much time to deliver such a thing before the inevitable falloff from your first boost cancels it out. We also don't know how many, if any, developers were pulled off the PS3 development in order to save the PC release short-term, so the PS3 release date may be more of a guideline than anything.

Let's see how it goes. =)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Unmei 2010-12-09 08:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecilharvey said:
i think the progression is too slow -_-; you need 27k exp to rank up 25 to 26, somes ppl will disagree with me ofc, but i do really think if you can do level a job like armorer by doing one hundred time the sames synthesys just for one rank up, you're really bored of the life -_-;

I tryed it, i'm someone incredibly patient in Real life, i really love FFXIV even more than XI just because they force ppl to work for themselves, aka bye bye all the useless leechs i could come across in FFXI endgame, but seriously, they did it wrong...

Yeah I agree plus they need to put in a dam seek function so I can log in and form a prty instead of having to wait for people to join recruitment, the current system would be great if there was a seek function added.
By Dubont 2010-12-09 12:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Unmei said:
Cecilharvey said:

Yeah I agree plus they need to put in a dam seek function so I can log in and form a prty instead of having to wait for people to join recruitment, the current system would be great if there was a seek function added.
I actually have to agree on this...
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-09 12:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the problem isn't the amount of work invested, but the lack of payoff currently in the game. People are more inclined to invest years working for something if they have a clear picture of what additional benefits, powers, access, etc they get in return.

The problem with XIV's system isn't necessarily the progression, but the fact that the required effort doesn't pay off with really any uniquely cooler gear, region access, quest lines, or prestige due to the utter lack of content at the moment. With no clear idea of what we're working for, it's difficult for people to justify the enormous time investment.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-12-09 13:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. Even simple things like letting low level characters wear high level armours removes the whole goal-oriented "prestige" notion associated with high levels and accomplishments/reward-dynamic typical in almost every other MMO.

Perhaps Unique/Untradeable NM gears in the future will be so distinctive to fill that particular niche, but it does remove any sort of "special feeling" one gets for crunching numbers and grinding exp bars.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-09 13:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people are just going on faith. Basically, that if they put in the effort now, the prestige and coolness will be patched in later.

I'm holding off for now. They've re-invented so much of the usual MMO mechanic that it's hard for me to assume they'll provide end-game content similar to what was in XI. Until I see what they come up with, I'm not inclined to put in that amount of effort on faith alone.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-09 15:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Oct. 15 = Announced trial extension
Nov. 16 = Announced trial extension

Dec. 17 = Announced trial extension? Well, sometime next week anyway I'll expect this.
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-12-09 21:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Oct. 15 = Announced trial extension
Nov. 16 = Announced trial extension

Dec. 17 = Announced trial extension? Well, sometime next week anyway I'll expect this.

They should probably just extend the free trial all the way until after the spring update or the PS3 release.

The new NM fights they're showing look neat, but a handful of Rank 50 battles isn't going to keep most players interested enough to start paying monthly fees...
 Leviathan.Bassclef
Server: Leviathan
user: Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-10 01:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
They should probably just extend the free trial all the way until after the spring update or the PS3 release.

According to the new announcement at the Lodestone, that's what it looks like SE is planning on doing.
By IsraelMagdiel 2010-12-10 01:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c499e4c5df4f3f0fde1fb47a28574cb9c3991c9f

Extended until further notice.
 Leviathan.Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-10 01:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel so bad for XIV development team... Perhaps I should do a XIV marathon to show my support :x
By IsraelMagdiel 2010-12-10 02:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

i love the game. im excited ill be playing for free for 6 months now.
By Dubont 2010-12-10 02:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Bassclef said:
I feel so bad for XIV development team... Perhaps I should do a XIV marathon to show my support :x
I feel sorry for them too...can you just imagine how many of them were taken out back and shot? I think this shows that SE is adopting the Chinese method of "You *** it up, you die."
 Leviathan.Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-10 02:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I just feel like SE is at that point in the Left 4 Dead games where it's black-and-white and if you are pinned down one more time, it's game over. The panicked frenzy to make sure nothing else happens and a First-aid kit is within view... but then the AI Director spawns the special infected, a few Tanks and Witches along with a horde for safe measure.
 Caitsith.Jadi
Server: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-12-10 04:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I think the problem isn't the amount of work invested, but the lack of payoff currently in the game. People are more inclined to invest years working for something if they have a clear picture of what additional benefits, powers, access, etc they get in return.

The problem with XIV's system isn't necessarily the progression, but the fact that the required effort doesn't pay off with really any uniquely cooler gear, region access, quest lines, or prestige due to the utter lack of content at the moment. With no clear idea of what we're working for, it's difficult for people to justify the enormous time investment.

I think that your mostly right but I have faith as you say not because of the cool as hell gear I could have gotten in FFXI, "virtual gear" is worthless, you can't take it with you but more so about some of the moments I had.

Like the first time I beat Ramuah in the smn mini battle at level 20. Or the first time I beat Prommy-mea as a summoner who was spit out of the battle with 12 hp and 3 mp along side his entirely dead party. Or the time I got claim on KA for my party as a level 20 warrior and lived. Or the time I tanked Ouryu as a whm, or time time I was tanking Byakko on nin and we killed him with only 11 members.

There are moments I have from FFXI that I have had in no other game.. and I have faith that FFXIV will also have future moments like those. So why don't I continue to play FFXI? Because it's old as dirt and no longer fun, it's time for something new.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-10 09:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Luz said:
I can see two things happening for their PS3 launch.

1. They launch on time. They don't go into a huge ad campaign and just release the game on schedule for the same reasons they did the PC version. They continue on their 3 month cycle of updating the game and then once they reach a point of stability and content start advertising. Or they could wait until the first expansion pack is ready and then start heavily advertising.

2. Push the launch date back. Make the game worthy of the FF namesake; fix all of the crap people are complaining about and polish it up nicely. Then start their advertisement campaign and have a successful (re)launch where people are actually talking about the game in a good light.
I'm glad they decided to go with #2 :)
By Unmei 2010-12-10 10:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jadi said:

There are moments I have from FFXI that I have had in no other game.. and I have faith that FFXIV will also have future moments like those. So why don't I continue to play FFXI? Because it's old as dirt and no longer fun, it's time for something new.

Yeah I'm totally with you on this right here...I looked at the latest update for 11 and was think of just doing Blu to 90 and messing around with the new stuff but then I changed my mind 11 just doesn't give me that feeling it did a year ago. I was addicted but now the urge is just gone I haven't played since September and I don't miss it at all. I thought this last expansion would at least pull me back long enough to get Blu to 90 but it hasn't. I'm not saying it not still good but its just not for me anymore.